Switch to Forum Live View Dog Mourns at Casket of Fallen Soldier
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 2:19PM #1
Girlchristian
This is just sweet...and sad.

today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44271018/ns/today...

Tumilson’s Labrador retriever, Hawkeye, was photographed lying by Tumilson’s casket in a heart-wrenching image taken at the funeral service in Tumilson’s hometown of Rockford, Iowa, earlier this week. Hawkeye walked up to the casket at the beginning of the service and then dropped down with a heaving sigh as about 1,500 mourners witnessed a dog accompanying his master until the end, reported CBS.

Picture at link.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 3:12PM #2
jane2

Aug 25, 2011 -- 2:19PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Tumilson’s Labrador retriever, Hawkeye, was photographed lying by Tumilson’s casket in a heart-wrenching image taken at the funeral service in Tumilson’s hometown of Rockford, Iowa, earlier this week. Hawkeye walked up to the casket at the beginning of the service and then dropped down with a heaving sigh as about 1,500 mourners witnessed a dog accompanying his master until the end, reported CBS.

Picture at link.

I saw that also.

Nine years ago, when my husband died our Norwegian Elkhound went into such severe mourning that my daughter and I found placement for him with an older couple with a young Elkhound. The couple was about the same age as my husband and I were had a similar large yard where the dogs could play.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 3:22PM #3
Girlchristian

Aug 25, 2011 -- 3:12PM, jane2 wrote:

Picture at link.

I saw that also.

Nine years ago, when my husband died our Norwegian Elkhound went into such severe mourning that my daughter and I found placement for him with an older couple with a young Elkhound. The couple was about the same age as my husband and I were had a similar large yard where the dogs could play.

That was good of you to do Jane! Dogs are remarkably sensitive animals. My parents lab passed away 6 months ago and their Puggle still looks for her daily. When I was at the worst point in my eating disorder, I passed out from the abuse I was doing to my body and my lab laid down next to me and when I came to, helped me get to my bed.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 3:45PM #4
DotNotInOz

I had a part-Persian, part-tabby cat that did something similar for me when I was attempting to cope after a devastating separation from my soon-to-be ex-husband.

I couldn't eat much of anything--lost twenty pounds in about three weeks--and couldn't sleep much at all.

Puffalump wouldn't leave me alone when I got home from work. She'd follow me about and insisted upon curling up next to me when I'd try to get some sleep. When I did get to sleep, it would often be to the sound of her purring.

She did that for several weeks until I began to feel better and started acting more like myself. At that point, she returned to being a good friend but not shadowing my every move as much, just as she'd been shortly after adopting me while I was going to grad school and living solo in a tiny studio apartment.

We were together for over 15 years, until she gradually become hobbled by arthritis and then one day quit eating. I stayed home from work the day before I'd scheduled to have her put down and spent most of the day cuddling her and telling her what a wonderful friend she'd been all those years. We "talked" back and forth just as we always had.

I know she understood I didn't want to do that, but I also didn't want her to waste away slowly and painfully.

The vet warned me that there might be involuntary reflexive spasms once the injection took effect, but Puffer simply sighed and was gone.

That was almost eight years ago, and I miss her still.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 4:28PM #5
jane2

Aug 25, 2011 -- 3:22PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Aug 25, 2011 -- 3:12PM, jane2 wrote:

Picture at link.

I saw that also.

That was good of you to do Jane! Dogs are remarkably sensitive animals. My parents lab passed away 6 months ago and their Puggle still looks for her daily. When I was at the worst point in my eating disorder, I passed out from the abuse I was doing to my body and my lab laid down next to me and when I came to, helped me get to my bed.

Dogs are so amazing. When I had the flu two years ago my little Malte-Poo stayed with me day and night and even curried my face and ears. We are still learning about our best friends. Lovely story about your lab.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 11:58PM #6
teilhard

Anyone who has lived with a "Companion Animal" KNOWS what a "Soul" Is ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 12:24AM #7
jane2

Aug 25, 2011 -- 11:58PM, teilhard wrote:

Indeed. we dooo.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 1:19AM #8
solfeggio

They are, indeed, dear, precious souls that give us unconditional love and never ask anything in return.  We don't think of ourselves as 'owning' an animal.  Rather, they are family.  And we treat them as such.

The OP reminds me of the - possibly apocryphal - story of Greyfriars Bobby, the Skye terrier of Edinburgh who remained close to his dead master's grave for many years. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 2:16AM #9
Ebon

That's incredibly touching (albeit in a maudlin sort of way).

Aug 25, 2011 -- 11:58PM, teilhard wrote:

Grimmer once told us that, if heaven didn't have her dogs, it wouldn't be heaven.

Dot: You made me cry. I still miss Jelli and Mac, Sandy and Suki. I'm being comforted by Lily's snoring from the sofa. Honestly, you wouldn't think a housecat could snore so loudly.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2011 - 11:47AM #10
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook