Page 14 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View ADHD Overdiagnosed in Younger Kids
3 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2012 - 12:35PM #131
StephenK.Adams

Mar 24, 2012 -- 9:55AM, REteach wrote:

Yes. And the most common cause of pediatric overdose deaths is maternal prenatal vitamins and if aspirin was released today, it would be prescription only and have a black box warning. 

We are creatures of trial and error and it is right to question everything in an attempt to move closer and closer to the truth.

We have nothing to fear except our lack of understanding of fear itself.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2012 - 2:16PM #132
teilhard

Yup ... So, in general ... BEST to avoid ALL Meds as much as possible ...

Yes. And the most common cause of pediatric overdose deaths is maternal prenatal vitamins and if aspirin was released today, it would be prescription only and have a black box warning. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 12:27AM #133
Erey

Mar 24, 2012 -- 2:16PM, teilhard wrote:

Yup ... So, in general ... BEST to avoid ALL Meds as much as possible ...

I think so, that is how I view medication.  I think for alot of people thier ADD child might be so unhappy and frustrated with the condition that they are willing to consider medicine.  I know other ADD kids that seem to deal with it OK and seem happy and sucessfull without medication. 

I think most of us are happy to consider medication if it seems important to the well being of our child.  Some ADD kids are pretty frustrated and have a hard time getting along even with a teacher making lots of accomidations.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 5:16PM #134
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 2:29PM #135
farragut

As I feared. It turns out that the pediatrician that prescribed drugs for the six-year old did no tests at all. Just took the word of the teacher. Well-intentioned, I'm sure, but very suspect. And we find a 12-month wait for an appropriate several-thousand- dollar evaluation.   Am not happy.

After a good night's sleep, the child slept until noon today. Just as if she were drugged.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 5:25PM #136
farragut

And now, since the pediatrician has already prescribed his damned Ritalin, he will not refer the child for evaluation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 8:43AM #137
jesusfreakgal

I definitely have HDHD. I was first diagnosed in grade 1, then rediagnosed as an adult about 2 years ago. If a doctor knows that a child does NOT have ADD or ADHD, they should make it very clear to the parent(s) that they don't, and that they (the doctor) will NOT diagnose a child with something they do not have. The only problem here is that the parent(s) might attempt to find a doctor who will. But this could (maybe) harm the child for the rest of their life, especially if they are put on medication they do not need.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 10:32AM #138
farragut

"But this could (maybe) harm the child for the rest of their life, especially if they are put on medication they do not need"

Which is why we have ceased the bloody medication.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 7:51PM #139
REteach

Farragut, get him him for a neuropsych exam.  An educational consultant can help too.  I have also gotten Speech evals on some kids.  

And, although response to meds is not a diagnosis, is he suddenly superb?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 10:15PM #140
farragut

We are now working with a service that appears to be knowledgeable and responsible. She will have an evaluation session with a psychologist next week. I am not sure that it will be as thorough as I would like to see, but we shall see what happens.

My own useless opinion is that she needs behavioral therapy.  Her first two years were rather rough, and I suspect that there is embedded anxiety that she knows nothing about, but which still colors her reaction to the world around her.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 14 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook