Page 6 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View McDonald's Making Change to Happy Meal
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 10:12AM #51
DotNotInOz
I expect that there are at least two reasons why McD's is offering apple slices as their healthier option. 

One, I'd bet they'll be those gross bagged slices loaded with citric acid to keep them from getting brown. Their main advantage is that they come packaged, are easier to store and have a longer shelf life than whole apples not to mention no processing time or effort required.

However, they are mushy and don't have anywhere near the crispness or flavor of a fresh apple. I can't imagine many kids will eat those willingly. 

Second, MickeyD's doesn't expect many will choose the apple slices anyway, so it's likely a temporary sop that won't last long. 

Solfeggio is right--carrot or cucumber strips would make far more sense. Grape tomatoes would, too, especially since those are cute and small enough to be one easy bite for little kids. 

McDonald's already has salads, so making carrot or cuke sticks available wouldn't be a huge deal.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 10:36AM #52
DotNotInOz

Aug 2, 2011 -- 11:21PM, jane2 wrote:

Solf

For our Fourth of July barbecued (grilled) hamburgers and hot dogs we served a side buffet of fresh-cut pineapple, strawberries, watermelon, fresh cherries, sliced cukes ,mac'n cheese, baked beans--no fries.

Sorry, Jane, but mac and cheese and baked beans equal if not exceed french fries as unhealthy options. Both are typically loaded with fat and sodium, baked beans usually having a ton of sugar besides.

I could be wrong, but I'd bet that few people passed on the mac & cheese or baked beans and ate only the fresh, raw options as side dishes. 

'Fraid I can't give that menu kudos. It's fairly standard American cookout fare with a mere nod to healthy eating.

Now, with only a green salad and perhaps some tabouli or a marinated chickpea salad as side dishes, your health-consciousness score would have been far higher.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 10:39AM #53
Nepenthe

Aug 3, 2011 -- 10:36AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Aug 2, 2011 -- 11:21PM, jane2 wrote:

Solf

For our Fourth of July barbecued (grilled) hamburgers and hot dogs we served a side buffet of fresh-cut pineapple, strawberries, watermelon, fresh cherries, sliced cukes ,mac'n cheese, baked beans--no fries.

Sorry, Jane, but mac and cheese and baked beans equal if not exceed french fries as unhealthy options. Both are typically loaded with fat and sodium, baked beans usually having a ton of sugar besides.

Any negative health effects in this 4th of July meal will easily be displaced by 30-45 minutes of solid outdoor activity.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 10:49AM #54
DotNotInOz
Yes, well, if Jane's family is anything like my relatives, most if not all that healthy, vigorous post-cookout activity will be done by the kids. The adults would be sitting around chatting while drinking beers or sodas.

I doubt that a mere half hour to 45 minutes' activity would burn off a typical helping of mac & cheese or baked beans when either and probably both accompanied a burger or hot dog.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 11:01AM #55
Ebon

Aug 3, 2011 -- 10:12AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

One, I'd bet they'll be those gross bagged slices loaded with citric acid to keep them from getting brown. Their main advantage is that they come packaged, are easier to store and have a longer shelf life than whole apples not to mention no processing time or effort required.

They are. McDonald's have been offering them here since the McLibel trial and they're absolutely disgusting. Tasteless and mushy with a weird waxy aftertaste. Why the hell they can't just buy some apples and chop them to order is beyond me.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 11:14AM #56
Ebon

Aug 2, 2011 -- 11:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

So, if McDonalds was serious about introducing something different with their happy meal, they might be looking more into tomatoes or even cucumber slices.  A slice of ripe tomato or cucumber with a little salt is very tasty.

Most kids I know dislike the texture of cucumber. I'd suggest that a good companion to a good burger (not that you'll get a good burger from McD's) would be a small salad: Lettuce, rocket and tomato with basil, finished with a light dressing, made to order. Or, if you prefer potato with a burger, try a mash made with a 50/50 mix of regular and sweet potato.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 11:28AM #57
DotNotInOz
Oh, I'm sure you know why MickeyD's won't slice an actual apple to order. The main reason is that doing so would result in too much employee hands-on time along with leftover apple that couldn't be stored efficiently. 

As we're aware, fast food is more about easy-keeping quality than about true flavor or healthfulness. 

When I saw Morgan Spurlock's documentary, Super-Size Me, I decided to test some McDonald's french fries' keeping quality. He was quite correct; those things stay intact with no signs of mold for months on end. They dry out but look nearly as they did when you bought them.

In fact, I was digging down into a crevice of my recliner for a dropped needle not long ago and came up with a McDonald's french fry that I know was at least 4 or more years old. We haven't brought their food home since we moved here three years ago, and that fry could easily have been one my deceased cat dropped unnoticed by me. We had to put her down five years ago in January. 

I kid you not, that French fry looked as fresh as if I'd just plucked it out of the packet. Its pseudo-fresh appearance was really quite scary. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 12:49PM #58
farragut

Is that a good way to get rid of a cat; feed it McFries?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 1:06PM #59
DotNotInOz
Actually, no. That cat adored McD's fries, would drive me nuts pawing my legs and yowling until she got a share. She lived to about 19, so I can safely say that an occasional overindulgence in MickeyD's fries didn't do her any notable damage.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 1:13PM #60
jane2

Y'all.

Our most popular side dishes on the Fourth were the fresh fruit and sliced cucumbers. Four of my teen grandchildren are runners and one plays wheelchair sports. Not a sedentary lot!!! All take AP courses, except the oldest who just aced his freshman year at MIT...........

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook