Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View McDonald's Making Change to Happy Meal
3 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2011 - 7:37PM #1
Girlchristian
www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/food_...

McDonald’s on Tuesday said that it would add apple slices and reduce the portion of French fries in its children’s meal boxes beginning this fall, effectively taking away consumers’ current choice between either having apples with caramel dip or fries as a Happy Meal side.

I don't have a problem with this, although I find this fact interesting:

But apparently, customers aren’t making those choices in practice. Indeed, only about 11 percent of customers were ordering apples with their Happy Meals, even though 88 percent were aware they had the option, the restaurant said.

I think arguing that this move isn't enough is just silly. There is nothing wrong with a small portion of fries with their meal.

My favorite quote of the article is:

LaMonte Riker, a New York carpenter eating a chicken salad at a McDonald’s on Tuesday, doesn’t have kids but thinks the Happy Meal changes can’t hurt. He also said he doesn’t think it’s fair for people to blame McDonald’s for their health problems.

"It’s not McDonald’s that’s making your kids fat; you’re making your kids fat by taking them to McDonald’s," said Riker, 44. "And I don’t think McDonald’s is that fattening if you don’t eat it on a daily basis."

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2011 - 11:14AM #2
Erey

I think kids will eat a few apple slices if put in front of them but they typically won't choose those apple slices given a choice with french fries or apple. 

I dont see this as having an effect on childhood obesity.

also kids have the choice to choose soda, milk or I think even juice with the happy meal.  They typically choose soda

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2011 - 11:38AM #3
DotNotInOz
I wouldn't bet good money that the caramel dip with those apple slices does much to enhance their healthfulness as part of a Happy Meal.

The obvious solution is to make eating at MickeyD's a rare treat instead of a frequent occurrence.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2011 - 11:42AM #4
IreneAdler

Jul 27, 2011 -- 11:38AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I wouldn't bet good money that the caramel dip with those apple slices does much to enhance their healthfulness as part of a Happy Meal.   The obvious solution is to make eating at MickeyD's a rare treat instead of a frequent occurrence.

Exactly!

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2011 - 12:50PM #5
Girlchristian

Jul 27, 2011 -- 11:14AM, Erey wrote:

I think kids will eat a few apple slices if put in front of them but they typically won't choose those apple slices given a choice with french fries or apple. 

I dont see this as having an effect on childhood obesity.

also kids have the choice to choose soda, milk or I think even juice with the happy meal.  They typically choose soda

I would argue that it's the parents that have the choice between soda, milk, or juice and the parents should be choosing the milk (mine did, if we got to eat out).

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2011 - 12:51PM #6
Girlchristian

Jul 27, 2011 -- 11:38AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I wouldn't bet good money that the caramel dip with those apple slices does much to enhance their healthfulness as part of a Happy Meal. The obvious solution is to make eating at MickeyD's a rare treat instead of a frequent occurrence.

Agree, although the article says that the caramel dip won't come with the apples in this change. I don't remember eating McD's that much as a kid, with 3 kids on an enlisted man's salary, money wasn't always there to splurge on those things.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2011 - 1:57PM #7
DotNotInOz
Sorry, I was unclear in referring to the option of slices with caramel dip or fries that will be replaced by plain apple slices and fewer fries.

It still bothers me that McDonalds is being pressured to do this when the more logical solution is for parents to monitor their kids' eating habits and exercise more.

That and some parental practice saying "NO!" (and meaning it!) would probably have a far greater impact on childhood obesity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2011 - 2:08PM #8
Iwantamotto

I'm growing more and more cynical that ANY child is being parented anymore, though.  We have laws in this country because it can't be assumed people will avoid doing something harmful.  Apparently, we're gonna have to do something to counter the obvious fact that parents like having spoiled brats.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2011 - 2:10PM #9
Erey

Jul 27, 2011 -- 1:57PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Sorry, I was unclear in referring to the option of slices with caramel dip or fries that will be replaced by plain apple slices and fewer fries.   It still bothers me that McDonalds is being pressured to do this when the more logical solution is for parents to monitor their kids' eating habits and exercise more.   That and some parental practice saying "NO!" (and meaning it!) would probably have a far greater impact on childhood obesity.

Yes No is not a dirty word

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2011 - 2:14PM #10
Girlchristian

Jul 27, 2011 -- 1:57PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Sorry, I was unclear in referring to the option of slices with caramel dip or fries that will be replaced by plain apple slices and fewer fries. It still bothers me that McDonalds is being pressured to do this when the more logical solution is for parents to monitor their kids' eating habits and exercise more. That and some parental practice saying "NO!" (and meaning it!) would probably have a far greater impact on childhood obesity.

Oh, I agree, that's why my favorite quote from the article is the gentleman that thinks it's silly to blame McDonald's for obesity. It comes down to choice and we all have the choice to make McDonald's a daily meal or a once/week or once/month 'splurge.'

In the case of children, it's always the parent's responsibility to say 'no.'

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook