Page 1 of 26  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next
Switch to Forum Live View French fries and burgers are bad, but walnuts and yogurt are good
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 12:24AM #1
solfeggio
A new Harvard study has concluded that certain foods can lead to weight gain over the years, whilst other can help us hold the line.  The study involved collecting dietary data from 120,000 middle-aged Americans over a period of twenty years:

www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-s...

www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014...   

The study showed that we should definitely be cutting back on the potatoes, and sweetened beverages and processed meats aren't so great, either.

But nuts, and yogurt, which you'd have thought would be fattening, actually help people to avoid gaining weight.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 3:49AM #2
Roodog

Jun 25, 2011 -- 12:24AM, solfeggio wrote:

A new Harvard study has concluded that certain foods can lead to weight gain over the years, whilst other can help us hold the line.  The study involved collecting dietary data from 120,000 middle-aged Americans over a period of twenty years:

www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014...   

The study showed that we should definitely be cutting back on the potatoes, and sweetened beverages and processed meats aren't so great, either.

But nuts, and yogurt, which you'd have thought would be fattening, actually help people to avoid gaining weight.  

No,

Burgers and fries not only are good, they're delicious!

You can have the damned yoghurt.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 2:36PM #3
Erey

yogurt and walnuts is a snack or maybe a light breakfast

Burger and fries is a meal

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 3:05PM #4
Estacia

Burgers and fries are defintantly good!. It's when you over indulge in any food THAT IS BAD!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 4:22PM #5
jane2

Jun 25, 2011 -- 3:05PM, Estacia wrote:

Burgers and fries are defintantly good!. It's when you over indulge in any food THAT IS BAD!

Amen..........................................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 6:25PM #6
DotNotInOz
I wouldn't have to flip a coin to decide which I'd be less likely to overeat.

Nuts and yogurt---EEEEWWWWW!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 6:46PM #7
solfeggio

Well, there you have it:

Taste overrides health every time.

Happy heart attacks, everybody.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 6:54PM #8
Ebon

Think this comes from the Institute for Slowly and Painstakingly Working Out The Bloody Obvious. Burgers and fries should be a treat, not something you eat every day. I am surprised that yogurt is considered a good food though.

One question: Does coffee with one sugar count as "sweetened"? I've tried to cut it out but I've never found an artificial sweetner that tasted right and unsweetened coffee is just too bitter.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 7:00PM #9
MMarcoe

This study used frequent eating as its baseline. In some cases, daily eating of certain foods, like potato chips.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 7:45PM #10
solfeggio

Considering that by all reports Americans are porking out alarmingly these days and, if, for example, those people seen on American reality TV and other types of programmes showing regular people are any indication, every other Yank weighs something like 300 lbs.

Therefore, when Harvard U. goes to the trouble to do a study on just what is making American so bloody fat, I should think people would at least want to know something about their conclusions.

Sure, burgers and fries are fattening, as are sweet desserts and other sugary treats.  Anything that is high glycemic is fattening and probably not good for us into the bargain.

And, as the study pointed out, just saying that you'll eat these things 'in moderation' isn't going to do the trick.  You have to eliminate them.  Period.

Why do people act as if not eating burgers anymore, or indulging in potato chips is such a big friggin' deal?  It's not as if we pampered buggers who live in the industrialised West don't have a huge selection of healthy foods with which to indulge ourselves.

Geeze.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 26  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook