Page 3 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 3:10PM #21
Esdraelon

Mar 27, 2012 -- 3:05PM, loveontheair wrote:

Hello,

Didn't we have a scare sometime back with Apple juice? I own a very nice juicer and juice my own Lemonade, among other juices. I believe we in this country have a bigger problem with *sugar than this *pink slime caper. However, it means being a wise consumer and not purchasing these products. Too many people I know drink a 12 pk of mountain Dew a day. Now while I fine this way too much, I certainly don't want Gov't to tell me what I can or can not buy or drink. Put a sticker with *pink slime on the package. Let the consumer decide.

love

Sugar: Public Enemy #1.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 3:13PM #22
christine3

Mar 27, 2012 -- 3:00PM, rabello wrote:

since pink slime and most other stuff that gets added to processed food to make it "processed" and industrial-strength, doesn't immediately kill. 

What is funny is that, for all the pro-USDA and pro-cattle industry posts on this and the other pink slime thread and all the yak-yak about the educated reading packaging labels, "pink slime" is NOT something anybody would find on a label of ground-up meat, precisely because our "watchdog" agency says people don't need to know about it!!  Ironies abound.

And they get away with a lot.  Ammonium hydroxide is in other foods also, bread products.  Some will argue that "miniscule amount" in a single food never hurt.  But when you take the whole business of food production from the plant or animal to what it ends up in the store, the problem becomes cumulative across many food items.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 3:34PM #23
rabello

Hello,

Didn't we have a scare sometime back with Apple juice? I own a very nice juicer and juice my own Lemonade, among other juices. I believe we in this country have a bigger problem with *sugar than this *pink slime caper. However, it means being a wise consumer and not purchasing these products. Too many people I know drink a 12 pk of mountain Dew a day. Now while I fine this way too much, I certainly don't want Gov't to tell me what I can or can not buy or drink. Put a sticker with *pink slime on the package. Let the consumer decide.

love

Mar 27, 2012 -- 3:10PM, Esdraelon wrote:

OMG

We've already had this discussion on this board, about processed sugar.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 28, 2012 - 12:52PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 3:59PM #24
Esdraelon

Mar 27, 2012 -- 3:34PM, rabello wrote:

Hello,

love

Mar 27, 2012 -- 3:10PM, Esdraelon wrote:

OMG

We've already had this discussion on this board.

LOL

My dad started smoking when he was 9. All his life the cigarette companies denied that smoking had anything to do with lung cancer. It was a 'fact', they stated, that smoking did not cause cancer. You could not tell dad that he was hurting himself as he was already far gone in addiction by that time. Finally at 65, they found a spot on his lung, the size of your little finger nail. Small, but the worse kind, and it had metastasized. Open and shut. He was dead at 67.

The ironical thing is he stopped smoking after the was diagnosed........

When you consume the standard vending maching bottle of carbonated soda, you are consuming close to 42 teaspoons of processed sugar. I guess the fact that there are vending machines throughout public schools that that does not play a large factor in schoolkids walking around like little hippopotamuses. Peoploe are just starting to admit the cause.

But I digress. Dad said he smoked because he enjoyed it, just like sugar addicts consume it because they enjoy it.

Wanna soft drink(s)?....Knock yourself out!

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 28, 2012 - 12:54PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 4:04PM #25
mountain_man

Mar 27, 2012 -- 2:42PM, christine3 wrote:

Here is a video about fake blueberries in our food and what they are made of.

Does it show the label? That label will tell you exactly what they are made of. Now, show how any of those ingredients are harmful. I want the science, the facts, not biased opinions.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 4:12PM #26
mountain_man

Didn't we have a scare sometime back with Apple juice?

Yes. When daminozide (alar) was found by scientific studies a breakdown product (unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine) to be a POSSIBLE carcinogen the product was taken off the market for food use.

I own a very nice juicer and juice my own Lemonade, among other juices. I believe we in this country have a bigger problem with *sugar than this *pink slime caper. However, it means being a wise consumer and not purchasing these products. Too many people I know drink a 12 pk of mountain Dew a day. Now while I fine this way too much, I certainly don't want Gov't to tell me what I can or can not buy or drink. Put a sticker with *pink slime on the package. Let the consumer decide.

They can't. There is really no such thing as "pink slime." What does exist is finely textured beef trimmings. That is on the label of any product that contains that ingredient. In this context; "beef trimmings" does not mean fat or tendons.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 4:14PM #27
mountain_man

Mar 27, 2012 -- 3:13PM, christine3 wrote:

And they get away with a lot.  Ammonium hydroxide is in other foods also, bread products.  Some will argue that "miniscule amount" in a single food never hurt.

You have provided no evidence to show it does.

But when you take the whole business of food production from the plant or animal to what it ends up in the store, the problem becomes cumulative across many food items.

Do you have any studies to show the harm of this supposed "cumulative" problem?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 7:33PM #28
christine3

Mar 27, 2012 -- 4:12PM, mountain_man wrote:

Didn't we have a scare sometime back with Apple juice?

Yes. When daminozide (alar) was found by scientific studies a breakdown product (unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine) to be a POSSIBLE carcinogen the product was taken off the market for food use.

I own a very nice juicer and juice my own Lemonade, among other juices. I believe we in this country have a bigger problem with *sugar than this *pink slime caper. However, it means being a wise consumer and not purchasing these products. Too many people I know drink a 12 pk of mountain Dew a day. Now while I fine this way too much, I certainly don't want Gov't to tell me what I can or can not buy or drink. Put a sticker with *pink slime on the package. Let the consumer decide.

They can't. There is really no such thing as "pink slime." What does exist is finely textured beef trimmings. That is on the label of any product that contains that ingredient. In this context; "beef trimmings" does not mean fat or tendons.

Pink slime’ is beef trimmings. It is made from waste trimmings that are simmered at a low heat until the fat separates from the muscle. It is run through a machine to separate the fat and muscle then it is sent through pipes where it is sprayed with ammonia before being packaged into meat bricks. The bricks are then frozen and sent to grocery stores where it is added to most ground beef as a filler.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 7:45PM #29
arielg

Mar 27, 2012 -- 2:42PM, christine3 wrote:

Mar 27, 2012 -- 2:03PM, arielg wrote:

In California, a new product has become available to the public.  Manufactured blueberries

What are they made of?

Here is a video about fake blueberries in our food and what they are made of.

tv.naturalnews.com/v.asp?v=7ec06d27b1a94...

It is a chemical concoction imitating food, which is becoming more amd more common in manufactured and processed foods.  Any flavor and appearence can be imitated today.  The more a food item becomes cooked,  canned, frozen, packaged and processed , the more questionable it becomes as a food for the organism.

Simple, wholesome food as close to it's natural state as possible is always better. Junk food is chemical imitation of food. There is no need to have a lab and study these elements to know it is trash and will bring cumulative long term problems.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 7:47PM #30
Fodaoson

Pink slime is a slang word for a type of  mechanically recovered meat product. It's also known as boneless lean beef trimmings or lean finely textured beef, and is an industrial byproduct created from low quality beef trimmings treated with  ammonia gas to render it acceptable for food health standards

GARDEN CITY, Kansas -- The controversy over "pink slime" is forcing a company to lay off hundreds of workers, including some in Kansas.

Beef Products, Inc. is closing its Garden City plant at Holcomb, putting 236 workers out of a job effective immediately.

A spokesman says the employees will continue to receive full benefits and pay for an undetermined amount of time.

Community leaders are worried about what it will mean for the area.

"Two hundred thirty six jobs lost with what I've been told is a salary close to $50,000 a year, that's going to be something over $11 million not rolling around in our community," said Paul Pfeifer, President, First National Bank of Holcomb. "And, as a general rule of thumb, is that it rolls over five to seven times, so you even take the bottom of that at five times and that's $55 million that's not rolling around in our community. That's huge."

There are four other plant closing with  similar economic/job related  results.  To replace the recovered lean meat will require an additional 1.5 million head of cattle  and a rise in beef prices

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook