Switch to Forum Live View How to SAFELY deep fry a turkey.
|6 years ago :: Nov 14, 2011 - 6:05PM #1|
1. Buy a turkey.
2. Brine it. See thread on brining a turkey.
3. Take the brined and dry turkey and place it in the cooking pot. Fill the pot with your choice of oil, peanut is best but expensive. I use vegetable oil. Remove turkey and set aside. Leave the oil in the pot. DO NOT REMOVE THE OIL FROM THE TURKEY.
4. Heat the oil to 350 degrees, no higher.
5. TURN THE FLAME OFF! Only fools with burned down homes skip this step.
6. Slowly lower the turkey into the oil.
7. Turn the flam back on.
8. Cook for 3 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes.
9. TURN THE FLAME OFF. Only fools with burned down homes skip this step.
10. Let rest at least 10 minutes before carving.
Use common sense. You are working with an open flame, a propane flame can get up to 2000 degrees, and an oil that ignites at 400 degrees.
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. Isaac Asimov