3 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2012 - 12:32PM #1
jesusfreakgal
I recently read an article about schools in Chicago where they give students demerit points based on various things (such as taking back to ones teacher, untucked shirts, talking in class, and untied shoe laces). Once the students receive 4 demerit points (in 2 weeks) they have to pay a $5 fine. Let me point out that these students, as far as I gathered from the article, are on the relatively poor side for the most part. My problem here is partly the fining for getting detension, but also some of the things they receive demerit points for. Take the untied shoe lace for example. If I am sitting in class and paying attention to the teacher and doign what I am supposed to be doing, and somehow my shoe lace gets untied and I do not notice (because I am doing the right thing by being quiet and listening to the teacher), and the teacher notices, I technically am in trouble for not having my shoe tied and get a demerit point. I think that is going to far. Also, what if these students received the 4 demerit points (and the $5 fine) and the parents cannot afford to pay it? $5 may seem small to most of us, but to some it is not. Thought/ comments? Here is a link to the article: news.yahoo.com/chicago-school-draws-scru...

JFG
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 7:30AM #2
jesusfreakgal

The problem I have with this idea is that it seems that the school is going a little overboard. I am not talking about  the $5 fine, but rather what constitutes something worthy of receiving a demerit or 2 (or 3 or 4). My concern is that students are receiving demerits for things that are EXTREMELY minor, and that they may not even notice, and not because they don't care or pay attention, but because they can't pay attention to those things constantly (I mean the students are in school, and do have to pay attention to class and the teacher). Sometimes students do things not because they are being rude, but because the teacher is not paying attention to them. If a teacher is busy teaching a lesson and not looking at the class, and a student has to go to the bathroom REALLY badly (to the point of being close to peeing/ pooping ones pants to a degree), then simply sitting in ones desk quietly with ones hand up might not to themselves any good. But if they inturrupted their teacher, they would get whatever demerits ones gets for inturrupting the the teacher. Which wouldn't be fair.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2012 - 8:17AM #3
lulu2

Self Respect begins with the "little" things..respect for a schools policy wheter you personally agree with it or not..is adhereing to a law, even a very simple one. Apparently you were unaware that loose shoestrings are a style...as are the underwear showing wear your pants below your hips.... reflects a style. That style began in prisions..It can help kids get there much faster, if thats what they choose to set themselves apart...There is a passage in Proverbs:The character of a even a child..can be known by how he acts.

In this case it shows how these kids doesnt want to follow what is a code of the school. Real Freedom of expression comes once you have learned to live by the rules, once you pay your own way..once you have paid your dues..Otherwise all this is, is a child thinking he deserves what he wants more than learning to respect others..the fine is merely a symbol to bring home, the schools message. 

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2012 - 10:22AM #4
jesusfreakgal

No I actually knew that. But to be honest I never thought of that. But the article did not mention how then meant the untied shoe lace. If they knew the student had their shoes tied but probably didn't notice that it had come untied, would they still receive the demerit? If so, that is not right. For anything that students did 'wrong' that were not intensional (even far from it) and to still receive the demerit points attached to it, that (for the most part) IMO, is wrong (more then just unfair). But you are right. If the students are having untied shoe laces and pants warn improperlly (way to low, to the point of showing underwear) on purpose/ as fashion, then I get the point of the demerits for those things.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook