Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View "Midas Touch" My Plate
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 1:19PM #21
Erey

Our grandparents did not eat much in the way of fresh fruits and veggies.  They did when the fruit and veggies was in season in their area but out of season and hundreds of miles away was too much of a hurdle.  I am turning more to frozen vegetables which are cheaper and easier to prepare.

I have this friend who is truly poor, she exists soley off of disability payments.  She is extranged from her family and frankly she is unpleasant so people don't like her and don't want to really be friends with her.  Basically, she gets her disability and that is it, I think occasionaly she might hit someone up for a few bucks here and there but she typically can not get the same person twice because people avoid her. 

She gets her disability checks and she has to watch every penny, which she is pretty good at. 

She eats a healthy diet, she is a commited vegetarian sometimes vegan.  She makes alot of beans, really no processed food at all and her fresh produce is parsed out

She looks great, she used to be obese and she dropped quite a bit of weight.  Her need for hypertension medication has gone down.  If she can do this as crazy as she is, I think more people can also take charge of their diet. 

Here is the thing, highly processed food full of delicious salty and sugary foods is not going anywhere, it is here to stay.    This whole healthy diet and fitness - ain't nobody gonna do it for you!  you have to do it for yourself.    The government can't do it for you.  Each person has to decide for themselves.  Life is full of challenges people!  Instead of whinning that the government can't make you svelte and beautiful get up off your behind and make a few positive changes for yourself. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 1:22PM #22
Erey

Aug 5, 2011 -- 12:00PM, Ken wrote:

Aug 5, 2011 -- 11:55AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Rice, however, is a grain, and only 1/4 of My Plate can be grain-based.   Where will that nearly 50% veggies come from is a more significant question.

No problem. Just ignore My Plate.

maybe so!  Eating a sensible portion of rice or potato is not going to make you fat!  What makes you fat is when you eat 3-4  portions of rice in one sitting and top it off with lots of butter. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2011 - 11:06PM #23
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook