Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hot Topic? Petition Asking Sesame Street to Teach Kids about Breastfeeding
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 4:04PM #1
Girlchristian
shine.yahoo.com/parenting/sesame-street-...

Breastfeeding still causes controversy. In 2011 alone, a judge ruled that a woman couldn't do it in "his court" and under "his law," and Facebook deleted thousands of photos of mothers with babies at their breasts. Stores have thrown women out for discreetly nursing their infants, angry moms protested at places like Target, and any magazine that shows a nursing mother on their cover still sparks outrage, even if the woman is showing less of her breast than a bikini-clad model on the front of a typical fitness magazine.

Now, some parents are pushing to bring breastfeeding back to public television. Specifically, on "Sesame Street." Now, some parents are asking the show to promote breastfeeding again. As of January 10, more than 2,600 people had signed a petition asking the public television program to do so. But others are offended that the long-running children's show -- which routinely features story lines on potty training, younger siblings, and meal times -- would consider showing a baby being fed from a breast instead of a bottle.

As a woman that is having a child in just a few months and will be breastfeeding, I find this a little silly. Why anyone considers breastfeeding to be 'gross' as the man in the article states is beyond me. I don't necessarily see that Sesame Street has to teach about breastfeeding, but it wouldn't bother me either if they brought back clips showing women breastfeeding (although as the article points out, kids never actually saw the woman's breast).

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 4:22PM #2
Erey

I think it is OK to show in a classy way a mother nursing her baby on Sesame Street.  No boobs hanging out but one of those nursing blankets with a baby underneath it.

Not alot of comment would be necessary from Sesame Street just a normal scene with a baby nursing. This is the kind of thing I can get behind. 

I nursed both my children and it was very hard won, it took alot of determination on my part.  I still would not think of breast feeding a baby in a court of law or even think of bringing a baby to a court. Babies and court are not compatable in my mind. 

I have noticed that there is a subset of women that make a huge deal out of nursing, want to do it everywhere and are just rather obsessed with it.  I can understand this because nursing can be very difficult, painful and frustrating and when you finally get it under control you want everyone to know sort of thing.   My point is some women can be a bit goofy about this.  Blame it on the hormones.  SEveral years ago there was a Orangatang at the zoo who had just given birth and was not really bonding with the baby, there were some issues.  A breast feeding organization organized this project where for a couple of weeks there was always a few nursing mothers situated in front of the Orangatang enclosure breast feeding their infants.  they wanted to model breast feeding for the new Orangatang mother.  That is pretty silly and IMO so is going nuts on Facebook with all your nursing pics. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 4:32PM #3
mountain_man

Jan 10, 2012 -- 4:04PM, Girlchristian wrote:

...As a woman that is having a child in just a few months and will be breastfeeding, I find this a little silly. Why anyone considers breastfeeding to be 'gross' as the man in the article states is beyond me. I don't necessarily see that Sesame Street has to teach about breastfeeding, but it wouldn't bother me either if they brought back clips showing women breastfeeding (although as the article points out, kids never actually saw the woman's breast).

I believe the "grossness" of breast feeding goes back hundreds of years. It reminds some people that we are animals, mammals, that produce milk to feed their young. It's going to take a long time for part of humanity to get past that.

Breast feeding is what those things are for! It's the best thing a mother can do for her child. Guys can play with them later.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 4:39PM #4
hopebringer

interesting topic and one that shows how imature Americans can be ; and even hypocritical.   Not sure about Sesame Street ,  but people do need to be educated ; so how about billboards and buses .   Women are at least half the population , so why don't our issues get decided by us .  Our voice is as valid and should be heard.  

Challenge is a dragon with a gift in its mouth. Tame the dragon and the gift is yours. ~ Noela Evans
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 5:29PM #5
jane2

Oh, good grief..........................I don't care either way

What I do care about is better pre-school academic preparation for young children.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 5:33PM #6
Erey

I think tastefull images here there and everywhere of babies being nursed is a good way to build up public tolerance and comfort from what used to be hidden.  Sesame Street is a good a place as any.  Again with everything mamory being covered.  That should not be offensive if it is worked into the plot of the skit.

The real question is should the muppets themselves be seen as breast feeding.  Should Miss Piggy be shown breast feeding Kermits child or tadpole?  kidding

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 5:35PM #7
TPaine

Here is some information about breastfeeding laws. § 647 of the Treasury And General Government Appropriations Act, 2000 states

<> Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a woman may breastfeed her child at any location in a Federal building or on Federal property, if the woman and her child are otherwise authorized to be present at the location. Link 1

Forty-five states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands have laws that specifically allow women to breastfeed in any public or private location. (Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.)

Twenty-eight states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands exempt breastfeeding from public indecency laws. (Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.)

Twenty-four states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico have laws related to breastfeeding in the workplace. (Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.)

Twelve states and Puerto Rico exempt breastfeeding mothers from jury duty. (California, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia.)

Five states and Puerto Rico have implemented or encouraged the development of a breastfeeding awareness education campaign. (California, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri and Vermont.) Link 2

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 7:24PM #8
shirleyj227

For a country to see a woman feeding her child as a sexual act is totally screwed up. It is the top stupid thing about Americans.

Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 10:17PM #9
jane2

Jan 10, 2012 -- 7:24PM, shirleyj227 wrote:

For a country to see a woman feeding her child as a sexual act is totally screwed up. It is the top stupid thing about Americans.

Shirley

Many Americans are not stupid, Shirley. Mores may need modification but this is not high on my list.

We are not sending our brilliant young to universities abroad for the most part, but other nations send their brilliant young to study here, especially in the sciences and engineering.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 10:59PM #10
MMarcoe

Jan 10, 2012 -- 7:24PM, shirleyj227 wrote:

Shirley

This is why women need to let them hang out everywhere, every time, and in every situation. The more they do it, the less we'll associate those boobies with sex. And that'll be good for us.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook