Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Kids Signing Away Right to Enjoy Life?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 4:00PM #1
Ironhold
MSNBC report

In yet another effort to prevent being sued, school districts are now making parents sign waivers in which they recognize that participation in sports can lead to injury or even death, and that in either instance the child may lose the right to enjoy the rest of their life.

Is this what we're down to now, folks?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 4:08PM #2
arielg

There are just too many lawyers in this country and people who want use them to take advantage of any opportunity to get something for nothing.

Moderated by Stardove on Mar 17, 2012 - 07:35PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 4:46PM #3
mountain_man

Kids have had to have parents sign such "waivers" since the 1950's. This ain't nothin' new.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 28, 2012 - 01:12PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 6:20PM #4
rocketjsquirell

In some, enlightened, states these waivers are not worth the parper on which they are written.  The purpose of these waivers is to dissuade injured people from making legal and legitimate claims and to allow the school board to ignore the health and welfare of the students under its charge.

Any school board which requires such waivers should be voted out of office. Such a school board is working against the education and welfare of the students. The members of such a school board and of any administrators who support such waivers and dereliction of duty to the students should be criminal. Sadly, these anti-student actions are often viewed as "cost saving measures" which is apparently more important than the well being and education of students.  Go figure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 6:39PM #5
jane2

Mar 16, 2012 -- 4:46PM, mountain_man wrote:

Kids have had to have parents sign such "waivers" since the 1950's. This ain't nothin' new.

yes and yes..............................

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 28, 2012 - 01:12PM
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 7:11PM #6
rangerken

We didn't require such things during the fifteen years I spent as a soccer coach at Newburyport High School. The schools my kids attended in Needham didn't require this. And when I went to school I don't recall anyone caring. Of course back then in 1949 through the fifties, bringing a rifle or shotgun to school resulted in the principal asking...as the weapon was placed in his office...if I was going target shooting or hunting after school that day!

Some rules are just stupid.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 8:30PM #7
mountain_man

As I said, this is nothing new. The writing may be a bit melodramatic, but no kid is "signing away their right to enjoy life." They're just admitting, and the parents too, that they can get seriously injured playing sports. Such "permission slips" were required in all the schools I went to if you wanted to play sports. I signed my mothers name on every one of them. Cool

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 8:39PM #8
TemplarS

Here's the deal.

I've been involved with sports all my life (some of them, e.g. skiing, reasonably dangerous). The fact is, people sometimes get hurt.  Children sometimes get hurt. Sometimes it is the actions of coaches or others which are the proximate cause of the injury.  But most often it is an accident, pure and simple.  

The waiver cited is not intended to prevent lawsuits in cases where the negligence of coaches or others caused an injury, and in fact it has no legal basis to do so.   It is intended to prevent people from claiming "Oh, I had no idea my son could get seriously injured playing this sport, I thought it was just a game."  People generally know skiing can be dangerous, but don't realize that track, or even baseball, have risks as well.  People joke about getting hit by a javelin- but it has happened.  You can get hit in the face by a pitch and lose an eye, or even get hit in the chest and die. This has happened many times;  these are tragedies, but  nobody's fault; they are, in fact,  risks inherent in the game.  Nobody should be able to claim that they are unaware of this.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 8:58PM #9
jane2

Mar 16, 2012 -- 8:39PM, TemplarS wrote:

Here's the deal.

I've been involved with sports all my life (some of them, e.g. skiing, reasonably dangerous). The fact is, people sometimes get hurt.  Children sometimes get hurt. Sometimes it is the actions of coaches or others which are the proximate cause of the injury.  But most often it is an accident, pure and simple.  

The waiver cited is not intended to prevent lawsuits in cases where the negligence of coaches or others caused an injury, and in fact it has no legal basis to do so.   It is intended to prevent people from claiming "Oh, I had no idea my son could get seriously injured playing this sport, I thought it was just a game."  People generally know skiing can be dangerous, but don't realize that track, or even baseball, have risks as well.  People joke about getting hit by a javelin- but it has happened.  You can get hit in the face by a pitch and lose an eye, or even get hit in the chest and die. This has happened many times;  these are tragedies, but  nobody's fault; they are, in fact,  risks inherent in the game.  Nobody should be able to claim that they are unaware of this.  

Great post, Templar

Our children ran xc and track. We and our insurance paid for our older daughter's shin-splints (sp?) and she was in a cast for weeks. We never signed a waiver. As I've mentioned our son ran on a college scholarship.

Our younger daughter did para-sailing and sky-diving, too. Our grandson is skiing in the Northeast--icy slopes.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 11:36PM #10
karbie

The only real change in our town was that now you have to pay extra if your child wants to particiapate in sports or music. When my son was taing Tae Kwon Do, we were responsible for getting him his mouth guard and athletic supporter, and no child was allowed to spar without a helmet, chest pad, mouth guard. He'd just reached purple stripe when he quit.

Nothing in life is without a risk. My son was the only kid in the neighborhood who wore a bike helmet. I was real popular when he told the kids giving him a hard time about it "My Mom says I have to wear a helmet because I've got a brain to lose."

Accidents can happen. negligence or anything of a criminal nature can go through the court system.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook