Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cap'n Crunch Forced into Early Retirement
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 3:51PM #11
Yavanna

Mar 10, 2011 -- 3:37PM, Ironhold wrote:

There's been an update.

Based on the internet backdraft that came about, Quaker clarified their position on the matter.

The Cap'n is here to stay. 

Rather, they're shifting the marketing of the cereal so that it becomes a nostalgia brand for adults.

Ha! That's awesome. Good compromise.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 4:14PM #12
IreneAdler

RE: the update:

So does this mean ads for Cap'n Crunch will now be found in AARP Magazine?

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 4:55PM #13
Iwantamotto

Ironhold:  First, the Cookie Monster

*sigh*  That is a myth.  Yes, there was a big to-do about Cookie eating fruits and veggies, but if you look back on his life, he ate everything under the sun and would've eaten the sun too if given half the chance.  He still eats cookies.  All is still right with the world.  :P

Christianlib:  A good rule of thumb for healthier eating.  In the supermarket, never buy anything with a cartoon character on the package.

Healthfood junkies have caught on, at least a little.  That's why Elmo can be on a bottle of apple juice now.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 5:26PM #14
Yavanna

Mar 11, 2011 -- 4:55PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Ironhold:  First, the Cookie Monster

*sigh*  That is a myth.  Yes, there was a big to-do about Cookie eating fruits and veggies, but if you look back on his life, he ate everything under the sun and would've eaten the sun too if given half the chance.  He still eats cookies.  All is still right with the world.  :P

Christianlib:  A good rule of thumb for healthier eating.  In the supermarket, never buy anything with a cartoon character on the package.

Healthfood junkies have caught on, at least a little.  That's why Elmo can be on a bottle of apple juice now.

I don't know. Cookie Monster says cookies are a "sometimes food" now. When I was growing up, this was not so. Cookie Monster lied to me.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2011 - 8:54AM #15
Iwantamotto

I don't know Cookie Monster says cookies are a "sometimes food" now. When I was growing up, this was not so. Cookie Monster lied to me.

He's only saying that to avoid getting flamed by helicopter parents and the government.  He NEVER ate 100% cookies.  His first appearance was a computer commercial, IIRC, where he eats a computer.  I think it was IBM.  Cookies are his favorite food.  That will never change.  When Cake Boss and Top Chef had him on, he was made cookies.  He was given a HUGE one by Cake Boss.  Like I said, all is still right with the world.  He just flings out some PC words for the stupid who apparently never watched.  I don't see his diet changed all that much if you take all of his history into account.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2011 - 2:52PM #16
Yavanna

Mar 12, 2011 -- 8:54AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I don't know Cookie Monster says cookies are a "sometimes food" now. When I was growing up, this was not so. Cookie Monster lied to me.

He's only saying that to avoid getting flamed by helicopter parents and the government.  He NEVER ate 100% cookies.  His first appearance was a computer commercial, IIRC, where he eats a computer.  I think it was IBM.  Cookies are his favorite food.  That will never change.  When Cake Boss and Top Chef had him on, he was made cookies.  He was given a HUGE one by Cake Boss.  Like I said, all is still right with the world.  He just flings out some PC words for the stupid who apparently never watched.  I don't see his diet changed all that much if you take all of his history into account.

All right. I'll concede to your rational argument and take comfort in being corrected. Thank you.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2011 - 2:54PM #17
shirleyj227

Mar 12, 2011 -- 2:52PM, Yavanna wrote:

Mar 12, 2011 -- 8:54AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

All right. I'll concede to your rational argument and take comfort in being corrected. Thank you.

Oh she does that to all of us that is why we love her.

Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 11:24AM #18
sydneymoon

Mar 10, 2011 -- 9:08AM, Christianlib wrote:

A good rule of thumb for healthier eating.  In the supermarket, never buy anything with a cartoon character on the package.

This made me laugh.

Mar 10, 2011 -- 9:08AM, Christianlib wrote:

Those products are almost guaranteed to be over-priced empty calories.

Maybe it's so costly because of the overhead to maintain the cartoon character....you know, hair, make-up, wardrobe, publicity, agents, etc. I understand some of them can be real prima donnas.

Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 4:37PM #19
Hatman
MM-
Quite an interesting article; it took a good bit of reading before the importance of the Cap'n Crunch whistle was revealed, however.

As to the sorta-subject of the thread, i think i prefer the kind of cereal made popular by the artist who drew Calvin' n' Hobbes, now once-upon-a-time, alas:  "Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs."

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 4:45PM #20
Bezant

Mar 10, 2011 -- 12:19PM, Ken wrote:

I once ate a bowl of Cap'n Crunch. It made me feel slightly nauseated.

Same here. I hate peanut butter. Good riddance as far as my stomach's concerned.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook