Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The perils of fast food and coffee
7 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 5:14PM #11
costrel

Apr 3, 2011 -- 3:54PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

And you probably also know that Thoreau was something of a crank about various things.

Anyway, assuming that he adhered scrupulously to his own advice, doing so could well have contributed to his dying of tuberculosis, susceptibility to which we know today was brought about by the malnutrition of many 19th century folk.

Knowing as I do that while living his presumed hermit's existence at Walden Pond he walked the railroad tracks daily to lunch at his mother's house in Concord, I have my doubts that he was so virtuous as to drink only water consistently. If he didn't, such is the human condition, of course.

Accorinding to Emerson's eulogy of Thoreau, "he ate no flesh, he drank no wine, [and] he never knew the use of tobacco." The first one is certainly false (Thoreau claimed in Walden to have eaten, in addition to fish, a fried rat and a woodchuck), though he did write in the chapter "Higher Laws" from Walden that "[w]hatever my own practice may be, I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals," so he at least identified vegetarianism as either something that he should practice or something that would be practiced among later generations of Americans. Literary critic Harold Bloom also praises Thoreau for his temperance, noting, "Whether Thoreau's temperance is to be credited to the restraints of stoical philosophy or to plain good taste, it is a virtue to be thankful for" (Henry David Thoreau [New York: Infobase, 2008], page 56).

I think that sometimes, possibly because of the way that Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. (as well as Thoreau's friends Emerson and Harrison Blake) esteemed and lauded Thoreau, people have a tendency to see him as some hagiographical and thus idealistically-fictitious saint rather than an historical man who struggled with identifying and practicing his philosophical and moral ideas (and perhaps even, like Whitman, relishing in his contradictions).

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 9:24PM #12
writingal1

Dot--t even though I don't have a problem with gluten--I really appreciate your informative posts about the use of wheat in fast foods.

I will certainly pass the info on to people who do have problems with wheat.

BTW--understanding that coffee is not the best for me--and loving/craving things like Big Macs--over tgime I weaned myself off of Micky Ds completeky--and I now drink water with most meals and only sparingly drink coffee--usually to wake up with.

It can be done--IMO the trick is to do it slowly rather than cold turkey so your body adjusts to smaller and smaller doses of caffeine and the huge amounts of sugars etc in most of Micky Ds foods.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 10:32PM #13
Erey

Apr 3, 2011 -- 1:05AM, Ebon wrote:

I've never seen the attraction of coffee with fast food anyway. I mean, I love my coffee and drink collosal amounts of it but drinking hot drinks with fast food has always struck me as weird. I'd much rather have a Coke or Sprite.

I think if I read the OP correctly you would NOT want to drink Coke or anything with caffine in it with your fast food.  I guess a Sprite would be preferable. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 10:37PM #14
Erey

The whole wheat intolerance is something rather new.  I had first heard of it with one young woman i knew in college.  She was allergic to most foods it seemed and wheat was one of them.  Now I have a few friends who have real problems and celiac disease.  Also, I think my husband might have some issue with glutten.  If he can ever get to the doctor he might find out for sure.  I just have to wonder how we have such problems these days?  Maybe we were just unaware but it really just seems that all this crept up out of no where in the last few years. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 12:09AM #15
solfeggio

To answer Jane's comments about food discussions being of little importance in the great scheme of things -

1 - I happen to love to talk about food.

2 - Since we all have to eat, and we all (presumably) wish to eat as healthy as we can (within reason), I see no reason why people shouldn't talk about whatever scientific discovery relative to food and what we eat should not be discussed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 12:38AM #16
Heretic_for_Christ

Much ado about very little.

The major risk factor for type 2 diabetes is obesity, which creates a state of insulin resistance. If the prospect of type 2 diabetes scares you, correct or avoid obesity. The problem with stories like this, even if scientifically valid, is that they are clinically misleading. Such pronouncements invariably cause some people to think, "Oh! All I have to do is avoid drinking coffee when I eat deep-fried sugar twists..." In short, the caffeine connection is a relatively trivial point compared to the major lifestyle-related risks.

And since this thread has once again raised the ghost of What Did Primitive Man Eat? I will repeat what I have said before -- It doesn't matter what Ook the Caveman ate. Ook lived in an utterly different environment from how we live today. If you want to know how to eat healthy, forget about what this or that scholar has pronounced about Ook's diet; instead, look at current clinical and epidemiological research that provides clear evidence about dietary patterns and disease risk.

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 5:04AM #17
Yavanna

Apr 4, 2011 -- 12:09AM, solfeggio wrote:

To answer Jane's comments about food discussions being of little importance in the great scheme of things -

1 - I happen to love to talk about food.

2 - Since we all have to eat, and we all (presumably) wish to eat as healthy as we can (within reason), I see no reason why people shouldn't talk about whatever scientific discovery relative to food and what we eat should not be discussed.

Actually I think you love to talk about what you think shouldn't be food in the first place. ;)

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 6:18AM #18
DotNotInOz

Apr 3, 2011 -- 10:37PM, Erey wrote:

The whole wheat intolerance is something rather new.  I had first heard of it with one young woman i knew in college.  She was allergic to most foods it seemed and wheat was one of them.  Now I have a few friends who have real problems and celiac disease.  Also, I think my husband might have some issue with glutten.  If he can ever get to the doctor he might find out for sure.  I just have to wonder how we have such problems these days?  Maybe we were just unaware but it really just seems that all this crept up out of no where in the last few years. 

It is true, Erey, that wheat intolerance is fairly recently discovered. In fact, celiac disease is still misdiagnosed the vast majority of the time due to the fact that there aren't any consistently reliable blood tests and that it takes a particular sort of colonoscopy to determine intestinal damage to establish a definite diagnosis.

A lot of people who've gone gluten-free seem to be as I am--they just feel better and have fewer problems with respiratory congestion and digestion. I suspect that mine is a mild food allergy. I'd had digestive problems all my life, but they cleared up completely within a week of my going gluten and dairy free. Also, as long as I strictly avoid both wheat and dairy, I have very little to no sinus congestion. This time of year, I formerly would have been living on decongestants. 

You might do what I did, start cooking gluten-free and see how your hubby feels in a few weeks to a month. For some people, that's the only way to tell if going gluten-free will be helpful. It's a pain to do, especially when eating out, but it is doable with some practice. 

I suggest shopping a nearby health food store for a copy of Living Without magazine. It has really helpful lists in the back of each issue to guide you on what foods generally to avoid as well as having some great gluten-free recipes. Their product review section also provides helpful tips about new things to try. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 9:07AM #19
writingal1

Solf--hi.

You say--

"2 - Since we all have to eat, and we all (presumably) wish to eat as healthy as we can (within reason), I see no reason why people shouldn't talk about whatever scientific discovery relative to food and what we eat should not be discussed."

I do  not understand why people come and post on threads they don't approve of and don't care about.

I personally think that what we eat is important to our health--so I read your food threads and oftren comment on my own ideas and experiences.

And I like to read posts like Dot's which contain a great deal of info.

I am thankful for anyne who has something of value to contribute and who does take the time to pass along info.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 9:12AM #20
writingal1

Jane--lifestyle-related diseases like Type Two Diabetes. obesity and other disease conditions that can be controlled/eliminated by lifestyle changes are on the rise and mortally so in the US.

If YOU don't want the info--don't read the thread.

A lot of us are interested in improving our health and and in sharing info.

I do not understand why you would bother to post on a thread you do NOT care about and are not interested in. It has the ring of harrassment to it....

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook