Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Restaurant Sued for Serving Meat
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:40PM #51
DotNotInOz
Furthermore, I don't see any valid comparison between soil that has been enriched by decomposition--the end of that process--and the belief that a Hindu will be purified by bathing in or drinking water of the Ganges River.  

We don't eat that enriched soil but instead eat plants grown in it, an entirely different matter. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:49PM #52
DotNotInOz
Ummm...but it's not merely ashes of the dead that go into the Ganges. Recently deceased bodies of both people and animals are ritually released into its waters as well as cremated remains.  

No, I don't see anything defensible about the sanctity of the Ganges, often cited as the most polluted river in the world.  

www.wordfocus.com/word-ganges.html

I'm with Ken: No reasonable Hindu would consider bathing in or drinking that water!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:54PM #53
Wanderingal

Hindus from all over the world make pilgrimage to Mother Ganges--to bathe in it.

I don't think non-Hindus can judge this to be "unreasonable" since it is so pervasive in the general Hindu belief system--any more than a Hindu could judge the urge of many Christians to visit Israel/the Holy Land for some undemonstrable "spiritual" benefits.

(BTW--I have a master's degree in Comparative Religions and Cultures so my info comes form having studied world religions for many years.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 2:04PM #54
DotNotInOz
Just because it's a pervasive Hindu belief doesn't make it rational in view of the river's extreme degree of pollution.

Christians traveling to the sites of their Holy Land on pilgrimage is not equivalent
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 2:07PM #55
Ken

Jul 22, 2011 -- 1:17PM, Wanderingal wrote:

Ken--again--you're using YOUR ideas about Hinduism--not the ideas of HIndus.

No, I'm using the ideas of Hindus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 2:09PM #56
Ken

Jul 22, 2011 -- 1:54PM, Wanderingal wrote:

Hindus from all over the world make pilgrimage to Mother Ganges--to bathe in it.

However, pilgrimages aren't mandatory in Hinduism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 2:14PM #57
Wanderingal

Jul 22, 2011 -- 2:04PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Just because it's a pervasive Hindu belief doesn't make it rational in view of the river's extreme degree of pollution. Christians traveling to the sites of their Holy Land on pilgrimage is not equivalent

Dot--hi.

Why do you think that they are not equivalent? This could be a very interesting discussion. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 2:17PM #58
Wanderingal

Jul 22, 2011 -- 2:09PM, Ken wrote:

Jul 22, 2011 -- 1:54PM, Wanderingal wrote:

However, pilgrimages aren't mandatory in Hinduism.

That's a non-issue.

They're not mandatory in Christianity either.

(May I take your non-answer to my Q about your being in a country other than the US--and therefore having references to a different legal system--as an implied yes?)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 2:41PM #59
DotNotInOz

Jul 22, 2011 -- 2:14PM, Wanderingal wrote:

Just because it's a pervasive Hindu belief doesn't make it rational in view of the river's extreme degree of pollution. 

Christians traveling to the sites of their Holy Land on pilgrimage is not equivalent

Dot--hi.

Why do you think that they are not equivalent? This could be a very interesting discussion. :)

The reasons for each pilgrimage are dramatically different, WG. 

The Hindus filing this lawsuit assert that they are religiously obliged to go to the Ganges for spiritual purification to right a misdeed--having eaten a forbidden food. 

Christians don't travel to their Holy Land for such reasons. There is no sect of Christianity that mandates a trip to the Holy Land in order to be forgiven or spiritually cleansed for a transgression. In fact, most Christians would regard having unintentionally and unknowingly eaten a taboo food as nothing wrong. Sin is only the result of willful intent.

A good many Christians, in fact, would regard a belief that one must go to the Holy Land to be forgiven as both idolatrous and denying the power of God to forgive when asked. 

Hence, there is no equivalence. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 2:49PM #60
Wanderingal

Jul 22, 2011 -- 2:41PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Jul 22, 2011 -- 2:14PM, Wanderingal wrote:

Just because it's a pervasive Hindu belief doesn't make it rational in view of the river's extreme degree of pollution.  Christians traveling to the sites of their Holy Land on pilgrimage is not equivalent

Dot--hi.

The reasons for each pilgrimage are dramatically different, WG.  The Hindus filing this lawsuit assert that they are religiously obliged to go to the Ganges for spiritual purification to right a misdeed--having eaten a forbidden food.  Christians don't travel to their Holy Land for such reasons. There is no sect of Christianity that mandates a trip to the Holy Land in order to be forgiven or spiritually cleansed for a transgression. In fact, most Christians would regard having unintentionally and unknowingly eaten a taboo food as nothing wrong. Sin is only the result of willful intent. A good many Christians, in fact, would regard a belief that one must go to the Holy Land to be forgiven as both idolatrous and denying the power of God to forgive when asked.  Hence, there is no equivalence. 

Hi Dot--thanks for your reply.

I'd like to take some time to think about how to phrase my response so I'll be back later to do that.

I hope your day is going well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook