Switch to Forum Live View Willow the Tortie Is Homeward Bound
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 1:41AM #1
solfeggio
This is one of those heart-warming stories in which we all delight:

www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/5630481/Missing...

Five years ago, Willow, a tortie cat, disappeared from her home in Colorado.  Her family did everything they could to find her, but all in vain.  She was gone.  But then, amazingly enough, this week the the family got a call from an animal rescue shelter in New York City.

Willow had been taken to their shelter, her microchip had given the shelter personnel all the information they needed to know about Willow, and they were going to make arrangements for her to go back to Colorado.

Needless to say, Willow's family are delighted.  They had thought they would never see her again.

Too bad Willow can't talk.  What marvelous adventures she might have been able to tell!     
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 11:52AM #2
DotNotInOz

Aha, the family lives in Boulder, CO then. I wondered when the first part of the story said "near the Rocky Mountains." That is one loooonnng way from NYC across a variety of terrains.

I can also understand the family thinking she likely had been eaten by some predator. There are lots of those in the foothills of the Rockies, and Boulder's residential areas likely extend well into the foothills anymore. Haven't been there for a number of years.

What an amazing story!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 11:04AM #3
Erey

When I was a child we took a few vacations to South Padre Island which is about 7-8 hours away by car.  My dad loved to fish and during that time we had a boat which he would pull in a trailer behind the car. 

One time somewhere between S. Padre and Corpus Christi a cat jumped into the boat we were pulling and we did not discover the cat untill we got home.  My mother felt that this cat must have been someone's beloved pet and was most likely sorely missed by it's owner.  She had this mental image of a old lady living alone with this cat as her primary companion.

Let it be noted that this was the age before the internet and before cheap long-distance calls, let alone microchips etc.

Somehow my mother figured out where we had stopped on the road and decided that was the most likely location where the cat entered the boat.  She figued out from there how to reach out to the people who ran that establishment to discover if someone was missing a cat.  There was someone missing a cat and she figured out how to have the cat shipped back to the mature (but not elderly) lady who was the owner. Everyone was happy

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 3:29PM #4
Ebon

That's a lovely story and also a reminder to everyone: Microchip your pets!

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2011 - 1:11AM #5
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook