Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hot Topic? Petition Asking Sesame Street to Teach Kids about Breastfeeding
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 7:17PM #51
jane2

Jan 12, 2012 -- 6:55PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Jan 11, 2012 -- 11:23PM, Erey wrote:

Jan 11, 2012 -- 7:03PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Jan 11, 2012 -- 5:41PM, Erey wrote:

I believe that a respectfull person is aware that any exposed breast is going to suck all of the attention out of the room. 

Right. But that's because our society fetishizes breasts. If it didn't, then exposing breasts wouldn't be an issure.

If we de-fetishized breasts -- such as by letting women expose them in a tasteful manner -- then the fetish would lose its power. That's the point.

Occasional flashes happen. 

Yeah, and that's what the fetishists are hoping for. We must cut them off at the pass by deflating their fetish.

Yeah we all know you would really like that wouldn't you?!  Just put boobs everywhere and then...... Men will be bored by them?   I don't think so.

I do think so. It's what would happen.

Anyway, the fact that breasts are considered sexy is not a terrible thing.  I think it would be a bit disapointing if men lost all excitement for breasts. 

Maybe. But then we're back to square one, trying to figure out when it's okay to breastfeed.

Ah, but we must be ever so serious even about what matters little to so many of us.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 8:00PM #52
REteach

Maybe. But then we're back to square one, trying to figure out when it's okay to breastfeed.

When the baby is hungry. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 8:24PM #53
jane2

Jan 12, 2012 -- 8:00PM, REteach wrote:

When the baby is hungry. 

Good reply but we must also consider those around us. Mores and sensibilities do matter.

I don't see this in totally for and agin terms. There is more to it. Essentially I tend to agree with Erey.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 8:36PM #54
REteach

I used a blanket or some such, but letting a baby suffer or sitting in a public restroom because of cultural squeamishness does not seem like the better option to me.  It seems to me that the better option is decreasing the squeamishness.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 9:02PM #55
mountain_man

Jan 12, 2012 -- 8:24PM, jane2 wrote:

Good reply but we must also consider those around us. Mores and sensibilities do matter.

Those that are insulted or upset over a woman breast feeding a baby in public do not need to be considered. They, however, do need to be educated and shown how their revulsion is way out of line.

I don't see this in totally for and agin terms. There is more to it. Essentially I tend to agree with Erey.

Breastfeeding is natural, a wonderful bonding experience for a mother an child. There is absolutely nothing about it that should be hidden.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 9:05PM #56
mountain_man

Jan 12, 2012 -- 8:36PM, REteach wrote:

I used a blanket or some such, but letting a baby suffer or sitting in a public restroom because of cultural squeamishness does not seem like the better option to me.  It seems to me that the better option is decreasing the squeamishness.

A public restroom is no place to feed a baby. Women breastfeeding in public don't just plop out a boob and start feeding. They are covered up completely and there's nothing to be seen. The "cultural squeamishness" is left in only a few that need to be prudish as a way to control others.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 9:21PM #57
jane2

Jan 12, 2012 -- 9:02PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jan 12, 2012 -- 8:24PM, jane2 wrote:

Those that are insulted or upset over a woman breast feeding a baby in public do not need to be considered. They, however, do need to be educated and shown how their revulsion is way out of line.

Breastfeeding is natural, a wonderful bonding experience for a mother an child. There is absolutely nothing about it that should be hidden.

I think it is highly over-rated. The son I nursed has more allergies than his two sisters that I bottle-fed.

I've never been a part of the "mother-earth" syndrome. I was a superb teacher to my children and they flourished as I did under my mentor father. Teach children, talk with them, spend time with them, take them places, expose them to travel.

When my oldest grandson was in his two's he used to conduct "safaries" in his bedroom using his superb toy animals. Told my d-i-l in jest that he had been to Fernbank here one too many times !! Now he is on scholarship at MIT and tutors there as well as conducting an AP course in physics as a sophomore. He was nursed but that didn't give him the edge.

I don't give a flip who nurses or doesn't.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 9:25PM #58
farragut

"Breastfeeding is natural, a wonderful bonding experience for a mother an child. There is absolutely nothing about it that should be hidden. "

I agree, Dave, and I further propose that fornication is a natural and wonderful bonding experience between lovers, potential mother and father. One of its most delightful manifestations is cunnilingus. There is absolutely nothing about it that should be hidden.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 9:28PM #59
Erey

Jan 12, 2012 -- 9:05PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jan 12, 2012 -- 8:36PM, REteach wrote:

A public restroom is no place to feed a baby. Women breastfeeding in public don't just plop out a boob and start feeding. They are covered up completely and there's nothing to be seen. The "cultural squeamishness" is left in only a few that need to be prudish as a way to control others.

Ur not a woman.  Nice, large public restrooms with sofas and armchairs are lovely places to nurse a baby.  Really comfortable and really quiet.  I realize you don't venture into too many women's restrooms so you might not be aware of this. 

You are right, typically women breastfeeding in public are covered.  this is how most women want to nurse.  If a flash happens it is accidental and nobody makes a huge deal.

I had a couple of accidental flashes in my day.  People usually pretend not to notice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 9:36PM #60
Erey

Jan 12, 2012 -- 9:02PM, mountain_man wrote:

[

What alot of people don't realize, especially men is that it is not always a wonderful experience for mother and child.  For many, many, many women it is a painful, agonizing, frustrating, weeping experience.  Occasionaly newborns die because they are not getting enough food (rare but it has happened). 

It was very, very hard for me with my first child, but I was determined and I was able to get through that very difficult patch and it did become a wonderful experience.  During the hard times I was so frustrated and in so much pain that I burst into tears, in front of strangers, which made me feel even worse, I felt mortified and I cried even more.  I am not and never have been a weeping woman but I lost control there. 

In short, I would never ever judge a woman poorly for choosing not to nurse.  I have many friends that tried very hard to nurse and were never able to get it established and so they gave up. 

In my oppinon and I think we all agree, a happy, less stressed mother is better for any baby than breast milk. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook