Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Switch to Forum Live View McDonald's Making Change to Happy Meal
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 2:11PM #61
Erey

I think a typical hamburger with a few minor modifications can be reasonably healthy for your average person.  You know use the mayo sparingly, no bun or whole wheat bun - simple moves like that. 

In my mind a hot dog is less  healthy.  In my thinking because it is typically so very processed and loaded up with salt in the process.    However, eating a hot dog now and again is not going to be the reason you can't run the marathon at age 80.  If you are going to eat an occasional hot dog  July 4th is the time to do it!

Nobody likes miserable teenagers at holiday parties sulking because they don't like the healthy side dishes or worse, gorging on chips because that is the only think that looks palatable to them.  The young can be so picky about food!  Mine are better than average about what they will eat but it is still a pain. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 7:59PM #62
solfeggio

People eat hot dogs at baseball games, don't they?

But, it is true that various studies have shown that hot dogs and other processed meats really aren't good for us. 

www.totalhealthbreakthroughs.com/2007/12...

Black puddings (made of blood, barley and other bits and pieces) are very popular here.  Even if I was a meat-eater, I couldn't stomach the idea of eating something made out of blood.  Eweewwwww.

But, since there are plenty of alternatives to the hot dog or sausage or bacon, I wouldn't think it would be any great sacrifice on anybody to lose them.

I liked the comment by Dot about the dried-up old french fry that her cat so enjoyed.  One of our cats loves potato chips, and another one likes to lick a piece of rye bread. 

Dot also mentioned that they had had to put the cat down five years ago in January.  Isn't it interesting that we always remember these sad anniversaries?  I suppose it is because our animal friends really are part of the family.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 8:21PM #63
jane2

I would think that the everyday meals families consume matter much more in the long run than what is eaten at the occasional family  BBQ or at the ballpark...............

One of my fave old family photos is of our children and cousins at a Royals (KC) game on kids cap day and all are scarfing down ballpark goodies, including cotton candy. My b-i-l had purchased a whole club section. The kids were all wearing their Royals caps too--the old woolen caps.

Within wise parameters we should enjoy our food and special days and outings.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 11:05AM #64
newsjunkie

Aug 3, 2011 -- 8:21PM, jane2 wrote:

I would think that the everyday meals families consume matter much more in the long run than what is eaten at the occasional family  BBQ or at the ballpark...............

One of my fave old family photos is of our children and cousins at a Royals (KC) game on kids cap day and all are scarfing down ballpark goodies, including cotton candy. My b-i-l had purchased a whole club section. The kids were all wearing their Royals caps too--the old woolen caps.

Within wise parameters we should enjoy our food and special days and outings.

Our home team, the Astros (AKA Lastros), are the worst team in baseball. The only things to look forward to when going to an Astros game are the hot dogs and beer!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 12:43PM #65
NATAS

Aug 3, 2011 -- 7:59PM, solfeggio wrote:

People eat hot dogs at baseball games, don't they?

But, it is true that various studies have shown that hot dogs and other processed meats really aren't good for us. 

www.totalhealthbreakthroughs.com/2007/12... 

Yes it is true that some people do eat hot dogs at baseball games. 

That is their choice. 

Some people don't eat hot dogs at baseball games.  They eat other foods that are also unhealthy.  That is also their choice. 

The various food vendors sell them because that is what people want to eat. 

If people wanted to eat some yummy bean sprouts and tofu then the food vendors would sell them some yummy beans sprouts and tofu. 

Black puddings (made of blood, barley and other bits and pieces) are very popular here.  Even if I was a meat-eater, I couldn't stomach the idea of eating something made out of blood.  Eweewwwww.

Are there any studies about unhealthy black puddings are? 

The way you describe it I wouldn't want to try black puddings either.  

But I have never tasted black pudding.   I looked up what is black pudding

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

It is a type of sausage.  I don't know what black pudding tastes like, but I do like the taste of sausages.  I might like the taste of black pudding. 

But, since there are plenty of alternatives to the hot dog or sausage or bacon, I wouldn't think it would be any great sacrifice on anybody to lose them. 

You don't think it would be a "great" sacrifice because you are a vegetarian or vegan. 

People aren't going to die if they make the "great" sacrifice by not eating unhealthy foods. 

However it is a sacrifice.  The "great" sacrifice is being deprived of the choice to eat what you want even if it is unhealthy. 

I tried  healthy veggie burghers burgers a couple of times.  

"Eweewwwww."  

With regards to Mc Donald's and their decision to force people to buy Happy Meals with apple slices I found this article

reason.com/archives/2011/07/26/mcdonalds...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 1:07PM #66
farragut

Blutwurst is a standard deli item in Louisville. We have strong German culinary traditions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2011 - 10:09PM #67
Ebon

Black pudding is a standard menu item in this part of England. I'm told they're an acquired taste but I never cared for them so I choose not to acquire it. They also tend to be served fried which is unhealthy in itself.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 12:50AM #68
Paravani

Hi, All!

Ya know, in Finland they love their potatoes...  and their butter, which is so heavenly that hubby and I actually packed a couple of pounds of it into our luggage to take home.  You never tasted anything so GOOD, so rich and flavorful...  it tasted like butter PLUS butter.  Mmm-mm-MM!

Oh, and the pastries!  More butter, plus flaky goodness, and sugar, and chocolate...

Lattes with fabulous rich Finnish milk, with Finnish whipped cream on top...

Potatoes with MORE butter!  ... and sour cream, and oh my God amazing food with calories galore!

We were only there for 2 weeks, but we ate like pigs, like the Finns do...  well, with excellent manners I mean, just ate plenty of rich, delicious food loaded with tons of butter and sugar and cream...

When we came home, my complexion was fabulous, the best it has ever been since I was a little kid.  My skin was completely clear, and it GLOWED.  I had roses in my cheeks, and I looked about twenty years younger.

And, oh yeah -- I had lost five pounds.

So, has it occurred to anyone here -- anyone at all? -- that American obesity might well be due to the hormones and chemicals the FDA has approved for fattening our cattle (adding 30% to their slaughter weight in the last three months of their lives) and preserving our food?  Did you know that those hormones aren't destroyed by cooking -- they go into our bodies in the same form in which they fattened the cattle?

I gained 50 pounds the year after the FDA approved rBGH hormones for increased milk production in dairy cattle.  I didn't learn about them until eight years later...  but I remembered (you don't forget a disaster like that) that I'd gained 50 pounds that year.

How much weight did you gain in 1994?

Contrary to American mythology, Europeans DON'T eat leaner food or less of it. 

For instance, walk into any British grocery store, and you'll find an entire aisle devoted to chocolate and other high-fat, low-nutrition sweets.  (Ebon, am I right?)  And fer Gawd's sake, their iconic national dish is fish-n-chips!  Which is way more greasy prepared London style than the American versions.  And let us not forget, Burger King is a Brit chain -- yes, it's British, not American.

So why aren't the Brits as fat as we are?  Why aren't the Europeans as fat as we are?  If it isn't virtue, leaner diets, or less food, then what IS the difference?

Why ARE Europeans so darned skinny?

I've been to many parts of Europe, and I can assure you, those people like food as much or even more than we do.  Italy has its pasta and multi-course meals; Finns have their butter and potatoes; the Brits have their deep-fried fish-n-chips and aisles of chocolate; the French have their rich sauces and aisles of cheeses, wines, and ready-to-eat dairy-case mousses and creme-brulees...

The one thing they don't have in Europe is hormone-enhanced food.  They don't allow hormones in their meat or dairy.  None, nada, zilch.

And that, as far as I have been able to discern, is the only difference between the European diet and ours.

Love,

-- Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2011 - 6:07PM #69
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest