Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Super spaghetti is in the way
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 12:41AM #1
solfeggio
A new type of pasta, made from barley, is being developed in Italy and Spain, and this new type of spaghetti is supposed to be good for our hearts:

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/11...

www.webmd.com/diet/news/20110916/heart-h...

This new kind of pasta has more antioxidants than the regular type we've all been eating all our lives.   

(Actually, I'd never thought that traditional spaghetti could possibly not be good for us in the first place.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 12:52AM #2
teilhard

The Tomato-rich Marinara Sauce is LOADED with anti-Oxidents ... and the oft-included Olive Oil is Good Stuff, too ...

Taken with Red Wine  --  "Live long, and prosper ... "

Sep 18, 2011 -- 12:41AM, solfeggio wrote:

A new type of pasta, made from barley, is being developed in Italy and Spain, and this new type of spaghetti is supposed to be good for our hearts:

This new kind of pasta has more antioxidants than the regular type we've all been eating all our lives.   

(Actually, I'd never thought that traditional spaghetti could possibly not be good for us in the first place.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 1:23AM #3
jane2

Sep 18, 2011 -- 12:52AM, teilhard wrote:

The Tomato-rich Marinara Sauce is LOADED with anti-Oxidents ... and the oft-included Olive Oil is Good Stuff, too ...

Taken with Red Wine  --  "Live long, and prosper ... "

Sep 18, 2011 -- 12:41AM, solfeggio wrote:

My husband, as a diabetic, needed to avoid many tradtional pastas. Perhaps the new barley rather than wheat based pasta will help. I love barley based soups--very easy on the digistive tract. I make a dynamite meal soup with barley, beef and mushrooms, with a normal base including onions, carrots and celery.

Briing on the new barley based pasta. I like tomato-rich marinara with the olive oil base in many disguises, especially with good mushrooms. Sometimes I even like it with a dirty
martini with olives and olive juiice. (maverick)

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 7:23AM #4
DotNotInOz
I shouldn't think that being derived from barley will make much difference for those needing to restrict carbs.

Sure won't for celiacs and the gluten intolerant since barley contains gluten.

Never much cared for either the texture or flavor of barley myself. Jane, you're welcome to my share and then some.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 2:23PM #5
jane2

Sep 18, 2011 -- 7:23AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I shouldn't think that being derived from barley will make much difference for those needing to restrict carbs. Sure won't for celiacs and the gluten intolerant since barley contains gluten. Never much cared for either the texture or flavor of barley myself. Jane, you're welcome to my share and then some.

md

Why the nasty tone? I make a mean scotch broth, too--from scratch.

From the WEBmd piece :

The ingredients in barley, such as the dietary fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin E, are known to help peoples' hearts and digestive tracts.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 2:44PM #6
DotNotInOz
Nasty tone??? Whatever are you talking about???

Jane, you read something into my posting that was completely unintended, I assure you.

All the factors you listed don't render barley pasta any less a carbohydrate although a high fiber content may affect its glycemic index enough that it's not as bad as white wheat flour pasta for someone needing to restrict carbs.

Anyone needing to avoid gluten can't eat barley no matter what its beneficial nutrients. And that is simply a fact.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 2:51PM #7
MMarcoe

Sep 18, 2011 -- 7:23AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I shouldn't think that being derived from barley will make much difference for those needing to restrict carbs. Sure won't for celiacs and the gluten intolerant since barley contains gluten. Never much cared for either the texture or flavor of barley myself. Jane, you're welcome to my share and then some.

It will make a difference, but only to an extent. Barley has a lower glycemic index than wheat, which means its starch raises the blood sugar more slowly.

In terms of being low-glycemic, oats are the ultimate grain. They are very low.

Wheat is mid-level on the scale. Rice is quite high.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 3:51PM #8
DotNotInOz
Thanks for the GI info on barley, MMarcoe. I didn't know that it's naturally lower indexed than wheat.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 3:56PM #9
solfeggio

I knew that oats were low GI, which is good because I love oat porridge (with blueberries).  And yes, some rice is high GI, but Basmati is OK.  At least, that is what the dietician told me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 4:20PM #10
IreneAdler

White rice =64 glycemic index

Brown rice=55 glycemic index

Re: basmati rice:

According to the Canadian Diabetes Association, basmati rice has a "medium" glycemic index (between 56 and 69), thus making it more suitable for diabetics as compared to certain other grains and products made from white flour.[9]

From wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basmati

Course, this did not indicate white or brown basmati rice.

Irene

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook