Post Reply
Page 2 of 51  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 51 Next
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 5:18PM #11
jane2
Posts: 14,288

Mar 9, 2012 -- 4:04PM, Erey wrote:


If it were seriously dangerous I would be dead by now because I ate scads of school lunches in my day. 



Food when you think about it can be disgusting.  But somehow I still love it.  I have renewed my love of raw oysters recently to the horror of my family.  Can you believe nobody will even try one?




Erey


My two daughters and I luv raw oysters.




 

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 5:34PM #12
Erey
Posts: 17,351

Mar 9, 2012 -- 5:18PM, jane2 wrote:


Mar 9, 2012 -- 4:04PM, Erey wrote:


If it were seriously dangerous I would be dead by now because I ate scads of school lunches in my day. 



Food when you think about it can be disgusting.  But somehow I still love it.  I have renewed my love of raw oysters recently to the horror of my family.  Can you believe nobody will even try one?




Erey


My two daughters and I luv raw oysters.




 




So briney and delicious

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 5:34PM #13
farragut
Posts: 3,910

Oh yes. Oysters, clams, and whatever raw fish that the Japanese put into sushi. Delicious.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 5:41PM #14
jane2
Posts: 14,288

Mar 9, 2012 -- 5:34PM, farragut wrote:


Oh yes. Oysters, clams, and whatever raw fish that the Japanese put into sushi. Delicious.




I have never tried sushi, for some unknown reason.


By the time I was 10, I was snarfing raw clams at local clambakes--right next to my dad.




 

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 6:24PM #15
teilhard
Posts: 48,277

"Mollusc Slime" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 8:30PM #16
TemplarS
Posts: 6,249

Again, it comes down to moderation.  There are a lot of things out there that are basically harmless in small amounts; and there is hardly anything that won't hurt you if consumed to excess.


I was reading recently about arsenic in rice.  This is naturally occurring arsenic, it's in the water, and apparently the rice plant has a tendency to concentrate it.   So, in some places (like Bangla Desh), if you eat a lot of rice you are going to get an unhealthy amount of arsenic.  Well, maybe over there they don't have a lot of choice in the matter. We do. So: moderation.


And, hey, I love oysters.  But a guy I work with had a really serious case of food poisoning a while ago, which he attributes to oysters; wound up in the hospital for a week, was really sick, claims he might have died.  Well, maybe. But I still eat them- on occasion.  Some things, if you enjoy them, you accept the risk.  But not every meal.


This is, of course, different from passing off this stuff as institutional food for budgetary reasons.  When I was in college there was this  old joke about the food in the dining hall.  Freshman year, you find a worm in your salad, you yell and scream and carry on.  Sophomore year, you pick the worm out of the salad and eat the salad.  Junior year, you eat the salad, worm and all.  And senior year, if you get a salad with no worm, you complain "where's my worm?"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 9:23PM #17
jane2
Posts: 14,288

Mar 9, 2012 -- 8:30PM, TemplarS wrote:


Again, it comes down to moderation.  There are a lot of things out there that are basically harmless in small amounts; and there is hardly anything that won't hurt you if consumed to excess.


I was reading recently about arsenic in rice.  This is naturally occurring arsenic, it's in the water, and apparently the rice plant has a tendency to concentrate it.   So, in some places (like Bangla Desh), if you eat a lot of rice you are going to get an unhealthy amount of arsenic.  Well, maybe over there they don't have a lot of choice in the matter. We do. So: moderation.


And, hey, I love oysters.  But a guy I work with had a really serious case of food poisoning a while ago, which he attributes to oysters; wound up in the hospital for a week, was really sick, claims he might have died.  Well, maybe. But I still eat them- on occasion.  Some things, if you enjoy them, you accept the risk.  But not every meal.


This is, of course, different from passing off this stuff as institutional food for budgetary reasons.  When I was in college there was this  old joke about the food in the dining hall.  Freshman year, you find a worm in your salad, you yell and scream and carry on.  Sophomore year, you pick the worm out of the salad and eat the salad.  Junior year, you eat the salad, worm and all.  And senior year, if you get a salad with no worm, you complain "where's my worm?"




Fuuuny college story : when my kids were at GT eating at the Varsity was a treat. We still love to go there on occasion. What'll ya have,what'll ya have ; definitely a Varsity Orange and onion rings. (I like the slaw dogs.)



 

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 9:49PM #18
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Is that like Soylent Green?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 10:16PM #19
jane2
Posts: 14,288

Mar 9, 2012 -- 9:49PM, Roodog wrote:


Is that like Soylent Green?




Roo


You are baaaad......................


 



 

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 10:35PM #20
farragut
Posts: 3,910

I've had a hot dog at the Varsity. Quite tasty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 51  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 51 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook