Page 1 of 51  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 51 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 2:37PM #1
solfeggio

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 2:41PM #2
teilhard

McDonald's performed a smart "Public Relations" Move ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 2:53PM #3
Stardove

Watching the video and reading article in OP makes me happy I don't eat meat! 

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 3:13PM #4
mountain_man

Mar 9, 2012 -- 2:37PM, solfeggio wrote:

What is pink slime?

A preservative that is the source of a lot of hysteria and mythinformation.

It's meat scraps that are treated with ammonia hydroxide to kill pathogens.

Then eat meat full of pathogens. Or you could just buy meat ground locally. You should get your terms straight too. "Pink slime" refers to the meat, not to the additive.

It was dropped by the food chains some time ago, but it is still used in institutional feeding programmes, including school meals.

It's been in use for decades and no one has died from it and probably has saved many lives.

Here's a quote from the FDA: Ammonia and the ammonium ion are integral components of normal metabolic processes and play an essential role in the physiology of man. Although there have been no significant feeding studies specifically designed to ascertain the safety threshold of ammonium compounds as food ingredients, numerous metabolic studies have been reported in the scientific literature. Extrapolation of these findings to the concentrations of ammonium compounds normally present in foods does not suggest that there would be untoward effects at such levels. In the light of the foregoing, the Select Committee concludes that: There is no evidence in the available information on ammonium bicarbonate, ammonium carbonate, ammonium chloride, ammonium hydroxide, mono and dibasic ammonium phosphate, and ammonium sulfate that demonstrates, or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect, a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in future.

Now, when you find a scientific study, not a hyperbolic news story, that shows otherwise, let me know.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 3:18PM #5
teilhard

IOW, the "Slime" Description is nothing more than a Term deliberately chosen to prejudice the Discussion ...

Mar 9, 2012 -- 3:13PM, mountain_man wrote:

What is pink slime?

Then eat meat full of pathogens. Or you could just buy meat ground locally. You should get your terms straight too. "Pink slime" refers to the meat, not to the additive.

It was dropped by the food chains some time ago, but it is still used in institutional feeding programmes, including school meals.

It's been in use for decades and no one has died from it and probably has saved many lives.

Here's a quote from the FDA: Ammonia and the ammonium ion are integral components of normal metabolic processes and play an essential role in the physiology of man. Although there have been no significant feeding studies specifically designed to ascertain the safety threshold of ammonium compounds as food ingredients, numerous metabolic studies have been reported in the scientific literature. Extrapolation of these findings to the concentrations of ammonium compounds normally present in foods does not suggest that there would be untoward effects at such levels. In the light of the foregoing, the Select Committee concludes that: There is no evidence in the available information on ammonium bicarbonate, ammonium carbonate, ammonium chloride, ammonium hydroxide, mono and dibasic ammonium phosphate, and ammonium sulfate that demonstrates, or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect, a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in future.

Now, when you find a scientific study, not a hyperbolic news story, that shows otherwise, let me know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 3:24PM #6
jane2

Mar 9, 2012 -- 3:18PM, teilhard wrote:

IOW, the "Slime" Description is nothing more than a Term deliberately chosen to prejudice the Discussion ...

What is pink slime?

Not an unusual ploy for Solf........................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 3:31PM #7
teilhard

However ... The "Pink Slime" Phrase was NOT invented by "Solf" ...

Mar 9, 2012 -- 3:24PM, jane2 wrote:

What is pink slime?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 3:49PM #8
jane2

Mar 9, 2012 -- 3:31PM, teilhard wrote:

However ... The "Pink Slime" Phrase was NOT invented by "Solf" ...

Mar 9, 2012 -- 3:24PM, jane2 wrote:

What is pink slime?

I read it on the news, too. Doesn't change what I think of its use here.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 4:04PM #9
Erey

If it were seriously dangerous I would be dead by now because I ate scads of school lunches in my day. 

Food when you think about it can be disgusting.  But somehow I still love it.  I have renewed my love of raw oysters recently to the horror of my family.  Can you believe nobody will even try one?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 5:12PM #10
teilhard

I don't eat Oysters even after they're COOKED ...

Mar 9, 2012 -- 4:04PM, Erey wrote:

If it were seriously dangerous I would be dead by now because I ate scads of school lunches in my day. 

Food when you think about it can be disgusting.  But somehow I still love it.  I have renewed my love of raw oysters recently to the horror of my family.  Can you believe nobody will even try one?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 51  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 51 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook