Page 51 of 51  •  Prev 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 11:59PM #501
arielg
Mar 29, 2012 -- 11:46PM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:50PM, arielg wrote:

I don't have to back up anything.

If you make a claim, you provide the evidence to back it up with.

What I say  is not supposed to be "believed". If you can relate to it, if you "get it", it is enough. I am not trying to convince you of anything.    

What is my evidence? My own experience. It is all the evidence I need. It may not be enough for you, because you want to rely on some authority in order to believe or reject. You want to be convinced and nobody is going to do that, unless  they say something you already know.

The problem is that you reduce everything to a confrontation that needs to be won.

Moderated by Merope on Mar 30, 2012 - 02:49PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 10:07AM #502
Esdraelon

MountainMan, you are basically correct, but so are those who argue against the premise. The 'finely textured meat trimmings' are edible, and it's unlikely to be detrimental to ones health. Point is they used to be only dog food. We still have Spam, potted meat, and the like, just a mush of cheapest ground-up leftovers.

It's curious that you argue for your particular sex education based upon the premise that the parents are ignorant about matters they engage in themselves, and thus cannot 'adequately' teach their children matters regarding sexuality, yet on the flip side, you turn around and say ‘Let the people decide’ on labels which sometimes are impossible for the average person to read unless they have a degree in chemistry.

MSG: Textured protein
Autolyzed yeast
Yeast extract
Yeast food
Glutamate
Glutamic Acid
Autolyzed plant protein
Sodium caseinate
Calcium caseinate
Hydrolyzed protein
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein(HVP)
Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP)
Soy protein extract
Natural flavors

MSG is a poison and that is a fact. So is aspartame, but like cigarettes no one has yet proved the correlation of aspartame and the diseases proported to be caused by it. It does create a craving for carbohydrates which will lead to weight gain. One is likely better off using refined sugar than this crapola which the FDA says is fine. Just remember that the FDA went along with the cigarette companies until.......

On the other hand, I use honey or agave nectar as a sweetener, however, the problem, as usual is the processing:

www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-sho...

The gist of the issue is that as long as consumers buy by sight, the food companies will provide nice looking products that appeal to the eye.

Moderated by Merope on Mar 30, 2012 - 02:51PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 10:23AM #503
christine3

Mar 30, 2012 -- 10:07AM, Esdraelon wrote:

‘Let the people decide’ on labels which sometimes are impossible for the average person to read unless they have a degree in chemistry.

Very true.  And you are talking about the canned meats or dried.  But the ground meat with pink slime in it at grocery stores has nothing on the label, at least not on the label in the store I shop from.  The people have a right to know what is in the meat they are eating.

Another point.  If people who eat meat can only afford the cheapest meats, and they think they are getting their protein from that meat (if it happens to be hamburger), they are not getting what they think they bought.  I could make a small argument that there is not the quality of protein in the P S meat because it is textured sinew and gristle with flavor enhancer to make it taste like meat.  Somebody else said that nowadays artificial flavor can be made to taste like anything organic, and meat is no exception. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 10:25AM #504
mountain_man

Mar 30, 2012 -- 10:23AM, christine3 wrote:

Very true.  And you are talking about the canned meats or dried.  But the ground meat with pink slime in it at grocery stores has nothing on the label, at least not on the label in the store I shop from.

Then finely textured beef trimmings are not in there.

The people have a right to know what is in the meat they are eating.

They have the right to be told the truth.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 11:10AM #505
christine3

There was a painter named Smokey who was very interested in making a penny where he could, so he often thinned down his paint to make it go a wee bit further. As it happened, he got away with this for some time, but eventually the local church decided to do a big restoration job on the outside of one of their biggest buildings. Smokey put in a bid, and, because his price was so low, he got the job. So he set about erecting the scaffolding and setting up the planks, and buying the paint and, yes, I am sorry to say, thinning it down with turpentine......... Well, Smokey was up on the scaffolding, painting away, the job nearly completed, when suddenly there was a horrendous clap of thunder, the sky opened, and the rain poured down washing the thinned paint from all over the church and knocking Smokey clear off the scaffold to land on the lawn among the gravestones, surrounded by telltale puddles of the thinned and useless paint. Smokey was no fool. He knew this was a judgment from the Almighty, so he got down on his knees and cried: "Oh, God, Oh God, forgive me; what should I do?" And from the thunder, a mighty voice spoke.. "Repaint! Repaint! And thin no more!"

Moderated by Merope on Mar 30, 2012 - 02:57PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 11:34AM #506
Esdraelon

Mar 30, 2012 -- 11:10AM, christine3 wrote:

There was a painter named Smokey who was very interested in making a penny where he could, so he often thinned down his paint to make it go a wee bit further. As it happened, he got away with this for some time, but eventually the local church decided to do a big restoration job on the outside of one of their biggest buildings. Smokey put in a bid, and, because his price was so low, he got the job. So he set about erecting the scaffolding and setting up the planks, and buying the paint and, yes, I am sorry to say, thinning it down with turpentine......... Well, Smokey was up on the scaffolding, painting away, the job nearly completed, when suddenly there was a horrendous clap of thunder, the sky opened, and the rain poured down washing the thinned paint from all over the church and knocking Smokey clear off the scaffold to land on the lawn among the gravestones, surrounded by telltale puddles of the thinned and useless paint. Smokey was no fool. He knew this was a judgment from the Almighty, so he got down on his knees and cried: "Oh, God, Oh God, forgive me; what should I do?" And from the thunder, a mighty voice spoke.. "Repaint! Repaint! And thin no more!"

LOLLLLLLLLLL........:-)

However, the paint bought at the store is already thinned according to the product quality level. Some covers better than other. The cheaper is generally thinner and not the best buy for new never painted drywall, sic, even with a primer.

Paint that will be sprayed, for the most part, has to be thinned and strained.

As a General Contractor, I have to watch for this, but my guys have generally been with me a long time.

Moderated by Merope on Mar 30, 2012 - 02:58PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 11:44AM #507
christine3

Mar 30, 2012 -- 11:34AM, Esdraelon wrote:

However, the paint bought at the store is already thinned according to the product quality level. Some covers better than other. The cheaper is generally thinner and not the best buy for new never painted drywall, sic, even with a primer.

As a General Contractor, I have to watch for this, but my guys have generally been with me a long time.

My dad was a general contractor.  In those days he was called a carpenter.  He was self taught and built all the houses we lived in.  Like some nomadic Indian tribes, he'd build a house and we'd move into it.  He'd build another house, sell the former, and we'd move. We moved all the way up a costal hill that way and got a good view overlooking the Pacific Ocean!  He only worked by himself.  I got to pick up plug nickles for him and scrap wood into the fire; that was my job.  Those were the "plugs" on the electrical outlets.  I don't know if they are like that anymore.  Those were the good old days for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 11:55AM #508
Esdraelon

Mar 30, 2012 -- 11:44AM, christine3 wrote:

Mar 30, 2012 -- 11:34AM, Esdraelon wrote:

My dad was a general contractor.  In those days he was called a carpenter.  He was self taught and built all the houses we lived in.  Like some nomadic Indian tribes, he'd build a house and we'd move into it.  He'd build another house, sell the former, and we'd move. We moved all the way up a costal hill that way and got a good view overlooking the Pacific Ocean!  He only worked by himself.  I got to pick up plug nickles for him and scrap wood into the fire; that was my job.  Those were the "plugs" on the electrical outlets.  I don't know if they are like that anymore.  Those were the good old days for me.

That's the good old days, my dad was a carpenter.

Yeah, those plugs are still in the boxes, we call 'em 'knockouts'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 12:22AM #509
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 51 of 51  •  Prev 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement