Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 9:00AM #1
Karma_yeshe_dorje
My new home has a gas cooktop and oven. Yesterday I bought a whistling kettle to go on the cooktop.

Does anyone here have gas-cooking advice for a novice? 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2011 - 12:45AM #2
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I just attended a cooking class at a vegetarian cafe. The subject was curries and dhals.

I was impressed that a large pot was used for three processes. First spices were fried, in ghee or olive oil. Then chopped vegetables were boiled. The final process was steaming!

The food was very textured, and tasty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2011 - 6:52AM #3
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Today I visited kitchenware shops. I was stuck on the variety of pots! There were casseroles (with transparent lid, or cast iron). And then there were stock pots. And the prices varied dramatically!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 6:00AM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I have bought lots of ingredients. Today I visited an Asian grocer in the Chinatown district. There I got some unusual spices and pulse products.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 10:39AM #5
Silverada

Hi Karma, I see you are serious about becoming a cook.   I used to have a natural gas cooking stove, but having problem with  the gas tanks being replaced when emptied, I switch to electric stove. Gas is not different to electric, but you have to watch the flame.  To make the pot hot in the begining you have to have the flame hight, after you have the food boiling or frying or steaming then you have to have the flame at medium or slow, depending of the food you are cooking.  Vegetables need little cooking,  stirr them  for a few minutes with all the ingredients until cooked,  put them over already cooked rice and voila, you have a delicious dinner . Bon apetite.

I´ll get some good vegetable recipes for you later if you wish.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 4:17PM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Hi Silverada:

I'm delighted that at last someone replied here! Have a look also at the Home Spirituality forum. There I have shown photos of my new house. They're in the "New house" thread.

I would like to get seriously stuck into cooking. Last night at my gun club, I got a respite with spaghetti Bolognese served there! I am not used to cooking pasta.

I really need more inspiration. And especially I would appreciate explanation of techniques (methods). In particular (having once been a scientist), I want to know why things are done a particular way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 6:49PM #7
Silverada

Hi again Karma, I´ll be happy to answer any question you need about cooking.  I have a question dough.  If you are a buddhist what are you doing at a gun club?

Regarding cooking vegetables remember not to overkooked them or it will loose the nutrients.  Hard vegetables should be cooked only for 5 minutes each side after water is boiling, soft vegy two or three three minutes each side. 

To cook pasta you need to boil the water first with salt to your taste and a little oil so the pasta don´t stick.  After water is boiling you put the pasta for 8 minutes boiling and stirr it once in a while so the pasta stay loose. Remember to boil the pasta at medium flame.  You need to have the pasta sauce ready so when you drain your pasta and put it on a plate you pour on top of it  the sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Bon apetite!.

It´s a pity you live in Autralia and I live at the other side of the world in a  caribbean Island , otherwise I´ll invite you for dinner.  I cooked today seafood with vegies with a lot of onion, tomato sauce basil, etc  with steamed integral rice. Deeleecious.........!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 7:04PM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje

G'day Silverada:

what are you doing at a gun club
Sometimes I run the range! 

Range Officer badge

Yesterday after shooting a good score, I played chess with two others.

Regarding cooking vegetables remember not to overkooked them
That had been a problem with the (electric) slow cooker overnight!

Hard vegetables should be cooked only for 5 minutes each side after water is boiling
I presume that you are talking about shallow boiling. Please explain the method.

a little oil so the pasta don´t stick.
I didn't know that oil was to be added.

you live in Autralia and I live at the other side of the world in a  caribbean Island
So we can exchange ideas!

I´ll invite you for dinner
I once received a packet of corn grits from a correspondent in the USA. I took three weeks to wrest it from Australian Quarantine! Yell

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 7:27PM #9
Silverada

You mean you are an enviroment guardian, or a green policeman? If that is so then you are forgiven for the gun, usually enviroment predators carry guns too. LOL

Sometimes I steamed the vegetables in a drainer with boling water at the botton.  Other times I stirr them in a wak, with spices and soy sauce, but ither way, they don´t need too much time.  You cook first the harder vegetables and add the softer vegies later.  Good luck with that.

Anywhere in the world the agriculture deparment of each country put anything that look like coming from a plant in quarentine, and some times they put them on the garbage depending of the product to be cremated.  From my country I wont send you anything, because it will get in Autralia perhaps at the end of this century, we don´t have here a good post office, unless we use american delivery package as Federal express.  Last year my sister send me from Miami, which is only two hour by plane, a birthday gift, and it took two month to arrive.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2011 - 1:37AM #10
Karma_yeshe_dorje

G'day Silverada:

I take it that shooting is not a sport with which you are familiar. How do you keep fit?

So you meant steaming the vegetables. That's something that I haven't done for a long time!

Anything posted to Australia, should be sent Airmail! I once got a Christmas present from the USA--in February. It had been sent surface mail.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook