Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ban children in restaurants
3 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2011 - 9:27PM #1
jesusfreakgal
What do you think about the idea of banning children from restaurants (say children 6 and under or 12 and under)? Aparently a restaurant in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, they did ban all children 6 and under because of the number of complaints of crying children and neighbouring tables. Here is the article: shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/restau...
Here is my proble,- what if a family with ids 6 or under frequented this restaurant about once a month, whose children never caused a fuss or made excessive noise while at the restaurant? My response might be to politely to say- 'fine then, we won't be returning to your restaurant' and then never go back. I get that it can be annoying to go to a restaurant only to have a baby/ young child scream/ cry loudly the entire time you are trying to enjoy a nice quiet meal. But I also don't think its fair to essentially say 'unless you are going to a restaurant specifically for children (such as mcdonalds or chuck-e- cheese), stay home.' But that is just not right IMO.
JFG
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2011 - 1:30AM #2
Mlyons619

Restaurants have the right to refuse service.

That said, I was raised in such a way that I COULD be taken to a nice restaurant.

Also, parents with squawliing, pooping lil babies should remember why babysitters are for hire.

Remember, most patrons go to a nice restaurant for the atmosphere, and there's nothing that spoils the atmosphere worse than a loud, squawling, puking, stinky baby.

Lest anybody accuse me of being anti-parent or anti-child, I am the father of four and a teacher.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2011 - 10:09PM #3
Mlyons619

It's not just restaurants.

It's also airlines, theatres, even hi-end malls and speciality stores.

Why?

...When did kids become the equivalent of second-hand smoke? Blame a wave of childless adults with money to spare....Empty nesters continue to wield a huge swath of discretionary spending dollars, and population dips in first-world countries mean more childless couples than ever...Catering to the child-free community may be good for business but is it good for parents? It could help narrow choices and make kid-friendly environments even kid-friendlier.  And let's be honest, babies won't miss flying first class. They won't even remember it. But their moms and dads will...

Source:  Parenting, Tuesday, July 26, 2011

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2011 - 4:24AM #4
Bob_the_Lunatic

I think it's just fine.  This is an issue of consideration.  Many people are inconsiderate.  Just as to many people, taking a cell phone call in the middle of a private dinner is "rude".  I have children, and I consider those around me when we are in public.  If a big fuss is being made-we take it outside, we don't have to be asked.  My children don't throw tantrums-tantrums never were successful. 

These days manners are pretty much gone in society... so rules like this are not surprising nor irrational or inappropriate.  I've even seen women CHANGE a poopy diaper ON THE TABLE in restaurants.  If people wish to behave like animals-they should be treated like animals-animals don't belong in restaurants.  I'm all for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2011 - 2:02AM #5
ManzanitaBear

I think it's a civil rights violation. Banning children just because they're children is age discrimination. Think about it. Unless the restaurant is actually a bar, they can't ban anyone because of age.

That doesn't mean restaurants don't have the right to kick people out if they change a baby on the table, or if the children create a real disturbance and the parents do nothing about it. That falls under the right to refuse service.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2011 - 3:41PM #6
Mlyons619

Again, certain fine restaurants are NOT Mickey D's and small children ruin the atmosphere.

Not allowing small children in certain restaurants might be the equivalent of "No tie no service."

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 9:10AM #7
pagan_princess

I think it depends on the restaurant entirely.  Maybe there should be a scale and restaurants need to tell people where they are on that scale.  So you could look at it and think, "Oh, I don't want to spend our anniversary there and take a chance of misbehaving children ruining it." Or when you had your little ones in tow you could go to a restaurant where you knew they would be welcome.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 3:01PM #8
Mlyons619

A new bureaucracy to give out this rating?

I think most people ought to be able to figure out what restaurants are kids-friendly which one's aren't.

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 4:48PM #9
pagan_princess

Aug 27, 2011 -- 3:01PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Read what I wrote.  The RESTAURANTS would label themselves.  They know who their target customers are much better than someone driving by.

I think most people ought to be able to figure out what restaurants are kids-friendly which one's aren't.

If that were true then we would not have this thread, would we?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2011 - 5:18PM #10
Mlyons619

Aug 27, 2011 -- 4:48PM, pagan_princess wrote:

Read what I wrote.  The RESTAURANTS would label themselves.  They know who their target customers are much better than someone driving by.

They usually do  on their own.  Certain folks don't read signs.

Aug 27, 2011 -- 4:48PM, pagan_princess wrote:

If that were true then we would not have this thread, would we?

If someone is unable to figure it out (e.g., coat and tie required) then that person is an imbecile.

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook