Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Restaurant Sued for Serving Meat
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 8:57AM #1
TemplarS
Okay, this is a curious item from my area:

www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/edison...

A group of Hindu residents can sue an Edison restaurant for money to travel to India, where they say they must purify their souls after eating meat, a state appellate court panel ruled Monday.

I think it's clear there was negligence and possibily emotional damage done, but- a trip to India as a remedy?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 9:33AM #2
Christianlib

Can McDonalds be sued if they accidently serve food?

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 10:40AM #3
TemplarS

If they fried up a piece of beef and served it as a chicken Mcnugget, evidently so...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 10:51AM #4
Christianlib

Temp,

My comment indicated that I don't think the stuff they currently serve can actually be classed as "food."

Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 11:10AM #5
MysticWanderer

Looks like a fairly straight forward violation of warranty type action as the restaurant had assured(guaranteed) that the dishes would be vegetarian And they were not.  As to the degree of damages that will, be determined later by the courts but in general plaintiff's attorneys always ask for every dime they can think of.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 11:13AM #6
MMarcoe

From the article:

The diners said the mix-up has harmed them spiritually and monetarily, and that to cleanse themselves of their sin — even though it was committed unknowingly — they must participate in a purification ritual in India’s Ganges River.

Pradip (Peter) Kothari, president of the Indo-American Cultural Society in Edison, said he was unaware of the lawsuit but said he thought it should have been dismissed.

"This is a hypocrisy of religion and a hypocrisy of the law," said Kothari, who conceded that he does not strictly observe the Hindu religion. "They can go to a temple here and ask God for forgiveness. God is not going to punish you for doing something unknowingly."

I agree with Pradip. They can go to a temple in the US and do their purifying. And speaking as a 20-year vegetarian, I can tell you that eating meat doesn't harm you spiritually or monetarily, as the diners said. These diners are greedy opportunists.

There were a few times when I think I unknowingly ate meat. I just shrugged it off as something that was probably inevitable here and there. I certainly didn't feel spiritually violated.

Greedy bastards.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 11:22AM #7
Erey

I think it is a bad prescedent.

I think these hindus want a paid vacation back home to India.  The fact is there are lots of meats here in the US and if you eat out you pretty much eat with meat.  So havent these gentlemen been served food on plates that prior served meat dishes?  I think in India it is much easier to avoid accidentaly eating meat.  However I have known lots of muslims and jews not to mention vegetarians who accidentaly ingested pork.  I dont buy that these need 30 days in India to take care of this.  If this were true and their virtue were so fragile then they would never eat at a restaurant that serves meat, period.  How can they be sure eating vegetarian dishes off of plates that serve meat dishes does not give them polluting residue? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 11:26AM #8
Christianlib

Did you mean bad "precedent"?

And, BTW, it isn't a legal precedent until the court case is complete and a judicial ruling made.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 12:22PM #9
Ken

Jul 20, 2011 -- 11:22AM, Erey wrote:

How can they be sure eating vegetarian dishes off of plates that serve meat dishes does not give them polluting residue? 

They probably assume that the plates have been washed. If you find a residue of meat sticking to your plate, you're certainly allowed to make a fuss about it - not because you were in danger of eating meat, but because the restaurant is dirty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 12:32PM #10
Girlchristian

Jul 20, 2011 -- 12:22PM, Ken wrote:

Jul 20, 2011 -- 11:22AM, Erey wrote:

How can they be sure eating vegetarian dishes off of plates that serve meat dishes does not give them polluting residue? 

They probably assume that the plates have been washed. If you find a residue of meat sticking to your plate, you're certainly allowed to make a fuss about it - not because you were in danger of eating meat, but because the restaurant is dirty.

Well, we know that peanut residue can remain even after washing, which is why those with severe peanut allergies have to be more careful when ordering. When I was a vegetarian, I knew many vegetarians that wouldn't eat anywhere where there wasn't a "specified" cooking area for the vegetarian meals so that they could be sure their food was not in any way contaminated by meat that was cooked prior.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook