Switch to Forum Live View Children and beauty pagents
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2011 - 8:03PM #1
jesusfreakgal
What do you think of children doing beauty pagents? After watching Anderson Cooper today, my main concert regarding the issue of children and beauty pagents is when children express they no longer want to participate in beauty pagents and the response (in one way or another) is basically that they are not listened to a lot of the time. One of the guests on the show, a teen (I believe) said they when she expressed that she no longer wished to be in pagents, her mom basically said that when she wins a certain (of the bigger) pagents, that she could quit (meaning, it would seem, that if she didn't win, she couldn't quit). That is very wrong IMO. Thoughts?
JFG
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2011 - 10:27PM #2
Mlyons619

Wtching that reality show about lil girls and beauty pageants gives me the cold willies.  It isn't child abuse but it comes damned close...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2011 - 6:46AM #3
jesusfreakgal

Yes it can. I think that when children are too young, beauty pagents can be innapropriate (because of the outfits the child is made to wear), and/ or can briing out the worst in the child, IMO (the kid having constant melt downs/ temper tantrums). When the child is older, if they don't want to do the pagents, if it is something they do not enjoy, I feel that they may not do as well (not necessarly on purpose).

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2011 - 2:09PM #4
Bob_the_Lunatic

Personally, I allow my daughters choices in whatever they do, this also includes the choice to do nothing.  Recently I approached my daughter about doing her first sport.  I explained what soccer was like and what basketball was like and let her choose.  She chose soccer and loves it.  Likewise, due to her birthday being on the cusp of the cutoff, I also allowed her to make the decision to go to kindergarden or 1st grade.  While she was tempted by the larger amount of toys in the former, she ultimately chose the latter.  I simply explained the pros and cons of each situation and in the end was proud of her decision.

She was in a pageant once and liked it a lot.  She's won many awards for many things, but I always step back and just let her go.  If she wanted to quit something, I'd allow it.  Parents who push their children to do what they, not the child/ren wishes to do are selfish and in danger of losing the child's true self development.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 7:15AM #5
jesusfreakgal

Bob_the_lunati,

That is good about what you did with your daughter. But some of the kids in pagents are as young as 2 or 3, an age where they can't really make any decision as to participation or not. Also, in regards to children with extreme pagent parent(s). How does having such a parent(s) effect how they experience pagent losses? Can it cause them to have negative self esteem, or self worth? Can they end up with negative self worth or whatever (the belief that they truly are ugly or stupid or both)?

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook