Page 5 of 51  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 51 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 9:34AM #41
PosingAsMe

Mar 10, 2012 -- 10:50PM, teilhard wrote:

My Sweetie-Spouse and I have several Veggie-and-Salad-Only Meals per Week ... We eat a fair Amount of Fresh Fruit ... But we've not dogmatic about it ...

I like a little meat in my diet, and I enjoy the occasional "meat indulgence," but I long ago gave up the not uncommon American practice of having a big slab of meat on my plate as a dinner staple.  I find that just a half pound of meat works splendidly to "spice" a blend of mostly veggies and rice and makes a quite tasty meal that lasts me for 4-5 dinners. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 10:22AM #42
PosingAsMe

Mar 9, 2012 -- 4:04PM, Erey wrote:

If it were seriously dangerous I would be dead by now because I ate scads of school lunches in my day. 

Food when you think about it can be disgusting.  But somehow I still love it.  I have renewed my love of raw oysters recently to the horror of my family.  Can you believe nobody will even try one?

Yes, food really can be "disgusting"!  Or, rather, eating in general can be.  Some years ago I was sitting and having a lunch of baked chicken at a Boston Market.  And as I sat there rending the meat and flesh and sinews from the haunch of chicken bone with my teeth and the grease from it stained my mouth and fingers I had this sudden flash of revelation of "eyooooo!"  But it did not slow me down!  That was a tasty piece of chicken!  I have reflected on that experience often, and I think the source of it is a kind of squeamishness which we have about being animal.  Eating, of course, is a very animal process - there is nothing particularly refined and lofty and poetically noble about macerating and swallowing once living organisms and subjecting them to further indignities of the digestive and alimentary processes (as Marge Simpson exclaimed  while changing Maggie's diaper, "Eyooo!  How did you turn cinammon apple sauce into that!").  I find it interesting that we shroud our most basic animal behaviors in rituals to try and mask their crude animality.  The messiness of eating is cleaned up by table manners (and having others far away take care of the nasty, messy business of butchering and cleaning meat).  The alimentary process is done in private, perfumed rooms where the evidence of the crime is hastily flushed away (the hilarious denial of animality here is perfectly captured by my sainted mother's exiting a recently used bathroom which had an "air freshener" and saying, 'apparently somebody sh*t a pine tree.') And the messy (but really so very pleasant) business of sex is also done in private and heavily veiled in secrecy (though granted less nowadays than ever before!).   I am not advocating abandoning our standard social proprieties - I just think it is interesting to reflect i what they mean - and I think a lot of their meaning has to with our squeamishness about being animals ourselves.  It would hurt us not at all to be less squeamish about that because for all its messiness, biological life is a very good thing!

P.S.  Erey, I liked your work playing Purdey in The New Avengers very much when I was a teenager.  You were wonderful.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 10:58AM #43
teilhard

We indeed have some ambiguous Feelings / Thoughts / Attitudes about our Food ...

When delicious inviting Food is on my Plate, I positively RELISH digging in and chowing down on it ... But ... If I inadvertantly spill some of that delicious inviting Food on my Necktie, the Tie has now become "dirty," contaminated ... Go Figure ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:36AM #44
mountain_man

Mar 11, 2012 -- 5:10AM, arielg wrote:

Don't let them discourage you, Solfeggio,....

Asinine personal attacks deleted.

We're only trying to discourage you from lying to us. Leave out the mythinformation, the hyperbole, and the personal attacks, and people might start to take you more seriously. Now you just come off as a holier than thou preacher.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:38AM #45
mountain_man

Mar 11, 2012 -- 5:31AM, arielg wrote:

Yours are interpretations of facts...

No, just the fact. The fact is that a healthy diet can contain meat.

There is no substitute for self observation.

Yes, there is; the facts. What you believe you observe is not always true.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:45AM #46
mountain_man

Mar 11, 2012 -- 9:34AM, PosingAsMe wrote:

I like a little meat in my diet, and I enjoy the occasional "meat indulgence," but I long ago gave up the not uncommon American practice of having a big slab of meat on my plate as a dinner staple.  I find that just a half pound of meat works splendidly to "spice" a blend of mostly veggies and rice and makes a quite tasty meal that lasts me for 4-5 dinners.

I had a small steak for dinner last night. I haven't had a slab of red meat like that in a meal for about 4 months. I try to stick with chicken and then not much of that. But, you're right, a huge chunk of meat at every meal is not a healthy diet.

Compare what we eat today with what they ate just a hundred years or so ago. The average working man would have meat and potatoes at breakfast, lunch and dinner. But then they worked it all off during the day. With the lifestyles we have today, we just cannot eat like that. More veggies and less meat is the way to go.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 4:28PM #47
arielg

I don't know any vegetarian who considers what they eat to be the right thing, but is trying to cut down their consumption of apples or grains and considers an achievement to eat less of them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 4:45PM #48
mountain_man

Mar 11, 2012 -- 4:28PM, arielg wrote:

I don't know any vegetarian who considers what they eat to be the right thing...

Then you ought to read the posts here by vegetarians; they continuously preach about them doing the right thing and believing themselves to be above all others. Their preaching gets in the way of their message.

....but is trying to cut down their consumption of apples or grains and considers an achievement to eat less of them.

That sentence fragment makes no sense. That's probably because you are misrepresenting what the non vegetarians here have said.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 10:46PM #49
rabello

Mar 11, 2012 -- 5:10AM, arielg wrote:

Mar 10, 2012 -- 10:23PM, solfeggio wrote:

arielg -

Thank you very much for your post.

Don't let them discourage you, Solfeggio, There are those who are too close to the fire and get burned.  Those who are too far away don't get any heat at all. Only those who are at the proper distance will get the warmth.

Too  close means those who  will accept indiscriminately. Too far away are those who cannot hear because they are  stuck in their own beliefs. Proper distance are those who will listen to the information and use it to do their own reasearch.

Every single person I've spoken to over the past couple of days are now saying they will not eat another burger (or any other food that is made with ground beef) unless the restaurant clearly indicates, to them, that the meat they serve does not have pink slime.  And, that they won't buy ground beef unless the store they shop at clearly indicates that they do not sell meat with green slime.

It is rather amusing to see another one of people's sacred cows pierced by knowledge, brought to us by the media reports of the things that activists find out for us!  McDonalds's wouldn't do that to us, would they?  sniff.sniff. As they say "Knowledge is Power!"  We'll see if the fast food places will actually suffer a decline in patronage...or will they lie about what they're selling now that (part of) the truth is out!!

Dr Dean Ornish is a physician, a researcher and a nutritionist and is a strong advocate of veganism and a no-fat diet lacking anything the comes from a being with a face or a mother.   Is he an hysteric professional.

And I do have to wonder what those who are lucky enough to have never had a "problem' due to elevated cholesterol, and never WILL have a problem due to elevated cholesterol have to say to those who do have such a problem, or to those who have lost family loved ones due to an early, sudden heart attack or stroke?

I know......American's favorite quip: "Sucks to be YOU"

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:25PM #50
teilhard

Is there a "Vegan" Equivalent Substance, i.e., "Green Slime" ... ??? "Pond Scum" ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 51  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 51 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook