Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ban children in restaurants
2 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 11:10AM #31
fredetish

Sep 30, 2011 -- 12:38AM, jesusfreakgal wrote:

I can't say I am all for it, or not. It totally depends on the restaurant. Definitely having that rule for an upscale place night be good. I do think sometimes though that sometimes people who go to restaurants end up making a significant complaint about a child/ children in the restaurant that, although they might be misbehaving, music documentary and concert film reviews aren't actually being very loud, and/ or whose bad behaviour was VERY short lived. I do believe there are some people who really do not like children, and the littlest 'bad' peep out of them could really bother some of such people. You can get people who dislike children to the point that they can't see why a mother/ father would ever take their children shopping with them (even sometimes including the idea of shopping for that child) since that child (in their opinion) probably would end up having some sort of tamtrum. People like that often forget that not everyone can afford a babysitter, or have someone who can look after their children every time they go shopping. And often that shopping being done is NECESSARY shopping (groceries/ toiletries). We shouldn't expect parents to just 'shut their children away at home' until a certain age (only allowing them out for school), but I also don't think people should be 'forcing' their kids on others (in the sense of expecting to take kids almost anywhere THEY want, without regards for others).

JFG

Agreed...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 2:52PM #32
jesusfreakgal

Mlyons619,

I only somewhat agree. Although this is definitely NOT one of those fancy expensive restaurants, I do remember one ocassion after church (when I lived in Toronto), a group of us, including the pastor and his 5 children (his oldest being no more then 11 at the time) went to an indian buffet for lunch. Indian food can be considered exotic, but the children all seemed to enjoy it. Sometimes there are restaurants that are middle of the road, or are borderline as being child appropriate and not child appropriate. I also do believe that there are some parents out there who have no problem with bringing their children just about anywhere without regard for the kind of place it is, how a child might behave/ respond to the particular environment, or it children are really permitted or not. Some of those people might even 'snub' events or places that do not allow children as well.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 2:28AM #33
jeznadel

Aug 28, 2011 -- 5:18PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Aug 27, 2011 -- 4:48PM, pagan_princess wrote:

Aug 27, 2011 -- 3:01PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

A new bureaucracy to give out this rating?

Read what I wrote.  The RESTAURANTS would label themselves.  They know who their target customers are much better than someone driving by.

They usually do  on their own.  Certain folks don't read signs.

Aug 27, 2011 -- 4:48PM, pagan_princess wrote:

Aug 27, 2011 -- 3:01PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

I think most people ought to be able to figure out what restaurants are kids-friendly which one's aren't.

If that were true then we would not have this thread, would we?

If someone is unable to figure it out (e.g., coat and tie required) then that person is an imbecile.

For my point of view it depends on what type of restaurant you want to go in. What if happen that your whole family went for a travel holiday trip for example in London restaurant, It cannot be that you and your wife is eating inside the restaurant while your children is waiting outside and eating different foods. I agree that children is not allowed in the restaurant if the restaurant have some sort of scene which is not suitable to the children.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2012 - 7:29AM #34
jesusfreakgal

jeznadel,

I don't quite completely understand what you were trying to say in your last post.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 1:36AM #35
Cooper
It's the parents who worry me.  A few times I've had to say something, the parents were rude and abrasive.  No surprise.   What really was surprising was the restaurant employees.  No support.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 9:01AM #36
shmuelgoldstein

Jul 12, 2011 -- 9:27PM, jesusfreakgal wrote:

What do you think about the idea of banning children from restaurants (say children 6 and under or 12 and under)? 

I find it patently ridiculous and quite offensive.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2012 - 8:48AM #37
JRT

If there is a problem with children in a restaurant it is usually one the failure of the parents to control their behaviour. I remember one incident a year ago. I was in a restaurant seated close to a young couple with a boy of about four. He was allowed to run wild between the tables. I was debating speaking to the couple when I saw the boy move a chair over to a wall and climb up on it. He had his hand on the fire alarm when I shouted "Don't!!!" He started to cry and the father got quite angry with me. I replied "If I had not stopped him you would have to explain a false alarm to the fire marshall and quite possibly have to pay a fine." At that point the manager asked them to leave.

the floggings will continue until morale improves
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2012 - 3:59PM #38
Mlyons619

It is, in fact, the right of the manager to refuse service to parents that allow their children to disrupt the restaurant's atmosphere, whether it be an Anthony's or a KFC.

By logical extension, if a restaurant advertises an atmoshere to its clientele that children in all likelyhood would not enjoy, then doesn't that owner have the right to exclude small children and therefore avoid the risk of bratty children spoiling the atmosphere that clients pay for?

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2012 - 7:30PM #39
klm

Unfortunately many parents today, for some reason, don't think their children are a bother.  Many aare  completely self absorbed.   Its rude to not remove your child from a situation in which they are causing a commotion.  But many won't and therefore the ban in some places.  I thinks its ok.  I left my kids with a sitter when they were younger.    My husband and I didn't get out that often.   I wanted some pease and quiet one night a month and I think many other patrons feel the same.  Why would anyone be so upset over this ban.   Your kids probably would rather go to a place that caters to familys anyway.    get over it!    We have so many whiners in this country today.  

Maybe if parents weren't so afraid of punishing their kids when they needed it we wouldn't have so many misbehaving.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2012 - 6:15PM #40
klm

Jul 12, 2011 -- 9:27PM, jesusfreakgal wrote:

What do you think about the idea of banning children from restaurants (say children 6 and under or 12 and under)? Aparently a restaurant in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, they did ban all children 6 and under because of the number of complaints of crying children and neighbouring tables. Here is the article: shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/restau...
Here is my proble,- what if a family with ids 6 or under frequented this restaurant about once a month, whose children never caused a fuss or made excessive noise while at the restaurant? My response might be to politely to say- 'fine then, we won't be returning to your restaurant' and then never go back. I get that it can be annoying to go to a restaurant only to have a baby/ young child scream/ cry loudly the entire time you are trying to enjoy a nice quiet meal. But I also don't think its fair to essentially say 'unless you are going to a restaurant specifically for children (such as mcdonalds or chuck-e- cheese), stay home.' But that is just not right IMO.
JFG

check out anderson cooper on youtube.    a women snapped a picture of a kid on a potty inn a restaurant.    The amassing part no one said anything.     Me with my big mouth would have marched right over to management and complained.    Who wants to eat out and see that next to you.     And people wonder why kids are banned in some resaurants.    Ignorant, selfish parents!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook