Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 23 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next
Switch to Forum Live View French fries and burgers are bad, but walnuts and yogurt are good
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 7:34AM #221
Ebon

Jul 7, 2011 -- 5:52AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I'll gladly consume your share of blueberries, Ebon, if you'd like mine of walnuts. Only way I like anything walnut is in furniture!

Works for me, I'm very much a fan of any kind of nuts. Kat even made me pecan & maple syrup cake for my birthday.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 7:56AM #222
piecesofthewhole

Mainecaptain,

Please know that I'm thinking about you and wishing you well also.

and it's nice to see we're all friends again.  :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 8:25AM #223
Heretic_for_Christ

Friends,

You cannot trust newspaper versions of medical reports. The coffee-prevents-prostate-cancer story is illustrative. If you look at the actual reports instead of the fish-wrap press versions of those reports, here is what you find:

A meta-analysis showing no increased risk of prostate cancer associated with coffee consumption:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20590551

An epidemiological study showing that, among men who consume at least 6 cups of coffee (regular or decaf) per day compared with those who consume no coffee, the risk of the most lethal forms of prostate cancer is reduced significantly and the overall risk of prostate cancer of any type is reduced only marginally. But two caveats: (1) These are correlations, and correlation does not equal causation--i.e., there could be some unreported factor(s) associated with both coffee consumption and prostate cancer risk, which could be the actual determinant of cancer risk. (2) The risk of prostate cancer increases with age, irrespective of coffee consumption. So in this study of almost 48,000 men followed for 20 years, the age-adjusted incidence rates for heavy consumption versus no consumption of coffee were 425 versus 519 cases of prostate cancer of any type, and 34 versus 79 cases of lethal prostate cancer (all rates are per 100,000 person-years). Bottom-line: heavy coffee consumption may reduce the risk of lethal forms of prostate cancer compared with non-consumption, but a causative relationship must be established where now there is only a correlative relationship.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21586702

And it may be that tea (especially green tea) is more beneficial in this regard than coffee.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18985656

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 8:33AM #224
Heretic_for_Christ

Jul 6, 2011 -- 11:10PM, Abner1 wrote:

Heretic for Christ wrote:

> WIth respect, Abner, I think you have oversimplified the health issue.

With respect, Heretic, I think you meant to address this to IDBC, not me.  He's the one who wrote the post you just responded to.  :)

My apologies, Abner. You are quite correct, of course: I was responding to a posting from IDBC.

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 9:09AM #225
Abner1

Heretic for Christ wrote:

> My apologies, Abner. You are quite correct, of course: I was responding to a

> posting from IDBC.

Not a problem - I've gotten confused over who wrote what myself on occasion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 9:21AM #226
DotNotInOz
I beg to contradict MaineC. You are a survivor and not merely recovering, right?

Hangin' on and in there with ya, my friend,
Dot
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 11:16AM #227
Girlchristian

Jul 7, 2011 -- 12:29AM, solfeggio wrote:

OK, so now we have covered the subject of what foods are bad for us.  How about switching to the other part of the original article, which was about what is good for us? 

Here are a few links to fairly recent online pieces detailing the health benefits of several foods.

Let's start with coffee.  A recent study has shown that men who are big coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of developing prostate cancer:

health.usnews.com/health-news/family-hea...

jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/20...

I LOVE coffee, but it's the main trigger for my bladder condition and takes my daily pain level from a 4/5 to a 10 very quickly. I had to give it up two years ago. :-(

And then there are walnuts, which are incredibly healthy for us:

www.upi.com/Health_News/2011/03/28/7-wal...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12865291

I'm weird, I'm sure, but I don't really like walnuts. I eat almonds, but just can't do walnuts.

Did you know that blueberries are one of nature's 'health' foods, too?

www.huffingtonpost.com/leo-galland-md/bl...

www.lsuagcenter.com/news_archive/2011/ju...

I have blueberries in my yogurt almost every morning!!

And, finally, tomatoes, which are also very good for us in so many ways:

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/11...

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/11...

I love tomatoes as well. One of my favorite "meals" is grilled tomatoes with a little basil and cheese melted on top!

The great thing about all these foods is that they not only taste delicious, but they are good for us, too.  And there are plenty more where they came from.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 11:23AM #228
Christianlib

Jul 7, 2011 -- 8:25AM, Heretic_for_Christ wrote:

Friends,

You cannot trust newspaper versions of medical reports. The coffee-prevents-prostate-cancer story is illustrative. If you look at the actual reports instead of the fish-wrap press versions of those reports, here is what you find:

A meta-analysis showing no increased risk of prostate cancer associated with coffee consumption:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20590551

An epidemiological study showing that, among men who consume at least 6 cups of coffee (regular or decaf) per day compared with those who consume no coffee, the risk of the most lethal forms of prostate cancer is reduced significantly and the overall risk of prostate cancer of any type is reduced only marginally. But two caveats: (1) These are correlations, and correlation does not equal causation--i.e., there could be some unreported factor(s) associated with both coffee consumption and prostate cancer risk, which could be the actual determinant of cancer risk. (2) The risk of prostate cancer increases with age, irrespective of coffee consumption. So in this study of almost 48,000 men followed for 20 years, the age-adjusted incidence rates for heavy consumption versus no consumption of coffee were 425 versus 519 cases of prostate cancer of any type, and 34 versus 79 cases of lethal prostate cancer (all rates are per 100,000 person-years). Bottom-line: heavy coffee consumption may reduce the risk of lethal forms of prostate cancer compared with non-consumption, but a causative relationship must be established where now there is only a correlative relationship.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21586702

And it may be that tea (especially green tea) is more beneficial in this regard than coffee.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18985656

Dr. Ben Goldacre, in his regular column for the "Guardian" in England, and in several books, exposes the Bad Science behind many sensationalized claims such as this, and talks about how overeager journalists, and money-making interests, perpetrate such erroneous conclusions onto the public.  Both his columns and his books are titled: "Bad Science."  Get a book from your library, it will open your eyes.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 11:26AM #229
IreneAdler

Okay, a word about the walnuts.

I too, am not fond of them.  Very much enjoy other nuts-eat them daily.  Just not walnuts.

Thought I was alone with this one.  Never could understand the allure of chocolate chip cookies with walnuts or Waldorf salad or really anything folks raved about being so delicious because walnuts were added.

I recall an early memory (like age 3 or 4) of being offered some cookies with walnuts in them. My mother said not to take one as it would spoil my dinner.  The host kept pushing for me to take one. He insisted - he jokingly said 'not to mind my mother'. He was an older gentleman -retired- and was doing the faux grandpa thing. Only on this occasion I was all too happy to mind my mother.  No walnuts for me-thank you! 

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 11:28AM #230
Christianlib

AND there is a great difference in the flavor of "English" walnuts, and the native American Black Walnut.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 23 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook