Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View Red Meat and Early Death
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2012 - 3:08PM #51
teilhard

Yes ... At now Age 63, I am VERY glad that I never was a Tobacco Addict and that I have been reasonably Reasonable-and-Moderate in my own Life Style ... So I am quite fairly Healthy, taking no Prescription Meds and having had few Needs for Surgeries/Clinic Visits ... I am in a Good Position to enjoy my four Children and ten GrandChildren ... (Of course I am ALSO Blessed by Good DNA, being the Progeny of Healthy Parents who lived to Ages 90 and 98 ...)

Mar 15, 2012 -- 3:01PM, rabello wrote:

Well it's like anything else that carries longterm negative consequences, like smoking.  By the time a smoker comes down with emphysema or COPD and comes to regret his/her years of choosing to smoke, it's too late.  If te person is old, well, I guess it's no big deal, esp if the person is old enough to have his treatment covered by MediCare.  But if the disability hits early, to someone who still has minor-aged children, then it is a big deal, for the kids, anyway.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2012 - 3:09PM #52
TemplarS

Mar 15, 2012 -- 3:01PM, rabello wrote:

Well it's like anything else that carries longterm negative consequences, like smoking. 

You know, if somebody smoked 2 or 3 cigarettes a day, they might be able to argue that the risk was acceptible.  Which is fine.  Except nobody smokes 2 or 3 cigarettes a day; that's the great thing (for the industry) about an addictive product.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2012 - 3:23PM #53
mountain_man

Mar 15, 2012 -- 1:14PM, arielg wrote:

Let's pretend that 10 out of 10 people  that die were breathing.  Breathing kills.  What a stupid argument.

You're catching on. That argument is as stupid as claiming meat kills.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2012 - 12:47AM #54
Erey

I believe I could if I wanted to devote the extra 30 minutes to find a source start a thread that has solid research proof that the best way to live a long and productive, healthy life are:

1. Be a positive person surrounded by loved ones  and

2. Take regular exercise. 

I believe these two things are better health measures and make a larger difference to almost any individual than what you do or don't put in your mouth.  Those two things are more important that if you eat red meat, sprinkle your food with flax seed, buy organic, eat any vegetables at all or drink diet coke.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2012 - 3:00PM #55
teilhard

Maintaining good digestive Health ... Moderation in (almost) all Things ... Wash Hands often ... PLAY as much as possible ... Music; Art ...

Mar 18, 2012 -- 12:47AM, Erey wrote:

I believe I could if I wanted to devote the extra 30 minutes to find a source start a thread that has solid research proof that the best way to live a long and productive, healthy life are:

1. Be a positive person surrounded by loved ones  and

2. Take regular exercise. 

I believe these two things are better health measures and make a larger difference to almost any individual than what you do or don't put in your mouth.  Those two things are more important that if you eat red meat, sprinkle your food with flax seed, buy organic, eat any vegetables at all or drink diet coke.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 4:20PM #56
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook