Post Reply
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Michelle Obama Unveils "MyPlate", Replacing Food Pyramid.
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 1:54PM #1
Ebon
Posts: 10,148
From the NYT (link below):

The first lady, Michelle Obama,  on Thursday relegated the government’s well-known food pyramid to the  sands of history, unveiling a new, simpler image of a plate divided into  basic food groups.

The new design, called MyPlate, was conceived as a crucial part of Mrs. Obama’s campaign against obesity, by reminding consumers about the basics of a healthy diet.

The plate is split into four sections, for fruit, vegetables, grains and  protein. A smaller circle sits beside it for dairy.




www.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/business/03pl...

I rather like the new design. It's a lot clearer and easier to understand than the old pyramid and, with obesity a problem in both our countries, a high-profile drive for better diet should be a welcome idea. My one problem is that quite a lot of foods fit into more than one category (for example, some vegatables are also sources of protein).

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 2:16PM #2
Girlchristian
Posts: 11,573

Jun 2, 2011 -- 1:54PM, Ebon wrote:

From the NYT (link below):

The first lady, Michelle Obama, on Thursday relegated the government’s well-known food pyramid to the sands of history, unveiling a new, simpler image of a plate divided into basic food groups.

The new design, called MyPlate, was conceived as a crucial part of Mrs. Obama’s campaign against obesity, by reminding consumers about the basics of a healthy diet.

The plate is split into four sections, for fruit, vegetables, grains and protein. A smaller circle sits beside it for dairy.




www.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/business/03pl...

I rather like the new design. It's a lot clearer and easier to understand than the old pyramid and, with obesity a problem in both our countries, a high-profile drive for better diet should be a welcome idea. My one problem is that quite a lot of foods fit into more than one category (for example, some vegatables are also sources of protein).




I like it too. Along with your concern, I echo the concern about the protein portion of the plate mentioned in the article:


She praised the plate for being generally easy to understand, but she said that labeling a large section of the plate “protein” was confusing and unnecessary, because grains and dairy also are important sources of protein and most Americans get far more protein than they need.



"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 2:23PM #3
Erey
Posts: 19,170

I think "the plate" is a fine idea.  However the real problem is not that people don't get enough of a food group. The real problem is that they eat too much of certain food groups. 


I would like to see where people are encouraged to size up their food.  Your piece of meat for the day should be about the size of a deck of cards for example.  Your serving of rice should be about the size of your closed fist.  Tricks like that to help people eat less.  If you want to treat yourself to some ice cream the serving size is half a cup (fist again).  More than that is more than a serving.  Often people are being served portions that are in reality two and three servings large. 


That is my 2 cents.  I think the plate idea is good for parents who are putting together meals. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 2:25PM #4
Ebon
Posts: 10,148

I quite like that idea but then, I have really big hands :)

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 2:28PM #5
Erey
Posts: 19,170

Jun 2, 2011 -- 2:25PM, Ebon wrote:


I quite like that idea but then, I have really big hands :)





Well if you have big hands  then you probably have a big frame and might need a slightly bigger serving.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 2:30PM #6
Ebon
Posts: 10,148

Jun 2, 2011 -- 2:28PM, Erey wrote:

Well if you have big hands  then you probably have a big frame and might need a slightly bigger serving.



I'm 6'1" and, at fight weight, about 240 so I imagine I'd probably need slightly more than average although less than I currently eat since I'm up to about 320 or so now.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 6:51PM #7
DotNotInOz
Posts: 6,833

I find it lots easier for myself to make sure there's at least an inch on all sides between each food on my plate when I'm using a dinner plate--and no building towers of food either!


If I want the visual illusion of a full plate, I use a dessert plate. Even crammed full, that size plate is enough smaller than a dinner plate that I'm eating a lot less.


I agree that a plate-chart makes visualizing what constitutes a balanced meal much easier. I never could readily translate that pyramid into what I ought to eat at each meal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 7:04PM #8
TemplarS
Posts: 6,926

The plate is split into four sections, for fruit, vegetables, grains and  protein.


 


I'm good:


Fruit: A nice glass of Cabernet


Vegetable: A Bloody Mary or two


Grain: Let's say an IPA, or maybe a good single malt Scotch


 


And a nice ribeye to go with it all...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 7:33PM #9
Girlchristian
Posts: 11,573

Jun 2, 2011 -- 6:51PM, DotNotInOz wrote:


I find it lots easier for myself to make sure there's at least an inch on all sides between each food on my plate when I'm using a dinner plate--and no building towers of food either!


If I want the visual illusion of a full plate, I use a dessert plate. Even crammed full, that size plate is enough smaller than a dinner plate that I'm eating a lot less.


I agree that a plate-chart makes visualizing what constitutes a balanced meal much easier. I never could readily translate that pyramid into what I ought to eat at each meal.




I use a small salad or dessert plate as well, it helps!

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 9:33PM #10
jane2
Posts: 14,295

Jun 2, 2011 -- 7:04PM, TemplarS wrote:


The plate is split into four sections, for fruit, vegetables, grains and  protein.


 


I'm good:


Fruit: A nice glass of Cabernet


Vegetable: A Bloody Mary or two


Grain: Let's say an IPA, or maybe a good single malt Scotch


 


And a nice ribeye to go with it all...




You are so baaad--I luv it.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook