Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Who Should Be Allowed To Adopt?
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 2:52PM #1
Wanderingal

"Religion & Ethics Newsweekly"--a PBS program has again reported on a hotly debated current isue--whether the Catholic Church.Catholic charities in Illinois should be allowdd to dicriminate against Gay and NON-married couples when ti coems to fostering and adopting children.

This is a big deal in Illinois because the state is threatening to remove the funding for Catholic Charities because of what it considers to be discriminatiion--and because Catholic charities pretty much ahs the lock on choosign foster and adoptive parents in Illinois.

What are our thoughts on this?

The situation really puts into focus IMO the conflict between modern social changes versus the dogma of specific religions.

Here is the link to the story which can be viewed online or read online.

www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/september-30-2011/catholic-charities

EDIT:  video link video.pbs.org/video/14962525

Moderated by Stardove on Oct 04, 2011 - 11:19PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 2:57PM #2
BDboy

Oct 3, 2011 -- 2:52PM, Wanderingal wrote:

"Religion & Ethics Newsweekly"--a PBS program has again reported on a hotly debated current isue--whether the Catholic Church.Catholic charities in Illinois should be allowdd to dicriminate against Gay and NON-married couples when ti coems to fostering and adopting children.

This is a big deal in Illinois because the state is threatening to remove the funding for Catholic Charities because of what it considers to be discriminatiion--and because Catholic charities pretty much ahs the lock on choosign foster and adoptive parents in Illinois.

What are our thoughts on this?

The situation really puts into focus IMO the conflict between modern social changes versus the dogma of specific religions.

Here is the link to the story which can be viewed online or read online.

>>>>>> Catholic church and state agencies should sit down and iron out their differences. As long they have kids future and welfare as their primary focus, they can solve it.

If their "Ego" takes a priority, kids will suffer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 3:03PM #3
Wanderingal

The Catholic Charities leaders are adamant that they will NOT allow fostering or adopting by unmarried or Gay couples.

Period.

They say they'd rather lose the state funding.

Their discrimination is being compared to the Jim Crow laws and behavior that in the first half of the 20th century in the US that discriminated against African Americans.

Society changes but the Catholics won't/don't--to the detrmient of society in this case homeless/orphaned/abused children.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 3:31PM #4
TemplarS

I could not get the link to work.

In any case, a few points (I have some experience with the adoption system):

1) The adoption process in this country is already difficult enough without more strings and  conditions (why do you think so many people adopt from overseas?).

2)I think that there have been enough studies indicating gay couples make perfectly good parents that this should not be an issue.

3) If by "discrimination" is meant: gay couples, or non-married couples, or single people for that matter,  will not be considered at all:  in a situation where there are children who need homes, this is wrong.  As a private organization, CC may do as they wish, but withholding public funding seems to me appropriate.  So long as there are other organizations willing and able to pick up the slack; which may be part of the problem here.

4) In considering prospective adoptive parents, marital status seems to me appropriate in terms of granting preference.  It is a sign of a commitment, which would seem to be a factor in providing a stable home for a child.  How this would play out in states which do not recognize gay marriage is more difficult (legally);  it would not seem equitable to penalize people who are willing but legally unable to make suich a commitment. 

4) In many cases these days, particularly with newborns put up for adoption, the birth parent(s) have some ability to choose the adoptive parents (not sure whether CC does this).  In such cases, I think the wishes of the birth parents, in choosing amongst people who have been approved as prospective adoptive parents, should be considered. This is not, in my view, discrimination, but an integral part of making this sort of adoption work.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 3:31PM #5
Erey

I personally know a single woman and her adopted son and the son came from catholic charities.  The mother and I discussed that it was Catholic Charities where the boy came from.

She was not married at the time and is still not married.  She had been married before but had long since been divorced before she made any efforts to adopt a child. 

So I do know they will give children to a single person or at least they did in this case.  The boy is close to 12 years old now. 

So I don't know if there is a difference in region?  I would not be surprised to learn that there is a disconnect between the official rules of the organization and how the organization in reality behaves. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 6:05PM #6
REteach

I think the RCC can discriminate all it wants as long as it is not taking any state funds. Once you take state funds to do a job, you adhere to state norms.  

Think about it--why should gay people pay taxes to the RCC so it can treat them like crap?  They can be treated like crap without having to pay taxes to enjoy the privilege. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 7:02PM #7
Ken

Catholic Charities should not be receiving state funding in any event. If it is indeed a Catholic charity, it should be supported entirely by the voluntary donations of Catholics.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 7:22PM #8
mountain_man

Oct 3, 2011 -- 2:52PM, Wanderingal wrote:

...This is a big deal in Illinois because the state is threatening to remove the funding for Catholic Charities...

Why is the state funding a religious charity in the first place? If CC is operating as a contractor doing adoptions for the state, then they cannot discriminate on sex, sexual orientation, marriage status, and so on. If they choose to discriminate then they are free to do so without support from the state.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 8:04PM #9
rangerken

Catholic charities should be able to decide how it runs itself by itself and as long as nothing violates state or federal law the government should stay out!

BUT

No government subsidies of any kind should be given to any religious institution by government, period. I'm all for eliminating tax breaks/exemptions for all religions except for the actual buildings used for religious erices, or schooling, period.

I am, howver, in favor of school vouchers being used in religious schools becuse that is a decision made by parents, not government.

And on the thread topic, approval for adoption should be determined only by whether a child will be raised by a caring, loving parent or parents, gender immaterial, who can afford to properly raise the child and whose backgorunds indicate maturity, reliability and stability.

Ken

PS. I happen to be adopted. For one week in 1943 my name was Lawrence Kaster. I really lucked out!

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 8:19PM #10
jane2

Oct 3, 2011 -- 3:03PM, Wanderingal wrote:

The Catholic Charities leaders are adamant that they will NOT allow fostering or adopting by unmarried or Gay couples.

Period.

They say they'd rather lose the state funding.

Their discrimination is being compared to the Jim Crow laws and behavior that in the first half of the 20th century in the US that discriminated against African Americans.

Society changes but the Catholics won't/don't--to the detrmient of society in this case homeless/orphaned/abused children.

Then let Catholic Charities choose to go without public funding. Seems that simple to me but  I'm sure there are ramifications or there would be no complications.

Whether or not I agree with the Catholic stance on homosexuality or not is not the question. I have never been for public money going to church based groups : some of this began as an attempt to save tax dollars.

Each of us is free to adopt whatever ethical standard we choose within the law. Church groups are free to do likewise.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook