Switch to Forum Live View New Zealand Anti- Smoking Add Banned for Showing Dad Bottle Feeding
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 1:49PM #1
jesusfreakgal

Apparently in NZ an anti- smoking was banned when the La Leche League complained about the ad. The thing is, this ad had NOTHING to do with bottle VS breast feeding. This makes me wonder though. Since they had no way of knowing (without asking the Ruby player or his wife) what was in the bottle or why the baby was being breast fed. It appears that this group just looked at the advertisement as ‘he is well known in this country and this ad is being shown on TV and therefore it WILL cause many to turn away from breastfeeding their children.’ But that is not true IMO, particularly since this ad has nothing to do with breast or bottle feeding. Also, by being so anti- bottle feeding, it seems to ignore all the many valid reasons parents don’t breast feed, situations essentially where the mother CAN’T breast feed. The alternative to breastfeeding would be that the baby would starve and the parents get charged with neglect. While breast is best, we have to realize that when we see a mother or father bottle feeding their child, that unless we know the person all we can know (without asking the person) is that they are bottle feeding, and not why. To judge that bottle feeding as sad, bad and a tragedy only says that we don't care why they are doing so, even if that reason is one where the alternative is that the child would starve to death. Parents need to go with what works best for them, not what some outside group deems is best without knowing individual sutiations. Here is the link to the article I read: ca.shine.yahoo.com/see-controversial-pho...#_=_
JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2012 - 5:35AM #2
jesusfreakgal

This article that I read makes me wonder if this group (Le Leche League) believes that parents who bottle feed (at the very least if they can breast feed) are bad parents. I think that people need to realize that aside from there being many reasons why a mother CANNOT breast feed, that some mothers just don't want to, and not because don't want the best for their child. To exclusively breast feed ones child (for 4-6 months), including not feeding that child breast milk from a bottle, is a HUGE sacrifice for the mother. It means that for those 4- 6 months of exclusively breast feeding that they cannot go out without their child for much more then an hour. Essentially, they can never really have a break. Its one thing if a mother MOSTLY breast feeds, and uses a bottle (breast milk or not) when she can't be home. Yes being a parent requires sacrifice, that shouldn't mean ones a couple has a child that from that time until the child is 18, they no longer have a life, and its ALL that child until then (as in they can no longer see their friends or do anything that has nothing to do with, or is not for the specific good of the child, such as working). This would also mean that the child`s parents would go from being a couple to JUST being parents in a way. They wouldn`t be able to hire a babysitter and go out and spend time alone anymore.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 9:31AM #3
jesusfreakgal

Anyone who says or suggests the idea that if one is a good parent that (ALWAYS) will breast feed their child and to bottle feed (for almost any reason) makes one a bad parent is unfair and wrong. First (as I probably already said) there could be the situation where the mother CAN'T breast feed (for various reasons, such as producing not enough breast milk to keep the baby alive), or situations where the mother simply can't be there to breast feed their child ALL the time (such as the situation where the mother HAS to, for financial reasons, work before the baby is past breast feedingage). Also, what if the contents of the bottle are breast milk? Is that wrong too? Is so why? What about the situations where there is no mother/ birth mother? For example, mother died giving birth to the child or shortly after, or the child was adopted?

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2012 - 11:58AM #4
klm

also dads can't breast feed.    I think an ad showinng a father feeding his child a bottle seems very loving.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook