Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Alcohol: A tonic and a poison
3 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2012 - 7:26PM #1
solfeggio
According to a paper published by the Harvard School of Public Health, alcohol is both a tonic and a poison:
www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/wha...

Its consumption can be very beneficial for us.  For example, new studies have shown that drinking about eight oz of red wine each night could lower the risk of a woman developing breast cancer:
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/12...

www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-h...

But, on the other hand, women have long been warned that consuming even moderate amounts of alcohol increased their risk of developing breast cancer:
articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/01/health/...

Still, though, other studies have shown that consuming red wine can help reduce the risk of heart disease:
today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21478144/ns/today...

The bottom line, as stated in the Harvard report, is that we have to balance the relative risks and benefits of alcohol consumption.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2012 - 8:42PM #2
farragut

Indeed, red wine is good, better perhaps than vitamins. But it is the daily infusion of whiskey that is the greatest preservative of humanity. Pour another.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2012 - 9:04PM #3
mountain_man

Jan 7, 2012 -- 8:42PM, farragut wrote:

Indeed, red wine is good, better perhaps than vitamins. But it is the daily infusion of whiskey that is the greatest preservative of humanity. Pour another.

Whiskey is nice, if it's some of the good stuff, but I've taken a liking to Absinthe, and it's an herbal tonic. I think I'll go pour one now.Cool

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2012 - 9:12PM #4
jane2

Jan 7, 2012 -- 9:04PM, mountain_man wrote:

Whiskey is nice, if it's some of the good stuff, but I've taken a liking to Absinthe, and it's an herbal tonic. I think I'll go pour one now.Cool

Read somewhere that FDR put a bit of absinthe in his martinis.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2012 - 9:48PM #5
TemplarS

The French and Italians drink wine to complement good food.

The Scots, on the other hand, invented whisky because the food there is so bad...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2012 - 10:36PM #6
mountain_man

Jan 7, 2012 -- 9:12PM, jane2 wrote:

Read somewhere that FDR put a bit of absinthe in his martinis.

Interesting since absinthe has been illegal in the USA from 1912 to 1970. I guess that made it all that much sweeter.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2012 - 11:09PM #7
solfeggio

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.  (Ogden Nash)

And then there's Dorothy Parker:

I wish I could drink like a lady

I can take one or two at the most

Three and I'm under the table

Four and I'm under the host

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2012 - 8:51AM #8
teilhard

Most Medications have some unwanted side Effects ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2012 - 12:15PM #9
REteach

Aspirin would not be OTC if marketed today for the first time. The most common cause of pediatric overdose death is maternal prenatal vitamins. Dihydrogen oxide is critical for life but can death if inhaled or overdosed.  

Dose can be everything. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2012 - 8:34PM #10
Erey

I love a glass of red, but I have trouble sometimes stopping at just one!

beer too is supposed to have different but beneficial properties. 

I am thinking it was not that long ago that people thought beer was beneficial for children.  I had a boss about 20 years older than me whose parents thought she was on the puny side so they gave her a glass of beer everyday  when she was very young.  Today that would be child abuse no doubt.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook