Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Super spaghetti is in the way
3 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 11:23PM #21
DotNotInOz

I've only had barley in soup, too. 

Jane seems to have thought I meant I'd had it as a side dish when I said I thought as a child that barley would taste like rice. I thought it looked rather like rice and thus would have a similar flavor, especially when Mom told me both were grains. One of those misconceptions children often have due to lack of experience and immature judgment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2011 - 8:22AM #22
IreneAdler

Oh I adore barley!

Found rolled barley (much like rolled oats) and loved it for breakfast.

I used to bake it like rice and served it as a side dish. 

And, ever make bannocks with barley flour?  As they cook in the pan they turn a lovely golden color. 

But then, the gluten got me and I have to forego barley. Very sad.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2011 - 8:34AM #23
CharikIeia

Sep 18, 2011 -- 11:15PM, Girlchristian wrote:

I've never had barley in anything other than soup, not sure I would want to...

Beer traditionally is made of barley (malted), hop, and water. Plus yeast, of course...

In Germany, they consider beer with any different ingredient "no proper beer", i.e., not brewn according to the brewer guild's purity standards.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2011 - 9:03AM #24
DotNotInOz

You're quite correct about that, Charikleia, which is why IreneA and I seek out Redbridge and other gluten-free brands when we need a beer. For me, that's only in cooking these days as I drank my lifetime share while an undergrad. ;-)

I was thinking of barley that one can recognize as such. 

If I'm going to make myself sick on something beerish, give me a good stout ale any day, McSorley's in NYC having the best I've ever tasted. Abraham Lincoln visited McSorley's and delivered his Gettysburg Address to New Yorkers there which gives you an idea how long they've been in business.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook