Switch to Forum Live View How to SAFELY deep fry a turkey.
|4 years ago :: Nov 14, 2011 - 6:05PM #1|
1. Buy a turkey.
2. Brine it. See thread on brining a turkey.
3. Take the brined and dry turkey and place it in the cooking pot. Fill the pot with your choice of oil, peanut is best but expensive. I use vegetable oil. Remove turkey and set aside. Leave the oil in the pot. DO NOT REMOVE THE OIL FROM THE TURKEY.
4. Heat the oil to 350 degrees, no higher.
5. TURN THE FLAME OFF! Only fools with burned down homes skip this step.
6. Slowly lower the turkey into the oil.
7. Turn the flam back on.
8. Cook for 3 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes.
9. TURN THE FLAME OFF. Only fools with burned down homes skip this step.
10. Let rest at least 10 minutes before carving.
Use common sense. You are working with an open flame, a propane flame can get up to 2000 degrees, and an oil that ignites at 400 degrees.
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.
"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
― Robert G. Ingersoll,