Page 4 of 17  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Michele Obama's burger (and fries)
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 1:00AM #31
solfeggio

Gee, thanks, Dot, for calling me an igoramus and an idiot.  That sort of crap warrants a message from me to the moderator of this site.

If Americans want to pig out on crap food and turn into hippos, fine.  And Mrs. President thinks that's great idea and joins in the fun, great.  Go for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 1:16AM #32
solfeggio

arielg -

Thank you for expressing my thought.  As usual, you and rabello were the only ones who 'got' it.

The foolish responses from everybody else are par for the course, I guess.  If fast food isn't at least a big part of the problem of growing American obesity, then I don't know what is. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 1:52AM #33
jane2

Jul 15, 2011 -- 1:00AM, solfeggio wrote:

Gee, thanks, Dot, for calling me an igoramus and an idiot.  That sort of crap warrants a message from me to the moderator of this site.

If Americans want to pig out on crap food and turn into hippos, fine.  And Mrs. President thinks that's great idea and joins in the fun, great.  Go for it.

You dissed our First Lady for saying she enjoyed the occasional burger, fries and milkshake. Most of us do on occasion. So you dissed the many of us who do likewise on occasion. It's Americana and not all of of us overeat. Bet you dollars to donuts she consumed less than half of the entire meal.

You are gaga about Betty Ford and criticize Michelle Obama--tres, tres weird.

You have every right to be a Kiwi vegan. Something  that interests me is how you wound up in NZ. You've never said. You are not a native Kiwi.

I remember m ybest friend and mentor in Bangkok telling me that when they lived in Germany in the 60's depatrment stores had mannequins in large sizes in their windows. That was almost forty years ago. For manyyears she and her family lived in a penthouse in Monmartre, Paris. No such mannequins there.

You dislike much of Americana. So be it, but don't diss our First Lady for being American.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 3:55AM #34
Ebon

Jul 14, 2011 -- 2:40PM, Stardove wrote:

Hold the presses....I had a hamburger on the 4th of July, but my patty was a black bean patty by Morning Star and very delicious.

We can have a burger without meat these days!!!

Point of order but if it doesn't contain meat, surely it's not a hamburger any more?

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 5:27AM #35
DotNotInOz
My point, Solfeggio, was that any reasonably well-informed person knows that the Obamas are staunch advocates of healthy living.

That you took my remark personally only testifies to your reaction, a defensive one.

Why not regard the contrasting opinions expressed here as nothing more than simple differences of opinion?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 7:12AM #36
DotNotInOz

Jul 15, 2011 -- 3:55AM, Ebon wrote:

Jul 14, 2011 -- 2:40PM, Stardove wrote:

Hold the presses....I had a hamburger on the 4th of July, but my patty was a black bean patty by Morning Star and very delicious.

We can have a burger without meat these days!!!

Point of order but if it doesn't contain meat, surely it's not a hamburger any more?

Technically true, Ebon, although those fond of such imitations do tend to refer to them as a burger. 

Personally, I wasn't at all enamored of those meat substitutes when I ate vegetarian. Many are quite high in sodium even though they're very low in fat and have no cholesterol. And frankly, most taste gawdawful compared with the real thing.   

As a vegan friend of mine attests, it's quite possible to eat unhealthily and gain too much weight on a vegetarian or vegan diet if you rely often on similar highly processed meat substitutes.

Those of us familiar with Solfeggio's stance are all too aware that she's convinced that ANY meat consumption is lethal. There is no leeway for Mrs. Obama's reasonable and worthy example of healthy eating with an occasional treat. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 8:06AM #37
arielg

[quote author=33486507 post=502496825]Oh, for Whatever's sake! The Obamas' respective fitness regimens have been so publicized that anyone who thinks Michelle Obama is promoting fast food by consuming a burger is both an ignoramus and an idiot unworthy of consideration.[/quote]

Not everybody is so aware  and hip as you are, out there.

It is probably just politics. She wants to be seen as a "real American", as opposed to those "organic, vegans, tree hugging, cultist weirdos, soft on mooslim terrorism".

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 8:09AM #38
DotNotInOz
I went back and re-read both the OP and article referenced. 

I think it's evident that where Solfeggio is concerned, Jane and Erey are quite correct: Nothing less than a never-varying vegan diet is acceptable. 

This thread yet again is intended to promote a thoroughly unreasonable view of what constitutes a healthy diet and worthy example. 

Furthermore, it's still another instance of dissing Americans for our cultural fondness for certain foods.

We GET IT, and few of us are likely to be swayed by such relentless scorn toward America and Americans.  
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 8:20AM #39
arielg

Jul 15, 2011 -- 8:09AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I went back and re-read both the OP and article referenced.  I think it's evident that where Solfeggio is concerned, Jane and Erey are quite correct: Nothing less than a never-varying vegan diet is acceptable. 

So?.

This thread yet again is intended to promote a thoroughly unreasonable view of what constitutes a healthy diet and worthy example.

By unreasonable  meaning whatever is not in line with the accepted present views of the majority, who just go by habit and aquired taste.

Furthermore, it's still another instance of dissing Americans for our cultural fondness for certain foods. We GET IT, and few of us are likely to be swayed by such relentless scorn toward America and Americans.

I doubt that you get it, if you have to resort to this kind of defensive arguments.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 8:22AM #40
DotNotInOz
To suggest as Arielg just did that Mrs. Obama is so concerned about her image as a "real American" that she doesn't care that her eating a burger, fries and a milkshake could be construed as advocacy is simply preposterous. 

I swear, is nothing a public figure does to be considered proportionally? Apparently not. 

As for those who conclude from this instance that Mrs. Obama was exemplifying desirable eating, she can hardly be blamed for their bad judgment and yes, idiocy. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 17  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook