Page 4 of 51  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 51 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 11:14PM #31
mountain_man

Mar 10, 2012 -- 10:47PM, solfeggio wrote:

The vegetarian diet is healthiest for several reasons.

It is a healthy diet, not the healthiest. You can get all those good things you mentioned and have meat in your diet. Again, doctors and nutritionists, would disagree with you. Since they have more education than you do, I'll go along with them.

I have no desire to get nutrition information from someone that lies to me.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 11:15PM #32
mountain_man

Mar 10, 2012 -- 10:29PM, arielg wrote:

And yours is not?

No, I go with the facts, not opinions. Doctors and nutritionists go with the facts, not opinions, so I'll go with them.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 11:20PM #33
jane2

It is low in saturated fats and cholesterol.  And a vegan diet has no saturated fats at all.

Plants are higher in fibre than flesh.

Fruits and vegetables are a good source of phytochemicals.

The vegetarian diet is lower in calories.

The plant-based diet is healthier for the planet.

Vegetarians have a lower incidence of cancer than meat-eaters.  Many, many scientific studies document this.

Vegetarians have a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease than meat-eaters.  Again, this has been well-documented.

Vegetarians have lower LDL cholesterol levels.

A vegan diet contains all the nutrients required by any human being.

If you haven't convinced us by now, you never will. Do you do this in NZ, too???? Guess what I've never had a cholesteral problem. I'm 72 and eat a wide variety of foods, including red meat, poultry and seafood.

What on earth do you do for fun?? I like to dine out--take my children and granchildren, too.

You do go on and on.

I am curious about your constant crusading. So eat vegan. Bet I've had more fun in life than you have!!!! Bet you can't even shoot a good zinger at a party. I can have fun at the supermarket or at a gala................ My older daughter and I like to take our show on the road on shopping trips--we call them "field trips".

In my younger days I was proficient at the ladies lunch out. It's an art form but only at fine restaurants. Never, ever, be boring !!!

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 11:29PM #34
teilhard

IOW, please TRY to be MORE like Andrew Zimmern (he, of the "Bizarrre Foods" TV Show) ...

Eat some Foods you never even HEARD of ... (Although, unlike Andrew, I DON'T eat "Brains" and in Partial Observance of The Food Laws, I avoid eating "Blood" ...)

Mar 10, 2012 -- 11:20PM, jane2 wrote:

It is low in saturated fats and cholesterol.  And a vegan diet has no saturated fats at all.

Plants are higher in fibre than flesh.

Fruits and vegetables are a good source of phytochemicals.

The vegetarian diet is lower in calories.

The plant-based diet is healthier for the planet.

Vegetarians have a lower incidence of cancer than meat-eaters.  Many, many scientific studies document this.

Vegetarians have a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease than meat-eaters.  Again, this has been well-documented.

Vegetarians have lower LDL cholesterol levels.

A vegan diet contains all the nutrients required by any human being.

If you haven't convinced us by now, you never will. Do you do this in NZ, too???? Guess what I've never had a cholesteral problem. I'm 72 and eat a wide variety of foods, including red meat, poultry and seafood.

What on earth do you do for fun?? I like to dine out--take my children and granchildren, too.

You do go on and on.

I am curious about your constant crusading. So eat vegan. Bet I've had more fun in life than you have!!!! Bet you can't even shoot a good zinger at a party. I can have fun at the supermarket or at a gala................ My older daughter and I like to take our show on the road on shopping trips--we call them "field trips".

In my younger days I was proficient at the ladies lunch out. It's an art form but only at fine restaurants. Never, ever, be boring !!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 12:13AM #35
Roodog

Mar 9, 2012 -- 10:16PM, jane2 wrote:

Mar 9, 2012 -- 9:49PM, Roodog wrote:

Is that like Soylent Green?

Roo

You are baaaad......................

A sure source of Protein!Tongue Out 
Have a friend over for dinner.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 12:15AM #36
teilhard

I "grok" you ...

;-)

Mar 11, 2012 -- 12:13AM, Roodog wrote:

Roo

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 1:46AM #37
Roodog

Mar 11, 2012 -- 12:15AM, teilhard wrote:

I "grok" you ...

;-)

Mar 11, 2012 -- 12:13AM, Roodog wrote:

Roo

Grok?"

I've heard of "GOK" (God Only Knows)

Maybe GOK would be an appropriate description of Pink Slime.

I think it's a name for a Klingon delicacy.Tongue Out

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 5:10AM #38
arielg

Mar 10, 2012 -- 10:23PM, solfeggio wrote:

arielg -

Thank you very much for your post.

Don't let them discourage you, Solfeggio, There are those who are too close to the fire and get burned.  Those who are too far away don't get any heat at all. Only those who are at the proper distance will get the warmth.

Too  close means those who  will accept indiscriminately. Too far away are those who cannot hear because they are  stuck in their own beliefs. Proper distance are those who will listen to the information and use it to do their own reasearch.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 5:31AM #39
arielg

Mar 10, 2012 -- 11:15PM, mountain_man wrote:

And yours is not?

No, I go with the facts, not opinions. Doctors and nutritionists go with the facts, not opinions, so I'll go with them.

Yours are interpretations of facts, like every one else's. Doctors and nutritionists have all kinds of opinions. You choose to believe the ones who agree with your opinions. 

"Experts" are the ones who say  you need to drink 8 glasses of water a day, for instance. Whether  you are a  guy who sweats all day in the sun carrying weights or a  secretary who shuffles papers from one desk to another in an air conditioned room, you will drink 8 glasses of water a day, if you go by their "facts".  The same nonsense in all their recommendations.

There is no substitute for self observation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 8:58AM #40
teilhard

Yes ... Pay reasonable Attention to your Body and Soul ... It's not "Rocket Science" (excet in the Case of getting enough Co-Q-10) ...

Mar 11, 2012 -- 5:31AM, arielg wrote:

Mar 10, 2012 -- 11:15PM, mountain_man wrote:

And yours is not?

Yours are interpretations of facts, like every one else's. Doctors and nutritionists have all kinds of opinions. You choose to believe the ones who agree with your opinions. 

"Experts" are the ones who say  you need to drink 8 glasses of water a day, for instance. Whether  you are a  guy who sweats all day in the sun carrying weights or a  secretary who shuffles papers from one desk to another in an air conditioned room, you will drink 8 glasses of water a day, if you go by their "facts".  The same nonsense in all their recommendations.

There is no substitute for self observation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 51  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 51 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook