Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Bacon and cancer: A link?
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 2:46AM #11
CharikIeia

Jan 15, 2012 -- 10:39PM, solfeggio wrote:

Aristotle expanded on that theory by saying that, for example, courage is the middle ground between cowardice and recklessness.  ... Aristotle believed that the Golden Mean applied only to virtues, and not vices.

I don't understand the argument here.

Do you mean to say that cowardice and recklessness are virtues?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 3:50PM #12
solfeggio

The way I understand it, courage, for example, as defined by Aristotle, is a virtue, and therefore the Golden Mean between recklessness and cowardice.  It's intermediate between two extremes.  And it's a virtue because it is the most beneficial of the three.

But, you cannot talk about that which is virtuous without mentioning that which is not.

Now, if we come right down to it, the consumption of known carcinogens like nitrite additives to processed meat cannot possibly be defined as the Golden Mean.  This is simply because if you define virtue as beneficial, then how can a substance that puts you at risk for a deadly disease ever be defined as beneficial?

Consuming any sort of processed meat in any quantity must then be considered to be reckless.

A beneficial food is that which can help you live a healthier life, which might be good for cancer or heart disease prevention, and that is at the same time delicious and nourishing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 4:05PM #13
Yavanna

Jan 15, 2012 -- 12:01PM, vra wrote:

Bacon is bad for you?  Aha, we told you so!

Shalom   ;)

I don't know what you're talking about. I love turkey bacon. ;)

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 4:12PM #14
TemplarS

Jan 16, 2012 -- 3:50PM, solfeggio wrote:

Consuming any sort of processed meat in any quantity must then be considered to be reckless.

This is plainly nonsense, as I have pointed out.   Is accepting any level of risk at all reckless? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 4:15PM #15
Yavanna

Jan 16, 2012 -- 4:12PM, TemplarS wrote:

This is plainly nonsense, as I have pointed out.   Is accepting any level of risk at all reckless? 

Perhaps we should point out that eating fruits in any quantity is also reckless.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 4:35PM #16
TemplarS

Jan 16, 2012 -- 4:15PM, Yavanna wrote:

Perhaps we should point out that eating fruits in any quantity is also reckless.

Well...

Everything you do in life has risk.  Some risks are negligible and are not worth thinking about, and accepting them is hardly reckless. 

Avoiding significant risks, OTOH, is prudent.  Eating bacon every day of your life might bear thinking about.  So, obviously,  would smoking.   So would living in a major seismic risk area.  Some people choose to do these things. Up to them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 4:40PM #17
Yavanna

Jan 16, 2012 -- 4:35PM, TemplarS wrote:

Jan 16, 2012 -- 4:15PM, Yavanna wrote:

Well...

Everything you do in life has risk.  Some risks are negligible and are not worth thinking about, and accepting them is hardly reckless. 

Avoiding significant risks, OTOH, is prudent.  Eating bacon every day of your life might bear thinking about.  So, obviously,  would smoking.   So would living in a major seismic risk area.  Some people choose to do these things. Up to them.

Processed bacon, no doubt. However, a diet of organic animal is perfect in terms of evolution. We have only been agricultural for a blip of our species evolutionary development. We still haven't caught up. The diet high in grains and artificial grain "oils" is having a devastating effect with the diabetes and heart disease epidemcis. We create energy naturally from fat and as long as chemicals aren't being added, animal fat is still the healthiest form of energy we can get.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 5:31PM #18
Erey

Yvanna makes the point that you seem to be refering to processed bacon.  My bacon is not processed, it is flesh out of a certain part of the pig.  Turkey bacon is highly processed, soy bacon also.  Regular bacon, not processed. 

Those who are paid to give advice about food and nutrition are saying that it is better just to eat the pork bacon vs. the turkey bacon because there is so much salt and chemicals in the turkey bacon. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2012 - 7:52PM #19
jane2

Jan 16, 2012 -- 5:31PM, Erey wrote:

Yvanna makes the point that you seem to be refering to processed bacon.  My bacon is not processed, it is flesh out of a certain part of the pig.  Turkey bacon is highly processed, soy bacon also.  Regular bacon, not processed. 

Those who are paid to give advice about food and nutrition are saying that it is better just to eat the pork bacon vs. the turkey bacon because there is so much salt and chemicals in the turkey bacon. 

Why don't we just make decisions we think are wise? Best bacon I've ever eaten was Irish bacon in Ireland. Irish breakfast is to "die for". I doubt Irish bacon is processed.

I don't eat bacon very often in the US. Many of us don't.

This thread is a tad bogus because the info provided in the OP is old news.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2012 - 2:35AM #20
CharikIeia

The way I understand it, courage, for example, as defined by Aristotle, is a virtue, and therefore the Golden Mean between recklessness and cowardice.  It's intermediate between two extremes.  And it's a virtue because it is the most beneficial of the three.

Okay, I think I get the point...

... the consumption of known carcinogens like nitrite additives ...

Nitrite occurs naturally in the human organism. NO is a mediator of intra- and intercellular processes. Why do you think it is a carcinogen?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook