Post Reply
Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hot Topic? Petition Asking Sesame Street to Teach Kids about Breastfeeding
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 6:48PM #41
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:41PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:37PM, Ken wrote:

I'm Dr. Kenny. I know everything. Victorian ladies continued to go out until the last month of pregnancy. They continued to receive visitors until their water broke.




I disagree Dr. Ken at least for the ladies of that time.


Shirley



Queen Victoria didn't hide when she was pregnant. She had state duties to perform. Are you saying that Queen Victoria wasn't a lady?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 6:54PM #42
Erey
Posts: 19,423

Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:48PM, Ken wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:41PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:37PM, Ken wrote:

I'm Dr. Kenny. I know everything. Victorian ladies continued to go out until the last month of pregnancy. They continued to receive visitors until their water broke.




I disagree Dr. Ken at least for the ladies of that time.


Shirley



Queen Victoria didn't hide when she was pregnant. She had state duties to perform. Are you saying that Queen Victoria wasn't a lady?




Queen Victoria, while pregnant herself invited and hosted Lady Charlotte at a ball while Lady Charlotte was 6 months pregnant.    I think some of the higher crust of ladies might hide while pregnant in some places.  Most women had too much running around or work to do and could not afford to go into hiding.  Clearly the women of the british court were not so squeamish. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 6:58PM #43
Erey
Posts: 19,423

Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:37PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:35PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:30PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:19PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:00PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 5:41PM, Erey wrote:


 You can have that attitude that don't look at what you don't want to see but I believe polite people see it as a two way street.  I give breast feeding women a bit of space (unless they are actuall friends of mine and are comfortable with me).  The ones with the breasts do their best to be discrete.  Occasional flashes happen. 




Polite society is not always correct. At one time polite society believed woman should hide when they were expecting a child. Do you think that was correct?


Shirley




 I don't like your question.




Of course you don't. Because it tells you that your debate point is not logical. Polite society is not always correct that is why we no longer have slaves.


Shirley




So now you are equating standard modesty, something the vast majority of women are most comfortable with as slavery????  Whatever I need to go.


I could see if what women really wanted to do was to let it all hang out but apparently women don't.  So I don't see the issue. 




We are talking about polite society. I say it is not the moral standard and you say it is.


Shirley




Nobody is discussing morals.  Are the women girlchristian mentioned who live in the Amazon being immoral by never covering?  Nobody has suggested that.


Don't abuse the words to manipulate the conversation.  We are however talking about RESPECT and being polite.


POLITE does not equal slavery.  Especialy when you are able to 1. feed your baby in public and 2. do it in a manner that makes everyone comfortable, including the nursing mother. 


I don't know what you are getting at but it is clear you are not a mother

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 7:03PM #44
MMarcoe
Posts: 17,608

Jan 11, 2012 -- 5:41PM, Erey wrote:



I believe that a respectfull person is aware that any exposed breast is going to suck all of the attention out of the room. 


Right. But that's because our society fetishizes breasts. If it didn't, then exposing breasts wouldn't be an issure.


If we de-fetishized breasts -- such as by letting women expose them in a tasteful manner -- then the fetish would lose its power. That's the point.


Occasional flashes happen. 


Yeah, and that's what the fetishists are hoping for. We must cut them off at the pass by deflating their fetish.





1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 7:22PM #45
REteach
Posts: 15,158

God gave women breasts to feed babies.  The fact that men find them exciting is irrelevant.  They need to just get over it--and indeed they do in countries that understand the reason for them. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 7:33PM #46
shirleyj227
Posts: 10,991

Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:48PM, Ken wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:41PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:37PM, Ken wrote:

I'm Dr. Kenny. I know everything. Victorian ladies continued to go out until the last month of pregnancy. They continued to receive visitors until their water broke.




I disagree Dr. Ken at least for the ladies of that time.


Shirley



Are you saying that Queen Victoria wasn't a lady?




It would not bother me to say that. Surprised


Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 7:38PM #47
shirleyj227
Posts: 10,991

Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:58PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:37PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:35PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:30PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:19PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:00PM, shirleyj227 wrote:






We are talking about polite society. I say it is not the moral standard and you say it is.


Shirley




  We are however talking about RESPECT and being polite.


... do it in a manner that makes everyone comfortable, including the nursing mother. 





What about that is not polite society?


Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 7:54PM #48
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Jan 11, 2012 -- 7:33PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 6:48PM, Ken wrote:

Are you saying that Queen Victoria wasn't a lady?




It would not bother me to say that.

Shirley



Then you shall never be received at court.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 11:23PM #49
Erey
Posts: 19,423

Jan 11, 2012 -- 7:03PM, MMarcoe wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 5:41PM, Erey wrote:



I believe that a respectfull person is aware that any exposed breast is going to suck all of the attention out of the room. 


Right. But that's because our society fetishizes breasts. If it didn't, then exposing breasts wouldn't be an issure.


If we de-fetishized breasts -- such as by letting women expose them in a tasteful manner -- then the fetish would lose its power. That's the point.


Occasional flashes happen. 


Yeah, and that's what the fetishists are hoping for. We must cut them off at the pass by deflating their fetish.








Yeah we all know you would really like that wouldn't you?!  Just put boobs everywhere and then...... Men will be bored by them?   I don't think so.



Anyway, the fact that breasts are considered sexy is not a terrible thing.  I think it would be a bit disapointing if men lost all excitement for breasts. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 6:55PM #50
MMarcoe
Posts: 17,608

Jan 11, 2012 -- 11:23PM, Erey wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 7:03PM, MMarcoe wrote:


Jan 11, 2012 -- 5:41PM, Erey wrote:



I believe that a respectfull person is aware that any exposed breast is going to suck all of the attention out of the room. 


Right. But that's because our society fetishizes breasts. If it didn't, then exposing breasts wouldn't be an issure.


If we de-fetishized breasts -- such as by letting women expose them in a tasteful manner -- then the fetish would lose its power. That's the point.


Occasional flashes happen. 


Yeah, and that's what the fetishists are hoping for. We must cut them off at the pass by deflating their fetish.








Yeah we all know you would really like that wouldn't you?!  Just put boobs everywhere and then...... Men will be bored by them?   I don't think so.


I do think so. It's what would happen.



Anyway, the fact that breasts are considered sexy is not a terrible thing.  I think it would be a bit disapointing if men lost all excitement for breasts. 


Maybe. But then we're back to square one, trying to figure out when it's okay to breastfeed.





1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook