Switch to Forum Live View The Belt: Acceptable Child Punishment or Abuse?
2 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2011 - 5:11PM #1
jesusfreakgal
I definitely believe it is abuse. Yesterday I was watching Anderson Cooper’s new show. During a few of the commercial breaks there was a preview for a new episode of the show (either today or Monday I believe). The previews were something to do with methods of punishment mothers/ parents use on their children. One of the previews showing the mothers saying that they use belts on their children for punishment. At one point, Anderson Cooper basically said ‘what makes using a belt on Children ok, but not on adults?’ It’s not. IMO that is abuse plain and simple. Parents who use the belt could be careful to not inflict too much pain or lasting marks on their children. The trouble is, even if parents do this, they could get to the point where they are using the belt on their children as punishment when they are significantly upset and frusterated and such with their children. The less calm, cool and collected the parent is when using this (and even spanking) form of punishment, the more likely, IMO, the situation could turn ugly and very abusive. One of these mothers was shown in one of the reviews saying this punishment method works for her. I believe that the most likely reason it works is fear. Most likely, IMO, the child is afraid of having the belt used on them again and/ or has become afraid of their parent(s), NOT learned that what they did was unacceptable.
JFG
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2011 - 7:24PM #2
REteach

Abuse.

Legally abuse if you leave a mark lasting longer than 24 hours.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2011 - 11:11PM #3
jesusfreakgal

If you can watch that episode of Anderson cooper, you'll find it VERY interesting. I never got to see all of it.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2011 - 1:06AM #4
Mlyons619

Yet for THOUSANDS of years, mankind has lived to the maxim, "Spare the rod and spoil the child."

Does that mean our parents, grandparents and the whole line of our ancestors were all child abusers?

I don't think so...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2011 - 11:10AM #5
jesusfreakgal

No, but I feel like things are different, at least to a degree today. If parents use the belt or spanking as a last resort, that is when I believe it can more likely turn abusive, as they are more likely to be upset and overly frusterated that their child is not behaving properly.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2011 - 11:24PM #6
Bob_the_Lunatic

This type of thinking is from when children were property-not people.

I was frequently beaten with a belt as a child-and my father had poor aim...  

All it taught me was not to trust him and not to like him-course I had other reasons as well, perhaps there's a correlation between bad parenting and abuse as the solution to problems.

My children are well behaved-I treat them like people.  They listen to me, and more important they trust me.  Fear is only necessary as a tool if love is missing.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook