Page 1 of 17  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Michele Obama's burger (and fries)
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2011 - 10:48PM #1
solfeggio

Talk about 'hot' topics -

I've read any number of comments in various online websites today commenting upon Michele Obama's meal choice, and here's the one that appeared in our own newspapers this morning:

www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cf...  

Of course, Mrs. Obama has the right to eat whatever she chooses whenever she wants, so that is not an issue.  Whether or not what she eats can be termed 'healthy' isn't an issue, either, I suppose, given that something like 99% of Americans regularly indulge in burgers and fries and Happy Meals - whatever they are - etc., etc.

The nutritionists saying that her choice is healthy does give pause, though.  Can this be something that should be said in a nation raising a generation of fatties?  Where more than half the population are not only overweight, but quickly becoming obese?

But, never mind that issue, either.  People eat what they want regardless of whether any authority figure tells them not to.  It's human nature.

What I found troubling was Mrs. Obama's offhand, thoughtless remark that she wouldn't want to live a life in which she couldn't have burgers and fries.    

Reading that, I could only think about the millions and millions of people all over the globe, living in absolute poverty in places like Calcutta, sub-Saharan Africa, and parts of Asia, where just getting barely enough food to sustain life is a major task for a family.  And where the majority of people do not have the means or the opportunity to get burgers and fries any time they wish.

Surprising, isn't it, how just one careless comment like that can cause a person to completely lose respect for someone?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2011 - 10:54PM #2
Ebon

Poorly phrased, absolutely. But if the worst that can be said about someone is the suffered the occasional foot-in-mouth moment (that's "moment", unlike Palin who has a foot-in-mouth career), that's really no great sin.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2011 - 11:10PM #3
Erey

I take it differently.  Afterall, Ms. Obama's audience is the american public, not people starving in North Korea or Somalia who can't get food easily.  Her audience is increasingly large waist-banded american public. 

What she is saying is that you can be fit and have a commitment to eating and living healthy and still enjoy your favorite foods on occasion.  Be it burger and fries or Guiness Stout, you can still enjoy those things as long as you do it in moderation. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2011 - 11:20PM #4
jane2

Solf

Now you want to diss our First Lady, the one who had youngsters planting vegetable gardens at the White House. Mrs. Obama doesn't abuse food : she campaigns for healthy eating.

You do like to "pick at" some Americans. Bet Betty Ford ate an ocassional burger with fries, too. We all do, many of us occasionally.

I'd still like to have a Dodger Dog at  their stadium. They sell Braves roasted peanuts at my supermarket. Heck, I've been known to have a beer at a pro baseball or football game.

Story about Mrs. Obama having and liking a burger and fries didn't make any of the many news sources I've read here!!!

Childhood obesity has many causes. Sedentary life styles play a major role.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2011 - 11:26PM #5
jane2

Jul 13, 2011 -- 11:10PM, Erey wrote:

I take it differently.  Afterall, Ms. Obama's audience is the american public, not people starving in North Korea or Somalia who can't get food easily.  Her audience is increasingly large waist-banded american public. 

What she is saying is that you can be fit and have a commitment to eating and living healthy and still enjoy your favorite foods on occasion.  Be it burger and fries or Guiness Stout, you can still enjoy those things as long as you do it in moderation. 

Banner evening, Erey

You and I agree !!!! :)

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2011 - 1:18AM #6
solfeggio

Just giving my honest opinion, Jane.  I really do think that somebody in the public eye, as the president's wife is, shouldn't make such statements.

When you're a very public figure, you don't get to make uncaring, unthinking comments like that.

Judging by the comments in other Internet websites, though, nobody cared much one way or the other what she said, with the possible exception of the Guardian:

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamer... 

Maybe it just boils down to the fact that most Americans just don't care whether millions of anonymous men, women and children in the Indian subcontinent, Africa, Asia and other places around the world go hungry, as long as they get to have their fast food.

After all, something like 60% of the taxpayer dollar in the U.S. goes to the military, doesn't it?  That doesn't leave a heck of a lot leftover for health, education, and public welfare, let alone helping out other nations.

So, sorry, but I think that saying you wouldn't want to live a life in which you couldn't have your fast food was injudicious at best.  And people who go around promoting a supposedly 'healthy' lifestyle for kids shouldn't be chowing down on burgers and fries in public.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2011 - 1:28AM #7
solfeggio

Erey -

Just curious, but what do you consider to be 'moderation' in diet?  I once asked a doctor what eating something like, say, steak would be considered eating in modernation, and he said that it would be a piece of meat about the size of a deck of cards that you ate two or three times a week.

And that would not be fatty meat.  A burger (which is fatty meat) would be about that size, I suppose, but you would be eating it with the bun, of course, and maybe cheese or something else, which would increase the calories.  (Since I don't eat such foods, I'm just guessing, because I really know what this all entails.)

Then, if you're talking about moderate meat-eating, using the above definition, then you could eat burgers several times a week with no ill effects.  But this also means that you're not eating anymore than that as far as meat is concerned.  In other words, if you had the burger for lunch, then, strictly speaking, you're not allowed more meat the rest of that day. 

But, I seriously doubt that anybody who had the burger for lunch skips the steak or the pork chops or whatever for supper.  And some people have either a burger or a luncheon meat sandwich or a restaurant meal of chicken or other meat almost every day for lunch, and then a regular Western style supper of meat, potatoes, and two veggies.

Which is why, in the real world, that phrase 'in moderation' is meaningless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2011 - 8:29AM #8
REteach

A burger and fries are not a problem--in moderation.  Try this quiz.  I have heard nutritionists say over and over again--there are no bad foods.  There are only bad amounts of them.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2011 - 8:34AM #9
IreneAdler

Jul 13, 2011 -- 11:10PM, Erey wrote:

Thank you!

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2011 - 8:42AM #10
IreneAdler

Jul 14, 2011 -- 1:28AM, solfeggio wrote:

Erey -

Just curious, but what do you consider to be 'moderation' in diet?  I once asked a doctor what eating something like, say, steak would be considered eating in modernation, and he said that it would be a piece of meat about the size of a deck of cards that you ate two or three times a week.

And that would not be fatty meat.  A burger (which is fatty meat) would be about that size, I suppose, but you would be eating it with the bun, of course, and maybe cheese or something else, which would increase the calories.  (Since I don't eat such foods, I'm just guessing, because I really know what this all entails.)

Then, if you're talking about moderate meat-eating, using the above definition, then you could eat burgers several times a week with no ill effects.  But this also means that you're not eating anymore than that as far as meat is concerned.  In other words, if you had the burger for lunch, then, strictly speaking, you're not allowed more meat the rest of that day. 

But, I seriously doubt that anybody who had the burger for lunch skips the steak or the pork chops or whatever for supper.  And some people have either a burger or a luncheon meat sandwich or a restaurant meal of chicken or other meat almost every day for lunch, and then a regular Western style supper of meat, potatoes, and two veggies.

Which is why, in the real world, that phrase 'in moderation' is meaningless.

Please note from article that Mrs. Obama consumed one meal:

From article:

The Washington Post reports the first lady stepped out of the role as
Healthy Eater in Chief and into a storm of publicity by downing a hamburger the
newly opened Shake Shack diner in Washington on Monday.

There she consumed a meal that equalled about 1500 calories or more, USA
Today gasped - "the amount some women should eat for the entire day". The
burger joint's website puts it at 1556 calories.

Your diatribe regarding moderation is entirely superfluous.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 17  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook