Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Bacon and cancer: A link?
3 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2012 - 10:30PM #1
solfeggio

A recent study out of Sweden published in the British Journal of Cancer has shown a link between consumption of processed meats like bacon and sausages, containing sodium and nitrate preservatives, with an elevated risk of pancreatic cancer. 

Eating just two slices of bacon or one sausage a day can increase a person's risk of developing pancreatic cancer by 19%.

www.nature.com/bjc/journal/vaop/ncurrent...

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jan/13/b...

An earlier study saw a link between a high intake of processed meats and colon cancer:
www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/jun/15/p...

www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10....

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18444144

But wait, there's more.  Consumption of processed meats raises the risk of having a heart attack or developing diabetes:

www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases...

www.boston.com/news/health/blog/2010/05/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2012 - 11:48PM #2
jane2

Jan 14, 2012 -- 10:30PM, solfeggio wrote:

A recent study out of Sweden published in the British Journal of Cancer has shown a link between consumption of processed meats like bacon and sausages, containing sodium and nitrate preservatives, with an elevated risk of pancreatic cancer. 

Eating just two slices of bacon or one sausage a day can increase a person's risk of developing pancreatic cancer by 19%.

www.nature.com/bjc/journal/vaop/ncurrent...

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jan/13/b...

An earlier study saw a link between a high intake of processed meats and colon cancer:
www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/jun/15/p...

www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10....

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18444144

But wait, there's more.  Consumption of processed meats raises the risk of having a heart attack or developing diabetes:

www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases...

www.boston.com/news/health/blog/2010/05/...

Many of us rarely eat processed meat. There are so many other choices. My market sells sausage made in store without the chemicals. Occasionally I put a bit of their Italian turkey sausage in a pasta dish.

On the other hand, just living and breathing can cause cancer. A good immune system helps.

I do believe in the golden mean.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 1:31AM #3
rabello

The link between cancer and bacon, particularly well-done, or overcooked bacon, and also sausages has been known for more than 20 years.  I learned about it in grad school.  There is also a link between increased cancer incidence and barbequed meat, and also red meat that is cooked to the well done stage. Partly because of carcinogens that are produced through the "burning" process and partly because of the amount of fat in bacon and the amount of fat used in the making of sausage.   Also, of course, the red meat contact, which is why the food industry is pushing turkey sausage and turkey bacon and turkey burgers these days.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 7:56AM #4
costrel

Jan 14, 2012 -- 10:30PM, solfeggio wrote:

I eat bacon about twice a year, when I'm on vacation and I splurge by eating breakfast at a restaurant. I don't cook bacon at home, and about the only time I have sausage is when I have a few pieces on a pizza. (I do, though, sometimes eat sausage and hot dogs when I have a hankering for saurkraut, which is not very often.) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 11:50AM #5
TemplarS

Jan 14, 2012 -- 11:48PM, jane2 wrote:

I do believe in the golden mean.

Makes a lot of sense. I have bacon maybe once every couple of months. Processed meats like salami, never.  But I do like a charbroiled steak.

Nobody lives risk-free lives.  Taking a few risks for things you enjoy is part of life, whether it is foods you like or sky-diving.   Here is one table of comparative risks (bacon is not on the list, but charbroiled steak is- as is, believe it or not, peanut butter):

muller.lbl.gov/teaching/Physics10/old%20...

Eating 100 char-broiled steaks has the same risk of death as travelling 10 miles by bicycle- or smoking 1.4 cigarettes (not per day- just 1.4 cigarettes!).

So I don't worry too much about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 12:01PM #6
vra

Bacon is bad for you?  Aha, we told you so!

Shalom   ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 12:13PM #7
IreneAdler

So be sure to down that glass of orange juice that is usually served with such a breakfast. 

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 10:39PM #8
solfeggio

The Golden Mean -

As taught by Socrates, the Golden Mean is a philosophy that means we should try to avoid the extremes on either side, which would be excess and deficiency, as much as possible.

Aristotle expanded on that theory by saying that, for example, courage is the middle ground between cowardice and recklessness.  Of course, the middle depends upon the situation.  Aristotle believed that the Golden Mean applied only to virtues, and not vices.

What has all of this to do with bacon or sausage?  Well, it probably goes back to the old debate: Should we eat to live, or live to eat?

And, if we live to eat, then stuffing our faces with all our favourite foods as often as possible would mean we were erring on the side of excess.

On the other hand, merely eating to live would be eating a favourite food, such as bacon or sausage, judiciously. 

And this would apply to all foods.  In other words, the key is moderation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 11:27PM #9
Erey

I know that my parents and their parents grew up with alot of bacon. Most days started with a bit of bacon for breakfast.  Most lunches and Dinners were beans seasoned with bacon and cornbread. 

So I tend to think if there is a cancer link it is more in the preparation of the meat vs. the meat itself like what Rabello was saying about cooking until  well done.  Because those that came before me ate tons of bacon.  Chicken was maybe once a week and beef was a luxury. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2012 - 11:49PM #10
jane2

Jan 15, 2012 -- 10:39PM, solfeggio wrote:

The Golden Mean -

As taught by Socrates, the Golden Mean is a philosophy that means we should try to avoid the extremes on either side, which would be excess and deficiency, as much as possible.

Aristotle expanded on that theory by saying that, for example, courage is the middle ground between cowardice and recklessness.  Of course, the middle depends upon the situation.  Aristotle believed that the Golden Mean applied only to virtues, and not vices.

What has all of this to do with bacon or sausage?  Well, it probably goes back to the old debate: Should we eat to live, or live to eat?

And, if we live to eat, then stuffing our faces with all our favourite foods as often as possible would mean we were erring on the side of excess.

On the other hand, merely eating to live would be eating a favourite food, such as bacon or sausage, judiciously. 

And this would apply to all foods.  In other words, the key is moderation.

Much of the philosophy I studied was Aristolean, including logic.

Moderation for me is the golden mean. Philosophy formed much of my thinking, expanded by the arts to a great degree.

All learning need not be totally esoteric.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook