Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 24 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next
Switch to Forum Live View French fries and burgers are bad, but walnuts and yogurt are good
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 12:05PM #231
DotNotInOz
I think I've a mild allergy to something in walnuts. Every time I eat any variety of them, I get a lingering metallic aftertaste and sore mouth.

Besides, I'll take pecans or almonds over walnuts any day...or macadamias. YUM!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 12:13PM #232
DotNotInOz
As both Heretic and Christianlib rightly point out, it's crucial to read the study abstract rather than media reports of these study results.

Most reporters don't appear to realize (or don't care) that most such studies have simply found an apparent intriguing relationship that would require far more limiting studies to verify--or reject.

Even when you read a study abstract, it's important to read it carefully to be sure you've found the summation and understand how it is rightly interpreted. That is oftentimes not a simple matter.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 6:22PM #233
solfeggio

Heretic is, of course, correct to point out that we can't always trust reports published in newspapers or online, but that doesn't mean that everything they print is necessarily wrong.  For example, I don't think anybody could question the fact that walnuts are good for us.

As reported in this WebMD website, citing the Journal of Nutrition, walnuts contain an omega-3 fatty acid similar to what is found in fish which we know can improve cholesterol levels:

www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/2004111...

I looked up the Journal of Nutrition and it certainly appears to be a scholarly publication.

Following up on the suggestion that green tea might be a better choice in lowering the risk of prostate cancer, I checked the Journal of Nutrition site to see what they had to say about this:

jn.nutrition.org/content/133/7/2417S.sho...

The conclusion is that six cups of green tea 'significantly inhibits PCa (prostate cancer) development and metastasis....' 

As well, there is some evidence to show that green tea 'may contribute to a reduction in the risk of cardiovascular disease and some forms of cancer':

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16582024

In another study, the Journal of Nutrition reports that the antioxidants in coffee, wine and vegetables reduce the risk of degenerative diseases.  And the piece concludes: 'Surprisingly, the single greatest contributor to the total antioxidant intake was coffee.'

jn.nutrition.org/content/134/3/562.short

In yet another study reported in the Journal of Nutrition, and a report from the National Cancer Institute, the conclusion was that 'there is a strong inverse association between coffee consumption and the risk of lethal prostate cancer.'

Similar results were reported in the Yale Medical Group website.

www.yalemedicalgroup.org/stw/Page.asp?Pa...

But, of course, these studies do only show an association between coffee drinking and prostate cancer, and there would have to be more research to show a positive correlation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 6:26PM #234
jane2

I'd rather have pecans, too and we grow them here in GA. Walnuts are a forgotten species for me.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 6:38PM #235
solfeggio

Oh, pecans: yes, yes, yes.  I love them.  I can see where most people might not fancy a handful of raw walnuts as a snack.  They're OK, but roasted almonds are much tastier, as are salted peanuts, Brazil nuts, and cashews. 

However, instead of thinking of walnuts as a snack in themselves, I use them in baked goods like banana-walnut muffins, or fruitcake, for example.  There are all sorts of recipes in which ground-up walnuts really add a lot of flavour.

I have a recipe for cookies that uses finely-ground almonds, too, as part of the flour.  This makes a very good cooky indeed, and when you're eating them you can tell yourself that you are eating something that is not only tasty but good for you.

The association between humans and nuts goes 'way back, probably because nuts are edible in the raw state.  One thing about us humans is that we like foods that are convenient, which I would imagine is why bananas are so popular.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 6:55PM #236
DotNotInOz
I'm casting my nut-favoring vote for flourless chocolate cake which is typically made from a combination of finely ground nuts.

Now, that would be the most decadent form of eating nuts.

As for eating nuts directly, I prefer most organic and raw. Far tastier, IMO.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 7:56PM #237
jane2

Jul 7, 2011 -- 6:38PM, solfeggio wrote:

Oh, pecans: yes, yes, yes.  I love them.  I can see where most people might not fancy a handful of raw walnuts as a snack.  They're OK, but roasted almonds are much tastier, as are salted peanuts, Brazil nuts, and cashews. 

However, instead of thinking of walnuts as a snack in themselves, I use them in baked goods like banana-walnut muffins, or fruitcake, for example.  There are all sorts of recipes in which ground-up walnuts really add a lot of flavour.

I have a recipe for cookies that uses finely-ground almonds, too, as part of the flour.  This makes a very good cooky indeed, and when you're eating them you can tell yourself that you are eating something that is not only tasty but good for you.

The association between humans and nuts goes 'way back, probably because nuts are edible in the raw state.  One thing about us humans is that we like foods that are convenient, which I would imagine is why bananas are so popular.

For pure joy my fave is the occasional piece of GA Pecan Pie--indulgence of the gods. I still have a recipe from the grandmother of one of my daughter's high school beaus. One of the best was by the bakery of Richs, THE Atlanta department store for over a century.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 8:55PM #238
farragut

I, too, enjoy pecans. One of my favorite holiday concoctions is a praline pumpkin pie.

If you visit, I will bake.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 2:05AM #239
CharikIeia

Jul 7, 2011 -- 6:26PM, jane2 wrote:

Walnuts are a forgotten species for me.

They're best in soft French cheese, I think (Rambol Noix)... their bitterness requires delicate handling. You may need to peel off the bitter skin or take out some of the bitterness with water vapour, which is quite labour intensive. Pecans are easier to handle, and less heavy / more tasty, I agree.

DotNot, farragut, solfeggio - thanks for telling about your favourites! This kind of exchange is so much more productive & positive than the eternal drag-down politics...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 2:42AM #240
DotNotInOz
Mmmmmmmm...pecan pie!

Or those oooey-gooey pecan rolls that are basically pecan pie in bun form--and if you don't struggle to get your jaw apart after that first bite, those aren't as gooey as they should be.

Drooling about too-sugary baked goods aside, I think a fine lunch combo is a simple homemade veggie soup with about an ounce of nuts on the side. Toss whatever chopped veggies please you into simmering water and cook until just past crunchy, and you've a light and nourishing meal, sez me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 24 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook