4 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2011 - 7:24PM #1
Roodog
I was speaking to my brother and the subject came up that the US is importing the bulk of its veggies from abroad.

What the Hell?

We have some of the best farm land in the world and we are IMPORTING our veggies?
What gives and why are we importing stuff that we can grow ourselves?
For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2011 - 7:37PM #2
rocketjsquirell

We mostly import out of season fruits and vegetables. Why do you think you can have fresh summer vegetables in the middle of winter? The answer is South America!

Why we import things such as garlic from China, I will never know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2011 - 11:00PM #3
MMarcoe

In the summer here in Wisconsin, we get most of our produce from California or other states, or from overseas.

Lettuce from 3000 miles away, when it's perfectly possible to grow it here?

It all comes down to cost. They grow it more cheaply over there, and often they get government subsidies to help them to grow it. Oh, and they hire those unskilled Mexicans to work for low pay and crappy conditions. Ever since the big spinach scare of 2006, I've put my foot down (cow feces in your spinach -- yum!) I NEVER buy my produce from out of state unless it's something I can't grow myself, like peppers in winter or bananas all year round.

This is bullshit, man. Support your local farmers! Learn their names! Talk to them! Better yet, grow your own food!

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 12:55AM #4
Roodog

I can understand imports in Wintertime, but not while we can grow the damned veggies our selves.

Heavens, man, we should at least export food and not just jobs!

We have the best damned farmland in the world and by Heaven we ought to grow enough to feed ourselves.

It's a good idea to garden, and keep an eye on damned Federal regulations on food production.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 1:49AM #5
DotNotInOz

The easy answer why we import so many raw foods is as was stated earlier, because we want things waaaaay out of season. We want what we want when we want it, nevermind that there's mounting evidence that our bodies work better when we eat things that are in season where we live. Just as it's been found by various studies that working the graveyard shift isn't healthy because we're naturally meant to sleep at night, same thing appears to be true of eating fruits and veggies not in season. We're screwing up our internal clocks and our health as a result.

From what I've read, it's actually less expensive with a lower carbon footprint to fly in massive amounts of fresh produce from countries where it is seasonal than for local producers to truck what they grow to farmers markets and nearby distributors. So, guess what most Americans will do? Yep, go for instant gratification and lower prices.  

You want asparagus during the holiday season? Buy it frozen or get over your need to have it all whenever the mood strikes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 10:50AM #6
BDboy

Feb 23, 2011 -- 1:49AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

The easy answer why we import so many raw foods is as was stated earlier, because we want things waaaaay out of season. We want what we want when we want it, nevermind that there's mounting evidence that our bodies work better when we eat things that are in season where we live. Just as it's been found by various studies that working the graveyard shift isn't healthy because we're naturally meant to sleep at night, same thing appears to be true of eating fruits and veggies not in season. We're screwing up our internal clocks and our health as a result.

From what I've read, it's actually less expensive with a lower carbon footprint to fly in massive amounts of fresh produce from countries where it is seasonal than for local producers to truck what they grow to farmers markets and nearby distributors. So, guess what most Americans will do? Yep, go for instant gratification and lower prices.  

You want asparagus during the holiday season? Buy it frozen or get over your need to have it all whenever the mood strikes.

>>>>>>> Well put.....

There is a "Price" for everything. As long most people are willing to pay for it, it gets there. Like organic food.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 11:22AM #7
writingal1

"I was speaking to my brother and the subject came up that the US is importing the bulk of its veggies from abroad.

What the Hell?

We have some of the best farm land in the world and we are IMPORTING our veggies?
What gives and why are we importing stuff that we can grow ourselves?"

United Fruit Company anybody?

Doesn't ANYONE know any history?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 11:39AM #8
Christianlib

PLUS,  Vast tracts of US farm land are given over to growing Soy Beans and Corn---for animal feed, bio-fuels, chemicals, and exports.

Also, much is given over to wheat--both for domestic use and export.

AND, you will note, Soy Beans, Corn, and Wheat are much more easily farmed on a large scale with machinery that are more tender products like fresh fruits and veggies--thus, they are less labor intensive.  Once again, US jobs have been shipped offshore in the name of efficiency.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 12:16PM #9
DotNotInOz

Feb 23, 2011 -- 10:50AM, BDboy wrote:

Feb 23, 2011 -- 1:49AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

>>>>>>> Well put.....

Glad you think so.

There is a "Price" for everything. As long most people are willing to pay for it, it gets there. Like organic food.

Well, here's where we part company a bit. Organic food really tastes far better. It's not rushed to market before it's at least quite close to ripeness, for one thing. We were amazed how much like fresh-from-the-garden produce organic onions and potatoes taste when I first decided to buy some things organic. Generally speaking, that's so as well as some evidence indicating that because they're grown more naturally, organics contain more nutrients and far less chemical residue. You don't, for instance, have to peel organic cukes because they aren't coated with wax like commercial ones.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 1:44AM #10
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook