Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Cap'n Crunch Forced into Early Retirement
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 10:44PM #1
Ironhold
link

Between the Obama administration and a number of critics in the health industry, Quaker has announced that Cap'n Crunch is being forced into early retirement.

First, the Cookie Monster.

Now the Cap'n.

WHO'S NEXT?!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 10:49PM #2
Erey

WEll I love Captin Crunch and I really like crunch berries but it is a dessert or a sugary snack, not a meal. 

I never buy the cereal because it is not a good thing to eat for breakfast. 

Still I always thought I could get it if I wanted to and I find it a little unsettling that it will not be completely unavailable to me. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2011 - 11:18PM #3
mountain_man

For some little known, and interesting, history connected with this cereal and the wistle that used to come with it; read this. I knew some of those guys.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 12:15AM #4
MMarcoe

Mar 9, 2011 -- 10:44PM, Ironhold wrote:

link

Between the Obama administration and a number of critics in the health industry, Quaker has announced that Cap'n Crunch is being forced into early retirement.

First, the Cookie Monster.

Now the Cap'n.

WHO'S NEXT?!

Hopefully Lucky Charms, Trix, Cocoa Puffs, and the rest of the sugar crew.

Oh, I love them just as much as the next overprivileged American, but they're wrecking our health.

That's why I'm growing my own oats this year and eating them for breakfast instead.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 7:50AM #5
IreneAdler

Oh my.   Another symbol of childhood put to pasture.

We used to beg for this one–to no avail. Mom wasn’t gonna have a bunch of over-sugared brats on her hands (just regular brats-LOL!).

Does this apply to all the varieties?

FYI: Cap’n Crunch cereal as ‘health’ food:

A short while back, a cooking magazine developed a lower calorie peanut butter cookie recipe.  Very good one too.  Cut a great deal of the fat by replacing a great portion of the peanut butter with… wait for it… crushed Cap’n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch cereal! 

While lower in fat, these cookies certainly contain a hellacious amount of sugar.  No better than the originals, IMHO.

Irene.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 9:08AM #6
Christianlib

A good rule of thumb for healthier eating.  In the supermarket, never buy anything with a cartoon character on the package.

Those products are almost guaranteed to be over-priced empty calories.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 12:19PM #7
Ken

I once ate a bowl of Cap'n Crunch. It made me feel slightly nauseated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 12:25PM #8
mountain_man

Mar 10, 2011 -- 12:19PM, Ken wrote:

I once ate a bowl of Cap'n Crunch. It made me feel slightly nauseated.

You needed to put more sugar on top.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 3:37PM #9
Ironhold

There's been an update.

Based on the internet backdraft that came about, Quaker clarified their position on the matter.

The Cap'n is here to stay. 

Rather, they're shifting the marketing of the cereal so that it becomes a nostalgia brand for adults.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2011 - 3:46PM #10
Christianlib

They helped produce the overweight, diabetic kids, they need to keep up the good work now that those kids need to be maintained as overweight, diabetic adults.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook