Page 46 of 51  •  Prev 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 51 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 8:16PM #451
mountain_man

Mar 26, 2012 -- 7:46PM, christine3 wrote:

Well, you have it better than where I live.  I see ground sirloin, but ground chuck and ground round are gone.

As per USDA packaging requirements.

All the hamburger meat is called ground beef.

Same thing. The ground meat has not changed, just the labels.

Ground beef is the lowest quality beef with the lower form of animal fat put back in.

No, it's from the tougher parts that don't sell well as slices. It's sold by the percentage of fat. It doesn't matter where that fat came from as long as it is not nerve tissue.

I give it to my dogs but have to cook out the grease and it shrinks a lot.

Your dogs would do better with the meat uncooked.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 8:24PM #452
jane2

Mar 26, 2012 -- 8:04PM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 -- 6:23PM, jane2 wrote:

My market sells ground round, ground chuck and ground sirloin, with the % of fat labelled.

That's right. The names round, chuck, sirloin, were essentially meaningless. Any butcher could put any amount of fat in there and call it what they wanted. Those were in the olden days. Now they label it by the amount of fat. You actually know, and can make a choice, about the facts - not by some meaningless name.

I shop at Publix, a southern chain. They label with type of meat and % of fat.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 8:38PM #453
Fodaoson

in the U.S. beef fat may be added to hamburger, but not to ground beef if the meat is ground and packaged at a USDA-inspected plant. A maximum of 30% fat by weight is allowed in either hamburger or ground beef. Both hamburger and ground beef can have seasonings, but no water, phosphates, extenders, or binders added. Ground beef is often marketed in a range of different fat contents, to match the preferences of different customers.

Ground beef is usually subdivided based on the cut and fat percentage:[7]

• Chuck: 78-84% lean
  • Round: 85-89% lean
  • Sirloin: 90-95% lean
“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 8:39PM #454
mountain_man

Mar 26, 2012 -- 8:24PM, jane2 wrote:

I shop at Publix, a southern chain. They label with type of meat and % of fat.

That's the way most modern markets do it now.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 8:45PM #455
christine3

Mar 26, 2012 -- 8:16PM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 -- 7:46PM, christine3 wrote:

Well, you have it better than where I live.  I see ground sirloin, but ground chuck and ground round are gone.

As per USDA packaging requirements.

All the hamburger meat is called ground beef.

Same thing. The ground meat has not changed, just the labels.

Ground beef is the lowest quality beef with the lower form of animal fat put back in.

No, it's from the tougher parts that don't sell well as slices. It's sold by the percentage of fat. It doesn't matter where that fat came from as long as it is not nerve tissue.

I give it to my dogs but have to cook out the grease and it shrinks a lot.

Your dogs would do better with the meat uncooked.

I don't see the difference between lowest quality of beef (tougher). Just read that there was more tasty fat and not so tasty, a new one on me.

Let me be more thorough.  I feed my dogs chicken, dark pork and it is raw.  The hamburger is the least meat I feed them, although I do.  It is cooked it halfway to get rid of half the fat.  They get enough fat from the chicken and pork.  Sometimes they get liver.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 8:46PM #456
mountain_man

Here's what the USDA Labeling Policy Book 082 has to say:

GROUND BEEF:
May not contain added fat. Maximum total fat 30 percent. Cheek meat is permitted up to 25 percent and must be declared in the ingredients statement. For more than 25 percent, show as —Ground Beef and Cheek Meat,“ all the same size.
Beef of skeletal origin, or from the diaphragm or esophagus (weasand) may be used in the preparation of chopped beef, ground beef, or hamburger. Heart meat and tongue meat as organ meats are not acceptable ingredients in chopped beef, ground beef, or hamburger.
See: Policy Memo 027 dated June 15, 1981

So, it is wrong to claim fat is added and that finely textured beef trimmings are added to hamburger/ground beef.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 8:49PM #457
mountain_man

Mar 26, 2012 -- 8:45PM, christine3 wrote:

I don't see the difference between lowest quality of beef (tougher). Just read that there was more tasty fat and not so tasty, a new one on me.

You are confusing "quality" with wholesomeness or taste. Solve that confusion and you'll see where you went wrong.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 27, 2012 - 02:34AM

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 9:00PM #458
christine3

Mar 26, 2012 -- 8:09PM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 -- 7:31PM, christine3 wrote:

Is it the junk meat that you think is okay, or the Pink Slime, or both?

There is no "junk" in the meat.

Fat is added to ground beef for flavor, juiciness, up to 30%.  On top of that, if you add some textured gristle, cartilage etc. it brings the healthiness down more.  You should see the dog meat that is prepared and sold in big bags where I live.  I bought some once, never again.  It's half fat and other junk.  The less actual meat, the less healthy.  Why is that hard to understand?

Where I live "trimmings" means pure fat.  Maybe it's different in your state.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 27, 2012 - 02:42AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 10:21PM #459
mountain_man

Mar 26, 2012 -- 9:00PM, christine3 wrote:

Fat is added to ground beef for flavor, juiciness, up to 30%.  On top of that, if you add some textured gristle, cartilage etc. it brings the healthiness down more.

They cannot add that without it being on the label.

Mar 26, 2012 -- 9:00PM, christine3 wrote:

Where I live "trimmings" means pure fat.  Maybe it's different in your state.

"Trimmings" is not pure fat in any state.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 27, 2012 - 02:39AM

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 2:28PM #460
christine3

Christine said: Fat is added to ground beef for flavor, juiciness, up to 30%.  On top of that, if you add some textured gristle, cartilage etc. it brings the healthiness down more.

MM:  They cannot add that without it being on the label.

Christine:  Oh yes they can.  In the last days of my eating meat, there was heart in the ground beef; it has a distinctive flavor.  It was not on the label.

Christine:  Where I live "trimmings" means pure fat.  Maybe it's different in your state.

MM: "Trimmings" is not pure fat in any state.

Christine: Splitting hairs. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 46 of 51  •  Prev 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 51 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook