Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Who Should Be Allowed To Adopt?
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 7:09PM #51
Erey

I agree Jane, The Catholic Charities branch near me does good work.

The branch near me states that you can adopt if you are single or married but if married you need to have been married a minimum of two years.  Which is not unreasonable because a single person can be stable in their singlehood but a married person should show stability in the marriage to bring children into it.  Catholic Charities has facilitated adoptions to gay couples in the not distant past. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 7:32PM #52
jane2

Oct 11, 2011 -- 7:09PM, Erey wrote:

I agree Jane, The Catholic Charities branch near me does good work.

The branch near me states that you can adopt if you are single or married but if married you need to have been married a minimum of two years.  Which is not unreasonable because a single person can be stable in their singlehood but a married person should show stability in the marriage to bring children into it.  Catholic Charities has facilitated adoptions to gay couples in the not distant past. 

Erey

We are on the same page here.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 9:13PM #53
REteach

Oct 11, 2011 -- 5:50PM, Lonesentinel wrote:

It is sorta like this in my view - if you are a poor homeless man and someone gives you a warm coat in the dead of winter, you do not throw away the coat because it has a cigar burn on the collar.

That is the problem--they are keeping kids from gay families because they are gay.  I know of at least 3 gay families in town that have adopted the multihandicapped kids that nobody else wants. The RCC would keep them from that stability for religious reasons that have no basis in reality.

Have you ever read the catechism of the RCC?

The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

I love the way they violate their own teaching in the same paragraph. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 10:37PM #54
Erey

From what I read in the past Catholic Charities facilitated the adoption of 13 children to gay parents out of something like 750 adoptions over that time period which lasted many years.. 

So they have done them.

I do believe children that need families should be adopted out to gay couples.  I know many children adopted by gay couples. 

However the point was made and I think the point is a good one that we are seeing CAtholic Charities damned and maligned here for what was very common place wisdom like 20 years ago - nothing contriversial about it. 

Do I think Catholic Charities should get with the program on this?  yes I do.  However people like organizations I don't dismiss out of hand - throw the baby out with the bathwater is a good phrase.

I don't damn or disrespect some of the people I know (tend to be older) who are uncomfortable with full gay integration into society.  I accept them for who they are and I just know that their ideas and understanding of the world is being pushed out by newer ideas and understanding on the whole homosexual issue.  In the meantime I can live and let live. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 11:09PM #55
jane2

Oct 11, 2011 -- 9:13PM, REteach wrote:

It is sorta like this in my view - if you are a poor homeless man and someone gives you a warm coat in the dead of winter, you do not throw away the coat because it has a cigar burn on the collar.

That is the problem--they are keeping kids from gay families because they are gay.  I know of at least 3 gay families in town that have adopted the multihandicapped kids that nobody else wants. The RCC would keep them from that stability for religious reasons that have no basis in reality.

The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

The current catechism of the RCC is based on Pope John Paul II's biases.The current pope, Benedict XVI, promoted those biases.

Catholic Charities, however, is under the direction and rules of the current RCC bishops, many of whom have bought into the biases. They have little to no discretion now. Rome is ruling with an iron fist. Sometimes we must look at what is, not what we might prefer.

Many of us who were baptized Catholic do not support the current system, run by rigid central Europeans. I don't. And I don't give them my $$$. I find other ways to support those in need. I also support the separation of church and state always.

Cardinal Joseph Bernardin of Chicago died. He was the last of a more humane breed. Cardinal George is a horse of a much different hue. I wouldn't give him houseroom or even a cup of tea.

Maybe we need a new group to pick on, probably one that has done less good than Catholic Charities.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2011 - 12:29AM #56
Wanderingal

Oct 11, 2011 -- 5:09PM, Lonesentinel wrote:

Oct 11, 2011 -- 2:24PM, Wanderingal wrote:

"What a bunch of crap."

I agree that the Catholic Charities' refusal to help ALL children who need adoptive/foster homes is completely immoral ""crap."

I agree that the call to 'lynch mob' a religeous charity that performs what not even the state government of Illinois is willing to do simply because someone's morals differ from what the charity are willing to work with - by their moral conviction (unfounded or not) - is completely immoral crap.

"Lynch mob"?
Try "Truth."

I was raised as a Catjolic and I know exactly what is going on it their pointy little heads at "Catholic" Charities.

Don't be so fast to make insults from a position of knowing nothing...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2011 - 12:33AM #57
Wanderingal

Oct 11, 2011 -- 11:09PM, jane2 wrote:

The current catechism of the RCC is based on Pope John Paul II's biases.The current pope, Benedict XVI, promoted those biases.

Catholic Charities, however, is under the direction and rules of the current RCC bishops, many of whom have bought into the biases. They have little to no discretion now. Rome is ruling with an iron fist. Sometimes we must look at what is, not what we might prefer.

Many of us who were baptized Catholic do not support the current system, run by rigid central Europeans. I don't. And I don't give them my $$$. I find other ways to support those in need. I also support the separation of church and state always.

Cardinal Joseph Bernardin of Chicago died. He was the last of a more humane breed. Cardinal George is a horse of a much different hue. I wouldn't give him houseroom or even a cup of tea.

Maybe we need a new group to pick on, probably one that has done less good than Catholic Charities.

Telling the truth about Catholic Charities is "picking on" them?

And what do YOU call their immoral treatment of Gays and vulnerable children?

BTW--of course they have "Discretion" What do you think they are--third graders?

These are grown men who are in power who are supposed to be living according to a highly moral system of beliefs.

Geesh.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2011 - 1:24AM #58
jane2

Oct 12, 2011 -- 12:33AM, Wanderingal wrote:

Oct 11, 2011 -- 11:09PM, jane2 wrote:

Telling the truth about Catholic Charities is "picking on" them?

And what do YOU call their immoral treatment of Gays and vulnerable children?

BTW--of course they have "Discretion" What do you think they are--third graders?

These are grown men who are in power who are supposed to be living according to a highly moral system of beliefs.

Geesh.....

Grow up and acknoweledge what is because it IS what is. And those grown men you mention believe they are highly moral and therin lies the problem. I've delineated the problem in some detail.

Catholic Charities undersome new auspices is functioning as it must.

The rest is about outside preferences that at present do not obtain. Let those at odds with Catholic Charities in Illinois find different sources with wider guidelines.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2011 - 2:08AM #59
Wanderingal

"Outside preferences" instead of morality?

Interesting comment on your standards....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2011 - 2:53AM #60
jane2

Oct 12, 2011 -- 2:08AM, Wanderingal wrote:

"Outside preferences" instead of morality?

Interesting comment on your standards....

You are dang right. You have set your standard and actually I have, also. You are not our moral guru either, WG. But I have also presented the current thinking of the PTB of the RCC.  You don't count and in truthI  don't either. Tax payers  of the State of Illinois poached on a Catholic group for years.

You do have a penchant for finding wrong, where no legal right has been arbrogated. Whatever floats your boat,

What do you do for fun??

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook