Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Eating fried foods is not so bad after all
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 4:41PM #1
solfeggio
Fried foods are not necessarily bad for your heart - as long as you use the right sort of of oil for the frying.  A new study of more than 40,000 adults at the University of Madrid has shown that the type of fat you use in the frying is what makes the difference.

www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/Preventi...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16691754

As a dietician at the British Heart Foundation said:

'We currently recommend swapping saturated fats like butter, lard, or palm oil for unsaturated fats.'  And these would be canola, sunflower, and olive oil, as used in what is known as the Mediterranean Diet.

An earlier study showed that the Mediterranean diet can actually help people live longer:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4423271.stm

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 4:45PM #2
jane2

Jan 25, 2012 -- 4:41PM, solfeggio wrote:

Fried foods are not necessarily bad for your heart - as long as you use the right sort of of oil for the frying.  A new study of more than 40,000 adults at the University of Madrid has shown that the type of fat you use in the frying is what makes the difference.

'We currently recommend swapping saturated fats like butter, lard, or palm oil for unsaturated fats.'  And these would be canola, sunflower, and olive oil, as used in what is known as the Mediterranean Diet.

An earlier study showed that the Mediterranean diet can actually help people live longer:

No news here, dudette..............

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 4:45PM #3
mountain_man

Good. I planned on frying two nice pork chops in olive oil tonight.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 4:54PM #4
jane2

Jan 25, 2012 -- 4:45PM, mountain_man wrote:

Good. I planned on frying two nice pork chops in olive oil tonight.

I plan to fry one in olive oil, but I will put a pat of butter in my pasta side dish.

I must be pretty abstemious because  at  72 I've never had a cholesterol problem; or maybe it is good genes.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 5:47PM #5
rabello

This is important news for those with familial hypercholesterolemia, or a family history of coronary artery disease or those who have already had a heart attack, although it is still probably better to bake or stew foods that could be fried.   It obviously doesn't apply to fried foods at fast food joints even if they claim to deep fry in unsaturated fat.   Those who don't have medical issues are free to pooh-pooh other people's health concerns and worries.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 6:12PM #6
jane2

Jan 25, 2012 -- 5:47PM, rabello wrote:

This is important news for those with familial hypercholesterolemia, or a family history of coronary artery disease or those who have already had a heart attack, although it is still probably better to bake or stew foods that could be fried.   It obviously doesn't apply to fried foods at fast food joints even if they claim to deep fry in unsaturated fat.   Those who don't have medical issues are free to pooh-pooh other people's health concerns and worries.

What brings joy to you?? What do you do for sheer fun?

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 7:55PM #7
solfeggio

Well, ya know, Jane, I guess that looking out for our health doesn't impress you as 'fun' for some reason, but some of us do try to be responsible adults and eat right.

In any case, your question to Rabello (and in another thread to me) about joy did make me think.  

Outside of family, of course, there are many sources of joy for me.

Watching our cats' various activities is, of course, a great pleasure.

And I get a lot of pleasure meeting with my friends at our local Community Centre and planning our day's activities.  Feeding the mallad duck pair that comes up our driveway every morning gives me a lot of joy. Watching the Tuis singing in the Pohutukawa tree is lovely, as is throwing bread scraps to the thrushes and sparrows that live in the old plum tree outside the garage.

Watching and listening to the Berlin Philharmonic play Beethoven's 7th Symphony is a transcendent experience: pure joy.  And anything by Brahms lifts me to heights of happiness.

Going to a library book sale and finding cheap treasures is a source of great pleasure, as is stopping at the local Salvation Army shop and looking for bargains.

Sitting down in the afternoon to watch 'Antiques Roadshow' with my husband is great fun.

Just looking at the purple petunias, pink carnations, and yellow marigolds that I have growing in pots in the kitchen window brings joy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 8:34PM #8
jane2

Solf

Not all wish to join your crusades. We are still responsible citizens of this world. Most of us know what oils to use in cooking. Many of us eat little fried food or "fast" food. Life styles of posters vary as do our pleasures. I enjoy dogs more than cats. I'm not a goody-two-shoes but I do believe I am my brother's keeper. When possible I support animal welfare. I also have joy and real fun in my life. I can have a roaring good time at the market or buzzing with my neighbors. I like a little zest !! I suspect we are all born with certain personalities--I'm an optimist and more than a tad zany.

My favorite composer is Mozart--but he is quite spiritual; the Alleluia in his Coronationn Mass is a transport. I love big band music--we danced to it when I was young, and Sinatra, the Kingston Trio and LUV Simon and Garfunkle--heard them in concert. My younger daughter wrote her American Lit paper on the lyrics and poetry of Paul Simon as a junior in high school--aced it. After she was married she and her husband and her dad and I also heard just Paul Simon in concert here. She and I love the ballet--she studied ballet for some years. When she was home two years ago at Xmas she treated us to center front tickets to the local production of the Ballanchine NUTCRACKER : after Act One it snowed on stage and on the front audience.

I read much political science--national and international--because it determines much. I cut my teeth on such politics at home where dinner conversation was always the order of the day. Right now I'm re-reading Madeline Albright's THE MIGHTY AND THE ALMIGHTY. Hilary Clinton as Secretary of State is huge in my book. She and Vice-President Biden have done truly fine diplomacy with little fanfare. From what I've read--and it is only hints--VP Biden clued the Chinese in on how the cows eat the cabbage............

So it goes with an ole lady in the Atlanta burbs in Georgia, USA.

I wish you well.....................

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 6:55PM #9
Lonesentinel

*grin*  good to see you comin around!  I'll pay for your basket of Fried Chicken (cage-free, of course!) or Fried Shrimp - your choice - if I ever have a chance to meet you in person! 8p

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2012 - 2:01AM #10
Yavanna

Does cholesterol have something to do with heart disease... ?

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next