Page 1 of 31  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pure White and Deadly
3 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2012 - 6:19PM #1
solfeggio

A team of researchers at the University of California-San Francisco are recommending that sugar, like alcohol and tobacco, should be a controlled product. 

www.vancouversun.com/health/Sugar+should...

The researchers say that sugar consumption is responsible for the global obesity pandemic, and it contributes to 35 million deaths worldwide annually from non-communicable diseases and major killers such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.   

Sugar, the researchers argue, is not just empty calories, but is a substance that changes a person's metabolism, raises blood pressure, and causes damage to the liver.  It's basically a toxic substance.

The researchers recommend finding ways to make sugar consumption less convenient, and giving people more food choices that are not so heavily laden with sugar.  

Their report will be published in the February 2 issue of Nature.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2012 - 9:13PM #2
Mlyons619

Really?

Oh pul-LEAZE!

Getting rather tired of the food nazis...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2012 - 11:23PM #3
solfeggio

Food Nazis, huh?  So, you figure everybody should just keep right on stuffing their already fat faces with as many empty calories as they can? 

If everybody ends up at 28 stone or over 300 lbs with diabetes and heart trouble, at least they had a five-minute taste sensation gobbling down the soda and chips and sausages, right?  And that's all that's important.

And the people who are doing the research to try to find ways to stop all this gluttony are just a bunch of spoil-sports trying to ruin everybody's fun.

Well, news flash: A lot of what we eat is just plain crap.  And just because we've always eaten some stupid food item does not mean that it is sacrosanct. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2012 - 11:36PM #4
Mlyons619

Yes, FOOD NAZIS.

If they have their way, we'll all be eating hay...

ANYTHING'S poison if you eat too much of it -- including H2O.

We gonna start putting a warning label of water bottles too?

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 2:45AM #5
Father_Oblivion

Here in the US, we enjoy certain rights. The limits of these rights extend all the way to the point where they enfringe on the rights of others. One of these rights is the right to make our own choices for how we live our lives, even if these choices are (to the outside observer) stupid choices. One of those choices might be to consume so much sugar that you piss HFCS, and although I am dead set against HFCS and insist that the information regarding its dangerous properties be made widely available, I would never support a control of it, and would oppose a ban. Why? Because we have the right to be stupid, whether the nanny state likes it or not.

The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 5:33AM #6
Mlyons619

Nobody gets out of life alive.  Nobody
  -- Unknown

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 9:29AM #7
Ironhold

Feb 1, 2012 -- 11:23PM, solfeggio wrote:

Food Nazis, huh?  So, you figure everybody should just keep right on stuffing their already fat faces with as many empty calories as they can? 

If everybody ends up at 28 stone or over 300 lbs with diabetes and heart trouble, at least they had a five-minute taste sensation gobbling down the soda and chips and sausages, right?  And that's all that's important.

And the people who are doing the research to try to find ways to stop all this gluttony are just a bunch of spoil-sports trying to ruin everybody's fun.

Well, news flash: A lot of what we eat is just plain crap.  And just because we've always eaten some stupid food item does not mean that it is sacrosanct. 

Last semester I did a report on the whole "Super-Size Me" fiasco for one of my marketing classes.

PM me an address I can use and I'll send it to you.

My basic conclusion?

Misplaced blame.

Not only were several holes poked in the premise of the movie itself (the big one being that the guy kept no record of what he ate, which is a major scientific no-no), I found a few people who actually claimed to have lost weight while eating fast food due to their being smart about what they ate (such as going for side salads instead of fries).

In fact, McDonald's has actually, on the whole, come out ahead on the most recent efforts to make them the scapegoat; they've even figured out a way to work San Francisco's toy ban to their advantage.

The only "losers" in the matter are Subway (which got raked over the coals for some jerkishness on the part of Subway Germany) and a couple of the leading anti-McDonald's pundits (the SF councilman who pushed for the ban? SFISD lunches are worse than Happy Meals, yet when he was with the school system he never once pushed for improved standards).

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 10:23AM #8
Erey

There is so much conflicting health data out there I would hope that just because some scientists on the pay-roll of the University of San Francisco claim that sugar is the cause of all evil in the world we don't over react.  Scientists increasingly like news casters feel compelled to make the most attention grabbing and outrageous statements.  I guess we are so media focused that a scientist feels they must somehow keep their name in the media. 

I think most people would do well to reduce their sugar, maybe even have little sugar fasts where the go without for a few days. 

Still, I am pretty sure that sugar, the refined, white, uber-processed stuff is better for you than the artificial sweetners. 

I have a good friend that has not had any processed sugar for 19 months.  I was with her at her last birthday where she did not participate in having one of the delicious gormet cupcakes that her sister bought to celebrate.  She is still pretty heavy, not unhealthy but she is probably 40-50 pounds over weight.  I don't think giving up sugar has helped her weight any.    She also tends to eat vegetarian, never drinks alchohol and eschews breads whenever possible. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 11:01AM #9
TPaine

"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental or spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest."-- John Stuart Mill: On Liberty, 1859

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 11:53AM #10
mytmouse57

I can see Snickers bars and Pepsi becoming contraband... LOL.

Organized crime gangs having wars over who controls the black market on Twinkies and ice cream.

But seriously, it's a no-brainer. Don't over-indulge.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 31  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook