Page 25 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next
Switch to Forum Live View French fries and burgers are bad, but walnuts and yogurt are good
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 9:18AM #241
IreneAdler

Oh, what they do with pecans is nothing short of heaven!

For plain eating, I fancy the Marcona almonds:

www.nutsonline.com/nuts/almonds/marcona-...

These are a treat!  Trader Joe's sells these with the skins on, which imparts a mild smoky flavor.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 10:28AM #242
IDBC

I like all kinds of nuts. I have no allegric reactions to any of them.  My favorite nut is pistachio nuts.  I can never it just one.  As for cheeses my favorites are the blue cheeses.   I also love olives of all kinds.  They are all yummy.   

Bleu cheese, a variety of different olives and red wine is nirvana!

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 5:53PM #243
CharikIeia

Jul 8, 2011 -- 10:28AM, IDBC wrote:

Bleu cheese, a variety of different olives and red wine is nirvana!

That's right :-) See, we can agree on some things...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 12:09AM #244
Heretic_for_Christ

Jul 8, 2011 -- 2:42AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Mmmmmmmm...pecan pie!  Or those oooey-gooey pecan rolls that are basically pecan pie in bun form--and if you don't struggle to get your jaw apart after that first bite, those aren't as gooey as they should be.  Drooling about too-sugary baked goods aside, I think a fine lunch combo is a simple homemade veggie soup with about an ounce of nuts on the side. Toss whatever chopped veggies please you into simmering water and cook until just past crunchy, and you've a light and nourishing meal, sez me.

Now that is one excellent meal idea -- simple, tasty, healthy.

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 12:11AM #245
mainecaptain

Jul 7, 2011 -- 9:21AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I beg to contradict MaineC. You are a survivor and not merely recovering, right?  Hangin' on and in there with ya, my friend,  Dot

I am most certainly surviving. In pretty good place right now. Thank you my dear friend ((Dot))))

You better be hangin in there with me :))

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 12:33AM #246
Zulaika

I have the dubious benefit of being allergic to high fructose corn syrup, which is one of if not THE main ingredient in processed or sweetened foods (I also have issues with wheat, which is also in bloody everything, and am lactose intolerant. Shopping in America is fun!). When you actually start looking at the ingredients of foods out of necessity, the fact that over half of it doesn't even sound like food is an unpleasant revelation.

What I want to know, is why eating healthy is made harder by the fact that everything non processed is so bleeding expensive?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 4:56AM #247
DotNotInOz
The best encouragement for eating more healthfully is to learn which herbs and spices best enhance what foods. There's a fantastic cook's reference called The Flavor Bible which lists seasonings that enhance the flavor of various commonly eaten foods. It lists both often-used seasonings such as sage with poultry but also unusual ones to try.

A vital resource to add interest and variety if you're trying to lose weight, must reduce salt intake or are new to vegetarianism, IMO.

It's as addictive a read as the dictionary if you're a foodie bookaholic like me!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 11:48AM #248
Ebon

Jul 9, 2011 -- 12:33AM, Zulaika wrote:

I have the dubious benefit of being allergic to high fructose corn syrup, which is one of if not THE main ingredient in processed or sweetened foods (I also have issues with wheat, which is also in bloody everything, and am lactose intolerant. Shopping in America is fun!). When you actually start looking at the ingredients of foods out of necessity, the fact that over half of it doesn't even sound like food is an unpleasant revelation.

Cripes! I really don't envy you havign to shop with those problems in mind.

What I want to know, is why eating healthy is made harder by the fact that everything non processed is so bleeding expensive?

Because the food industry operates by a philosophy of stack-em-high, sell-em-cheap.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2011 - 10:53AM #249
DotNotInOz
Also, most processed foods are loaded with preservatives which renders them "fresh" for longer than items like produce. Such can be put on shelves with far less store maintenance than raw foodstuffs. That reduces stores' costs if employees needn't oversee all those cans, boxes, bags and cartons as frequently as they must the fresh things.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2011 - 11:22AM #250
farragut

I relish those preservatives, Dot. They've preserved me well thru the first 16 years of retirement from the telephone company, and I look forward to a couple dozen more.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 25 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook